• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Mos68x

I like the AC/heat combo idea assuming the heat is off of propane. When I looked at the 12k unit you had linked it looked as if it was AC only, but space-wise I think it could work. I could put it in one of the cabinets for the utilities.

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter

someoldmoose

Like the heat pump idea. That one was just out of stock where I checked. Back to a previous post. Saw in the Deuce thread where a fella by-passed his air-pac making the brakes manual ( no boost ). Wondered if that would work on mine. Any input ? Not a permanent solution but I figure it could kill two chickens with one rock. If the disappearing pedal stops disappearing and I can at least move the old girl what's the harm ? I will make proper repairs A S A F P but do not have the money for a booster or kit in the near future. Won't be driving her often or far or carrying / towing anything. Just wanna get the turning parts turning once in a while.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

PMCS then 62 miles of around town / riding through the country driving. Went to recycle cans but they were closed, ate breakfast, returned and my little buddy got paid $11 dollars. Then went to 2 different Wal-Marts to find a book he wanted. Stopped by the Pilot to fill up and rode through the country side on the scenic route home. Even made time to ride by a railroad classification yard and toot our air horn at some sleeping Norfolk Southern trains. One thing I've learned thanks to you fine people is these trucks need to be run and run hard! Ever since I adopted that mindset my truck has been much more enjoyable. More power, less smoke and smoother sidewalls are the results! Old picture but my little buddy was smiling this big the whole time.

Attachments

tobyS

The Amish near Napanee Indiana buy cheap foreign made new refrigerators and take out almost all the refrigeration components and put in an ammonia absorption system for use with propane. They do like 20 at a time. It's a (small) full size refrigerator that they make. I believe they last a very long time also.

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Amish near Napanee Indiana buy cheap foreign made new refrigerators and take out almost all the refrigeration components and put in an ammonia absorption system for use with propane. They do like 20 at a time. It's a (small) full size refrigerator that they make. I believe they last a very long time also.
Lot of info on this site for propane fridges that the Amish make.
https://maliasmiles.com/amish-cooling-units/

tobyS

Yea, JC Refrigeration is where I stopped one day. The article appears to say they have a quality unit after one reads past the first part about Norcold problems.

Mos68x

Lot of info on this site for propane fridges that the Amish make.
https://maliasmiles.com/amish-cooling-units/
I’m chasing through the articles now, looks good. Truth be told, I’ve been wanting to build my own fridge anyways so I can super insulate it, but having all the nice stuff inside is nice too lol. I’ll probably just go with a residential apartment sized fridge and just be done with it, and later maybe I’d change it to the Amish cooling unit.

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m chasing through the articles now, looks good. Truth be told, I’ve been wanting to build my own fridge anyways so I can super insulate it, but having all the nice stuff inside is nice too lol. I’ll probably just go with a residential apartment sized fridge and just be done with it, and later maybe I’d change it to the Amish cooling unit.
thats my thoughts exactly. ive also heard that using a stand up freezer is the good cause they have more insulation and you just set it at the highest temp. Ive heard some people install a switch so they can be turned off at night to save energy and just turn them back on in the morning.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you need a 3 way RV fridge, not cheap new but may find a decent deal out of an old junk camper or RV.

tobyS

It would be nice to have both, electric and LP.

I think the JC people used a freezer box for the extra insulation. Wonder if anyone has priced an LP refrig from them?

Bhpdbrad

51B9C9FE-5928-4C22-BEFF-BC594DFB34AA.jpgA47636DA-8CF0-4078-90B5-ACBA099B51D0.jpg

Mounted my Bridge Weight Plate - and (of course) had to display the number that seems to be mandated by the hobbyist group.

Haha - I know all about commercial vehicle weight limits and axle combos.... but I don’t believe I’ll be waived off an approach at any bridge crossings for being “over weight”.

sandcobra164

My truck has developed a slight oil leak at the front of the engine. It appears to be coming from the accessory drive seal, leaking down the front cover and blown down the drivers side of the engine block / oil lines / etc. I've got to clean everything up and see just how much of a leak it is. It finally got everything saturated enough to put about 2 drops of oil on the ground in about a 1 hour period. Oil level still read at the full mark so I don't think it's time to tear into the front of the engine just yet. If it does happen it'll be after Durhamtown in October. Heck my buddy Simp might change it for me while I'm there now that he knows about it. He just can't seem to sit still for very long at all. One positive note, my fuel looks nice and amber again. Short back story, I had been running about a 50/50 mixture of waste atf / diesel for the past 3 years. The mixture cleaned and polished through a series of filters leading to a centrifuge that my friend Welder1 built. I finally quit using the mixture once the truck started looking like the local mosquito spraying service at all times. These 250's just don't have the compression to burn the mixture very cleanly. It didn't show the effects too much at first but once it got the inside of the exhaust nice and oily, the smoking never seemed to stop. One time I even thought the battery box under the passenger seat was on fire but it turned out to be an exhaust leak between the flex joint and the hard pipe under the cab. It was smoking and dripping oil from the exhaust pipe down the passenger side frame rail. That was the point where I had to say "enough is enough".

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My truck has developed a slight oil leak at the front of the engine. It appears to be coming from the accessory drive seal, leaking down the front cover and blown down the drivers side of the engine block / oil lines / etc. I've got to clean everything up and see just how much of a leak it is. It finally got everything saturated enough to put about 2 drops of oil on the ground in about a 1 hour period. Oil level still read at the full mark so I don't think it's time to tear into the front of the engine just yet. If it does happen it'll be after Durhamtown in October. Heck my buddy Simp might change it for me while I'm there now that he knows about it. He just can't seem to sit still for very long at all. One positive note, my fuel looks nice and amber again. Short back story, I had been running about a 50/50 mixture of waste atf / diesel for the past 3 years. The mixture cleaned and polished through a series of filters leading to a centrifuge that my friend Welder1 built. I finally quit using the mixture once the truck started looking like the local mosquito spraying service at all times. These 250's just don't have the compression to burn the mixture very cleanly. It didn't show the effects too much at first but once it got the inside of the exhaust nice and oily, the smoking never seemed to stop. One time I even thought the battery box under the passenger seat was on fire but it turned out to be an exhaust leak between the flex joint and the hard pipe under the cab. It was smoking and dripping oil from the exhaust pipe down the passenger side frame rail. That was the point where I had to say "enough is enough".
Swamp rere just did his acc drive seal awhile back. You do not need the puller or installer. Mine leaks but it's for rustproofing purposes. And I'm too lazy when I'm about to swap an engine.
Especially having to pull the water pump and readjust that belt

Get all your antifreeze ready.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sandcobra164

Thanks kindly Simp, if mine doesn't show a bad leak once everything is cleaned up it will wait some time. I never did change the head gasket on my Deuce when it started leaking at the passenger side front of the block. I ran it 5 years and sold it that way. No rust will ever take hold of the passenger side of that block and it never leaked enough to be a major concern. I think I'll stick with Welder1's logic of "you can create a huge mess sometimes when trying to fix a minor issue". I'll wait at least until my Durhamtown trip is completed to take on the task. If it were my better half's Tahoe, the oil leak would need attention immediately. Thanks to a 27 quart oiling system, this can ride for a while as yours has.

sandcobra164

Almost towed the M1028 CUCV home. I did intercept and follow them home. My better half went down the road in it to get my little buddy a scoop of ice cream. CUCV started losing power going down the road and shut off turning into a parking lot. Almost got hit but luckily she got into the parking lot with no incident. Started right back up and made it back home. I drove it and have concluded it's time for another new fuel filter. CUCV runs great at lower speeds but sustained 55-60 mph speeds will cause it to starve for fuel and it will eventually lose throttle response and speed and then shut off. I put some fuel system cleaner in it last night and it must have shook some crud loose. That fuel filter probably has a pile of junk on it now.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If your foot was broke again I would come do it for ya. Ha
Thanks kindly Simp, if mine doesn't show a bad leak once everything is cleaned up it will wait some time. I never did change the head gasket on my Deuce when it started leaking at the passenger side front of the block. I ran it 5 years and sold it that way. No rust will ever take hold of the passenger side of that block and it never leaked enough to be a major concern. I think I'll stick with Welder1's logic of "you can create a huge mess sometimes when trying to fix a minor issue". I'll wait at least until my Durhamtown trip is completed to take on the task. If it were my better half's Tahoe, the oil leak would need attention immediately. Thanks to a 27 quart oiling system, this can ride for a while as yours has.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sandcobra164

If I broke my foot a second time messing with this old mess, there would be a free to good home thread for anything MV related. I plan on keeping the wheels spinning and the beavers grinning!!! Quoted Smokey and the Bandit for that line!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks