• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

sandcobra164

Eli,
Picture looks good. Not sure if you towed it just like that but if you did I need to give you a wag of the finger. I don't see safety chains. Basically you need to have chains that run from the front axle of your deuce to the rear shackles of your 5 ton in the event a towbar pin fails. It rarely happens but in the event it does, you need to maintain control of your towed load. I have towed many trucks and have never broken a pin but it helps provide peace of mind.

Joseph

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Eli,
Picture looks good. Not sure if you towed it just like that but if you did I need to give you a wag of the finger. I don't see safety chains. Basically you need to have chains that run from the front axle of your deuce to the rear shackles of your 5 ton in the event a towbar pin fails. It rarely happens but in the event it does, you need to maintain control of your towed load. I have towed many trucks and have never broken a pin but it helps provide peace of mind.

Joseph
Thanks for the tip sir, I need to acquire some. Extra Insurance is cheap compared to a runaway load. This was a minor test run around a 10 block area at speeds reaching 20

74M35A2

He's probably ok, I haven't contacted him directly about anything. If I ever burn my alternator up I'll probably reach out to him.
SC, we haven’t even done business together yet, thanks for being reasonable.

Not sure why Simp is saying such, sorry to hear it. Bought him lunch the first and only time I met him, helped him at one of his offload sites for free when requested, gave him a brand new Delco brushless alternator and new gear reduction starter for $0 incl shipping (in future hopes of fair used tire pricing), and donated a starter spacing ring he was missing and needed urgently plus the overnight shipping cost of it. Yep, my service sucks, especially for -$.

74M35A2

Drilled and tapped 12 new torque rod end links for retainer plates. Next up, swap them out with the old/failed ones. Ordered a 2-1/4" offset striking wrench to hopefully fit the center nuts without disassembling spring pack. Worst case, make the Swampdonkey socket tool.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drilled and tapped 12 new torque rod end links for retainer plates. Next up, swap them out with the old/failed ones. Ordered a 2-1/4" offset striking wrench to hopefully fit the center nuts without disassembling spring pack. Worst case, make the Swampdonkey socket tool.
We need some pics of your work.:D

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hardhead winch mount going in on buddy’s 923A2. Would love to say I did the work. I did some advising. One man job. No sweat. Not for me. He worked his tail off.

C2E73E5F-F7C2-4045-9287-60BBA4A9516A.jpg

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will someone teach him to weld please?

74M35A2

Here’s your pic, they were my welding instructors.

D78A4D55-8522-49F8-9B9C-D563A928A81C.jpg

I don’t want to clog this thread with me or conflict, there is enough of that in my own threads.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Drove it to fellow member Welder1's shop. I'm going to summer camp with the National Guard soon and my better half didn't want it in the yard. For me it's no trouble to move around before cutting grass but she'd rather not mess with it. After getting it on fresh diesel last night, it cold started faster than it has in a while. Got to highway speed on the double nickels very quickly after a cold start. Even ran around 65 to 70 mph without straining much on Hwy 82/520 for a few miles. The changes made over the past few weeks have been good, hate to leave it for a month but it's sitting at a good place. Fenced in and out of the way.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Drove it to fellow member Welder1's shop. I'm going to summer camp with the National Guard soon and my better half didn't want it in the yard. For me it's no trouble to move around before cutting grass but she'd rather not mess with it. After getting it on fresh diesel last night, it cold started faster than it has in a while. Got to highway speed on the double nickels very quickly after a cold start. Even ran around 65 to 70 mph without straining much on Hwy 82/520 for a few miles. The changes made over the past few weeks have been good, hate to leave it for a month but it's sitting at a good place. Fenced in and out of the way.
If you had air conditioning she would not mind moving it. ha!

sandcobra164

If you had air conditioning she would not mind moving it. ha!
If I had A/C and ran windows up to the GA Rally get together, my Deuce friends who roll with me may think I've gone a little too "high brow"! Since getting into the 5 ton community 3 years ago, I actually go to work on Monday following the 180 mile drive home on Sunday. They've let the automatic and power steering slide. They don't realize how much quieter it is inside with the NHC-250 turning 1,800 to 1,900 to roll with them while they are screaming at 2,400 to 2,600. It's all a balancing act. I was happy my truck "woke up" recently. Even heavy traffic was no problem as it no longer takes 2 minutes to get to 45 mph. Now when it's in high gear and rolling, I can let up on the go pedal at 65 mph. In case no one was keeping tabs, mods recently were desplined hubs on the front axle, duel fuel line mod for the NHC-250, turn rebuilt injection pump up 1/4 turn on main fuel screw in throttle shaft, run truck to empty to get back close to straight diesel in the tank vice a 50/50 blend of waste atf/diesel. Replaced the fuel filter, installed inner fender liners on the front end. Next modification will be to get a huge air filter like my buddy Simp. He runs heavy without a turbo and runs alot of miles. I would do the opposite but modifying the intake would be alot easier than gathering the parts to turbocharge the engine.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If I had A/C and ran windows up to the GA Rally get together, my Deuce friends who roll with me may think I've gone a little too "high brow"! Since getting into the 5 ton community 3 years ago, I actually go to work on Monday following the 180 mile drive home on Sunday. They've let the automatic and power steering slide. They don't realize how much quieter it is inside with the NHC-250 turning 1,800 to 1,900 to roll with them while they are screaming at 2,400 to 2,600. It's all a balancing act. I was happy my truck "woke up" recently. Even heavy traffic was no problem as it no longer takes 2 minutes to get to 45 mph.
Ask Jeff Davis about the 4th of July parade last year in Sumrall, MS. four 5 tons riding around at a whole 5mph thru this town for about 30 minutes. I'm not dumb. I had my windows up with the A/C on low and I was shivering Get back to the parade rally point and all the other 5 ton drivers look like they had ran a marathon. pfft.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What is a ballpark price to add air conditioning to one of these (M939 series)? I imagine it requires a hard cab top? I have that part.
ThoseMilitaryguys makes a kit. I pieced my own together for under $1000 including everything. My blower unit is meant to cool and heat the rear of an MRAP. 36k btu cool/48k btu heat. NHC250 brackets can be harder to make and source out. I used a condensor/fan unit i found on ebay for $100.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...tures-of-their-install&highlight=conditioning

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had AC with a soft top. It still works fine. Not as great as with a hard top, but it’s still cool inside. Worth it. Every penny.

$1500 if you use the Red Dot full kit. $1k on eBay for kit, $500 for everything else. Some will say less, definitely possible.

If you buy a complete NOS Red Dot humvee Kit and then a compressor and an ac bracket from some guy here on SS. or you can pick and choose through eBay for all the parts. when it’s said and done, you can slide in a little lower.

I knew nothing about AC. Nothing! So I did a pretty complete write up on here for the A2 crowd. Another member (“over” I think is his handle) did a good write up for the NHC 250 guys. Both of us used the NOS Red Dot kit. PM me if you go that route. I’ll be happy to answer any questions. I bought two more for my other two trucks. Need to get on that before it gets hot!

Last edited:

74M35A2

For those that don’t want to sacrifice interior room, you can use a cab roof mounted unit (Red Dot R-9777 or equivalent. Some are also using an under-dash kit from Vintage Air or such, and these are around $500. A third option is to put the evaporator into the heater core box, but it will never recirculate, so would not get as cold.

I make a very low cost kit to easily add the compressor onto the 8.3L. Simp was makung one for the 250 engine. The R-977 cab roof unit has a condenser and fans mounted within it, so you only need to add the compressor. You can get it with or without heat. I bought mine as NOS off eBay in 24v version, for cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks