• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oiled down my front differential, driver's side frame rail and a few spots on my M1102 trailer that I towed thanks to my accessory drive leak on my nifty 250.
I found a nifty use for paint brushes that I used with primer and planned on disposing of (didn't want to waste the $10 paint thinner cleaning) after they got hard. I use them with used synthetic oil from the PU and spot apply the oil, to bolts, etc.

Your method is certainly more effective at an overall lube however. (knocking on wood)

Josh

Pulled the muffler today today to see if made any difference in the drive-ability of my turbo charged M925. Turbo seems to spool faster and build more boost at the same RPMs. Overall its louder but not nearly as bad as my deuce. Id like to get a pipe to get the exhaust tip back up to original height to see if changes the noise in the cab more. Over all was like a 30 minute job from start to finish.
IMG_20181028_152239077.jpg

https://youtu.be/LFN6kcY9K7E

aziator

Pulled the muffler today today to see if made any difference in the drive-ability of my turbo charged M925. Turbo seems to spool faster and build more boost at the same RPMs. Overall its louder but not nearly as bad as my deuce. Id like to get a pipe to get the exhaust tip back up to original height to see if changes the noise in the cab more. Over all was like a 30 minute job from start to finish.
I ended up re-routing mine using 5" pipe, dumped it out just in front of the mudflap over the toolbox, sound isn't bad at all.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reply to Josh....I did that to my 931A2, then got a spark arrestor muffler which has less pressure drop, but is US Forest service approved. Then I got an L to raise it and direct it to the side, where rain could not get in, which was the reason a nearly new muffler was rusted out.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
well besides do some engine mods that i listed in my other thread. Did a 700 mile round trip on Saturday to move a dozer and grab my ISO bed. Then I slapped it on today.... ISO bed frames are alot taller so that is the 16.00s with only the original piece of wood underneath it using no bigger spacer. Uses the same bed mounts as the original bed and it does hang off the rear of the frame like the rest of em. All in all though it was a killer deal for $500. Now I gotta get some paint and get it the right color of green.

Attachments

sandcobra164

Participated in a Veterans Day Parade in my hometown. Accessory Drive on the Nifty 250 inexcplicably quit leaking for now. I've got 3 quarts of engine oil all over the driver's side frame rail, front axle and steering gear from the last 700 miles of driving to the my last two events (Nashville, GA for the 100th Anniversary of the HMS Ortranto Sinking and 2018 GA Rally). At the Parade and at lunch afterward the truck did not leave a drop of oil underneath anywhere. I still plan on replacing the seal and wear sleeve after the Leesburg Christmas Parade but for now will degrease the mess left behind so far. And no it's not adhering to the old 2 stroke Detroit motto of no oil leaking, no oil in it motto.

Attachments

8madjack

Bent my lug nut wrench trying to remove a wheel that leaks down aua

Did a little research on here and wound up spending some money on one of those torque multipliers and a nice beam torque wrench while I'm at it.

There's a tire place not too far away that can do it but it leaks fast enough with a full water tank in the back that I don't feel comfortable driving it there. I figure it's safer to remove the wheel and bring it to them.

Also, I got all my hookups done for my hose reel and firefighting pump20181114_145050.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Bent my lug nut wrench trying to remove a wheel that leaks down aua

Did a little research on here and wound up spending some money on one of those torque multipliers and a nice beam torque wrench while I'm at it.

There's a tire place not too far away that can do it but it leaks fast enough with a full water tank in the back that I don't feel comfortable driving it there. I figure it's safer to remove the wheel and bring it to them.

Also, I got all my hookups done for my hose reel and firefighting pumpView attachment 748353
Dewalt 20v 1/2" High Torque Impact in 20v or the Milwaukee Fuel Series 18v 1/2" impact guns are great for lug work.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Busy week. Got a waterpump put on a 931A1 that was leaking. Then I put a crew duke antenna on my 923 along with an extra air tank. Got the ISO bed all buttoned down. Need to fab up some mudflaps tomorrow. Got a couple coats of paint on it as well.

Stripped the cab on a 932A0 truck pulling everything out in prep work for some rustproofing and insulation along with air ride seats and a center console. Pulled the dashboard apart. Truck wouldn't build air at all thank to a ferocious mouse that chewed up every air line, LUCKILY most were chewed at the dash port so just reuse the old nuts and install new Farrells. But he had made a **** of a nest behind it. Gotta get it all cleaned out tomorrow and new heater duct hoses ran. Going to scrape the floor and spray it with prune spray and then add a thick mat to it and some foam board insulation to the rear of the cab and maybe the floor. Been sitting but is a low hour/mile truck so it is a rare bird for a winch tractor.

Attachments

71DeuceAK

Very nice! I commend you for working to rescue the 932 vs just parting it out as many would do, being the rare model that it is. I have an M928A1 that looks literally in about that same condition...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Very nice! I commend you for working to rescue the 932 vs just parting it out as many would do, being the rare model that it is. I have an M928A1 that looks literally in about that same condition...
This 932 has never gone thru rebuild, No ABS, No Air dryer. Marine Corp Truck. with 98 hours and 300 miles on it.

71DeuceAK

Interesting! Mine is an A1 but lacks the ABS as well. We think it was a really early release, maybe prior to 1999 when the Army started retrofitting ABS into M939 series trucks. It's on NDTs but I think it actually had singles originally. Came from a Texas fire department. Original bed is gone but I'm hoping I can find an accurate replacement.

Mine needs a motor and a few other things but being a rare, oddball model it was well worth saving, plus it was an affordable projects. 3000 bucks and I was finally an M939 series truck. To be completely honest it is literally the first vehicle I've ever owned myself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks