• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

jaws4518

Cold Beer
You will notice how high he was, pulling up killed the other puller, transferred ALL the weight to him, a sure win.
Yeah, if I had 20k of Ag tires on my truck I would be hard to beat also. Did RWP have to build a special road to get him into the place? If this guy shows up it will be interesting to see what his routine is all about. I bet he comes in on a low-boy with tires stacked. Then, he's got a mobile shop & crew working for two days to put the **** tires on. I only have 14k total invested in my rig. 10k for the truck w/17 hrs on it out of the depot, 2400 on new tires, oil, grease, and a few extras. I already won!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Missed out on buying an M543 gasser for $2000, and had to pass on what “appears” to once have been a CCKW modified into a all out skidder truck for logging. What a shame.

sandcobra164

Made and installed a patch panel for my doghouse thanks to Welder1. I cut a hole into it rather than remove it when I installed my dual fuel line set-up that Simp made for me. The cut I made was not very pretty but the cover panel makes it look factory. Now I need to buy some shrink tubing to slide over the bolt heads and build up some rubberized undercoating to restore the original insulation factor. That little patch panel gets hot! Other than that, drove 60 miles today and the old NHC-250 is running great. I even had to back out going down the expressway a few times as it will easily hit 2,200 rpm on the flats at maybe 1/4 throttle thanks to Simp's tuning advice. I even washed it some in preparation for a parade next weekend. Gotta get some paint for the hardtop!

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Made and installed a patch panel for my doghouse thanks to Welder1. I cut a hole into it rather than remove it when I installed my dual fuel line set-up that Simp made for me. The cut I made was not very pretty but the cover panel makes it look factory. Now I need to buy some shrink tubing to slide over the bolt heads and build up some rubberized undercoating to restore the original insulation factor. That little patch panel gets hot! Other than that, drove 60 miles today and the old NHC-250 is running great. I even had to back out going down the expressway a few times as it will easily hit 2,200 rpm on the flats at maybe 1/4 throttle thanks to Simp's tuning advice. I even washed it some in preparation for a parade next weekend. Gotta get some paint for the hardtop!
I will send you the Injection pump I took off my NHC250 if you want to put it on for the rally and try it out.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Installed the 915 bumper. Did a few things to it today. Installed a extra air tank since doing the 915 battery box and drivers side tank i actually lost 2 smaller air tanks so I installed this bigger one on the bumper space.

I plan on doing a toolbox on the drivers side outer frame as well as a grate cover for the winch that will be on a hinge so i can fold it up to access the free spool.

Having to upgrade some fuel line for capacity reasons. Just not enough volume with the 3/8" hoses.

Attachments

sandcobra164

I will send you the Injection pump I took off my NHC250 if you want to put it on for the rally and try it out.
I think I'm good. I really don't want to change up something that's working good. I'm sure you're take off pump would be awesome and would only take about a hour to swap but I'm sticking to an annual oil change and lube job on the truck prior to going to Durhamtown. The less I mess with the less I can mess up. With it's current pump I have to back out considerably to keep it off 2,200 rpms on the flats in 5th gear. The shop that rebuilt the pump set it 10% over factory, I've turned the throttle shaft screw 1/2 a turn counterclockwise. It's pretty strong now and almost no black smoke under heavy throttle. I can't wait to ride in the Big Cam M923. The videos you've put on YouTube are awesome.

Spyderman

Took the truck to Heroes day here in Alexandria. To celebrate first responders and military. Had a good time. Bad thing is my alternator went out driving home. Now I need a new one before driving to the machine gun shoot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Took the truck to Heroes day here in Alexandria. To celebrate first responders and military. Had a good time. Bad thing is my alternator went out driving home. Now I need a new one before driving to the machine gun shoot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Should be able to pick up a brushless clone for $100 or so on ebay. Just gotta make some spacers for the bracket.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Man simp, I love your truck!
Its pretty nice now. Need a few more things and she will be set.

Added a Access panel to the winch today. need to add some hinges to the rear side but it hides it away pretty nice. Not bad for the rear tractor grates off a 915.

Attachments

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Father and I just went through both rear axles. We found 3 bad/froze wheel cylinders (lots of rusty crud), all springs were rusted with no tension, a brake drum with some shallow heat cracking (still useable), and 1 bad inner bearing. We replaced with all new cylinders, seals, springs, push rods, and gaskets. We pressure washed all the gunk off before we put the new hardware on, so the hubs look clean now. Just waiting for Memphis Equipment to open so I can go pick up a new inner bearing. Yesterday I called every parts place open on Sunday, and after cross-referencing the part number, the closest store that had the inner bearing and race was in Little Rock. I'm not driving 2 1/2 hours to save $20 on the bearing. and race. Oh we found an easy way to put the inner seals on, and the ready sleeve/wiper ring on. The inner seals are kept in the freezer over night so the shrink some (much easier to drop them in that way). The wiper ring/ready sleeve spent 30 minutes in the over at 500 degrees, and they just slid on the spindle with out having to drive them on. Some time soon, I'm going to drain the rear axles and replace the old gear oil.HPIM2407.jpgHPIM2408.jpgHPIM2405.jpgHPIM2406.jpg

UPDATE
We picked up the new bearing from Memphis Bearing Co., They had the lowest price. If we had known of MHC, we would have went there Sunday, instead of waiting for Monday. Everything is back together now. Next I'll bee draining the diff oil and replacing with new.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My Father and I just went through both rear axles. We found 3 bad/froze wheel cylinders (lots of rusty crud), all springs were rusted with no tension, a brake drum with some shallow heat cracking (still useable), and 1 bad inner bearing. We replaced with all new cylinders, seals, springs, push rods, and gaskets. We pressure washed all the gunk off before we put the new hardware on, so the hubs look clean now. Just waiting for Memphis Equipment to open so I can go pick up a new inner bearing. Yesterday I called every parts place open on Sunday, and after cross-referencing the part number, the closest store that had the inner bearing and race was in Little Rock. I'm not driving 2 1/2 hours to save $20 on the bearing. and race. Oh we found an easy way to put the inner seals on, and the ready sleeve/wiper ring on. The inner seals are kept in the freezer over night so the shrink some (much easier to drop them in that way). The wiper ring/ready sleeve spent 30 minutes in the over at 500 degrees, and they just slid on the spindle with out having to drive them on. Some time soon, I'm going to drain the rear axles and replace the old gear oil.
The napa out here by my house has the bearing and race set in stock. You can use a 594a bearing in a pinch.

Also MHC Truck is open 24hrs 7 days a week and they keep a good many bearings in stock.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks