• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
During today's walk around I found a potential problem just waiting to spring on me. Had the belt been in a different position I never would have seen it, sorry took belt off before I took pictures.

View attachment 710889View attachment 710890

New belt installed and old belt in my just in case pile...

View attachment 710891

Check those belts and hoses.
Yeah. They start to make a funny pulsating noise with they split like that.

Glad you caught it before total failure.

twisted60

Yeah. They start to make a funny pulsating noise with they split like that.

Glad you caught it before total failure.
Just drove her last Sat, did not notice anything out of the ordinary. I am glad I caught it also, quick and easy fix when you have the part on hand, better to change it on a sunny day and not a rainy night...

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The antenna mount I see on your fender...Are they worth anything? Was on work travel this week and U turned at what ended up being a huge junk yard. Had to walk what felt like a mile but found several 5 ton carcasses. Not in too bad a shape with trees growing up through them. Several had this mount on it as well as different mounting apparatuses between the seats. Did not have time to wrench on things that day but will be back in that area again. I did grab a windshield washer assembly and found the top half of an exhaust with the flapper thing on top. Thought I needed one of those! I guess I should make it a point to get whatever I can off these? Some are cabs only. Maybe just get the whole cab? Thoughts on value? Not sure I need all that but thinking of other SS members.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed engine oil and filter
Trans spin-on filter also.

Will do fuel filters this weekend when they arrive in the mail.
Air dryer cartridge also.

lindsey97

The antenna mount I see on your fender...Are they worth anything? Was on work travel this week and U turned at what ended up being a huge junk yard. Had to walk what felt like a mile but found several 5 ton carcasses. Not in too bad a shape with trees growing up through them. Several had this mount on it as well as different mounting apparatuses between the seats. Did not have time to wrench on things that day but will be back in that area again. I did grab a windshield washer assembly and found the top half of an exhaust with the flapper thing on top. Thought I needed one of those! I guess I should make it a point to get whatever I can off these? Some are cabs only. Maybe just get the whole cab? Thoughts on value? Not sure I need all that but thinking of other SS members.
$50-100 on the antenna mount. Would be interested in seeing the radio trays in the middle of the truck, as they are not that common either.

lindsey97

First load of firewood for the winter. I always find too much enjoyment driving through my brother-in-law's food plot...

The camera location doesn't do the grade of the trail any justice. It's steep and a natural spring keeps the bottom of it slick and muddy.

The really steep part didn't get recorded, hence my cameo in the beginning to make sure it was actually recording this time.

https://youtu.be/lKjGxRokhts
Be careful out there. At the beginning of the film, there was a furry sasquatch thing that jumped onto the side of the truck.

therooster2001

I guess I should make it a point to get whatever I can off these? Some are cabs only. Maybe just get the whole cab? Thoughts on value? Not sure I need all that but thinking of other SS members.
After 5 trips to a salvage yard, my thoughts are grab anything and everything if it's in good shape. We sort of kicked ourselves when the fun stopped and recounted what we could have gotten that went to the crusher. However, it's a bit tough to get rid of stuff sometimes. 24v stuff is always recommended, plus heavy stuff (t-case, driveshafts) as sometime shipping one can kill your good deal. If you're lucky enough for the A2's , grab the hard to find CTIS stuff like the pressure sensor. Don't bother with things that you can get at Napa like air valves unless they are giving them away. Shoot I even grabbed Jerry can holders and mud flaps once. Totally swapped out some duds for some nice ones.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Bwana, it surely is a disease, but a wonderful one to have. Drove 100 miles coming home to avoid highways and legs and butt were numb. Was fun getting my right foot on the brake pedal with the spring full soft and seat as far back as possible. I am 6' 2" and 275. The driver's area was very full. Now I know why the little soldiers get to drive. [thumbzup] :doh: Guys like me get the M-60 and ammo.
Moose? What’s up? You buy a truck, Post that you drove it home, and now ... 3 months later ... Where did you go? Hopefully you are having fun and not problems with the new ride.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After 5 trips to a salvage yard, my thoughts are grab anything and everything if it's in good shape. We sort of kicked ourselves when the fun stopped and recounted what we could have gotten that went to the crusher. However, it's a bit tough to get rid of stuff sometimes. 24v stuff is always recommended, plus heavy stuff (t-case, driveshafts) as sometime shipping one can kill your good deal. If you're lucky enough for the A2's , grab the hard to find CTIS stuff like the pressure sensor. Don't bother with things that you can get at Napa like air valves unless they are giving them away. Shoot I even grabbed Jerry can holders and mud flaps once. Totally swapped out some duds for some nice ones.
Yes most still had the CTIS control next to shifter.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What, No drone footage?!

First load of firewood for the winter. I always find too much enjoyment driving through my brother-in-law's food plot...

The camera location doesn't do the grade of the trail any justice. It's steep and a natural spring keeps the bottom of it slick and muddy.

The really steep part didn't get recorded, hence my cameo in the beginning to make sure it was actually recording this time.

https://youtu.be/lKjGxRokhts

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know where “Someoldmoose” went? He was so excited about his new truck, posting a lot, learning a lot, then he got it, and we have not seen him since. His last post was the day he drove it home more than 3 months ago.

Anyone know him personally? He seemed like a nice guy, and he was so excited about his truck. I hate to see him fall through the cracks without anyone noticing.

therooster2001

Yes most still had the CTIS control next to shifter.
Well then grab the CPU, all the wheel valves, counterbalance and hardware, and the pneumatic valve (on the cab floor), the pressure sensor is near the PPV, by the wet tank, and is super fragile looking dongle / harness. I'm all set, but several people on here were looking for that piece. And in case you need a gauge or two, it's easier to take the whole dash than to just try to grab an individual gauge. And while I'm thinking of random small stuff, grab the proper temp A2 shutter stat, they seem to have gotten expensive and scarce. I would strip these things to the bones, when I had a bare classis, I still got CTIS hub hoses (seriously try to find those on eBay), and I even grabbed the brake shoes and springs off them as someone had took the hubs. I should have grabbed bearings, but I didn't know how long they had been exposed. Ether assemblies, Mufflers, dog bones, spare tire holders, fuel filter assemblies, even fuel caps are fair game. It was SUPER fun in the salvage yard, hope they take care of you on price. It's also a place where you can practice on a doomed or broken truck so you don't break your truck. We need pictures.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know where “Someoldmoose” went? He was so excited about his new truck, posting a lot, learning a lot, then he got it, and we have not seen him since. His last post was the day he drove it home more than 3 months ago.

Anyone know him personally? He seemed like a nice guy, and he was so excited about his truck. I hate to see him fall through the cracks without anyone noticing.

His stats show this:

Join Date 04-06-2017

Last Activity 10-16-2017 13:58

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks