• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

carlandedith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,
I was wanting to know if you are selling the parts to make the 2” civilian hitch.
Added front bumper lower shackles. If you do it remember to ask for hardware, the 'long' bolts are indeed longer.
View attachment 443180
Completed rear 2" Civilian Hitch Receiver w/ Tow Bar and Chain slung over for good measure. I might sell the parts to do this soon, you weld it all up, parts are water jet cut. I am VERY happy w/ the results. You buy the 16,000# Rated Horizontal Bar, bolt it up, weld it up and paint it up. EASY. Adding weight to the rear is very DESIRABLE. This prob adds 400 or so.
View attachment 443181
View attachment 443182
View attachment 443183
View attachment 443184

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Serviced my M543A2 wrecker, Oil, Oil filters, Primary fuel filter, and both
secondary fuel filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure wish you members that post taptalk pictures as a taptalk link would post the pictures up as pictures NOT as a link because,

1-- It is a PAIN IN THE A$$ to to open 10 or more different links to bring them up.
2-- It is the SITE RULES NOT to post picture links because the links WILL DISAPPEAR in time, leaving the thread worthless..
3-- Steel Soldiers is a INTERNET site, designed to run ON the INTERNET NOT a phone, Because Steel Soldiers can be accessed by a phone does NOT mean it is a phone app. Just because some members have a apple product DOES NOT MEAN everybody has a apple something. So PLEASE do not treat STEEL SOLDIERS as a PHONE or a APPLE APP. If some members can post PICTURES FROM taptalk without a link to taptalk there is NO REASON the rest can not.

Last edited:

Ajax MD

It'll go over it, around it or through it, but not in it.

First thing I did after parking it, was drain the water out of the air tanks and clean the windows and gauges.

74M35A2

Who's rooftop solar panels? I put a 6kW array on my house this spring. Have not paid an electric bill since installation in August, including running A/C. They're awesome. Silent, maintenance and fuel free generators!

Ajax MD

Who's rooftop solar panels? I put a 6kW array on my house this spring. Have not paid an electric bill since installation in August, including running A/C. They're awesome. Silent, maintenance and fuel free generators!
They're mine. Even with record rainfall I'm at 96% and it's only been 4 months. The powerwall is on backorder.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Upgraded both my air dryers to SKF Turbo 2000 units.

Installed a fuel rail pressure gauge for monitoring while driving.

Installed a new pickup line for my drivers side transfer pump. The original pickup tube is broken off I believe and it is not accessible very easily to replace it so I used an anchor fitting from parker and installed it with the hose attached and a fitting on the opposite end to keep the line at the bottom of the tank. Works great.

Also installed my pyro into the dash unit.

Attachments

I started taking my park brake on my M52a2 apart to replace the drum shoes and check how true every turns .The drum must have had a damaged spot or high spot that would hit the drum after I adjusted it .

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
welp ended up busting off a transmission rear mount a few weeks back. Due to it being too rigid mounted to the cab cross member. Even with good rubber bushings i guess it needs more flex. The NHC250 was putting out half the amount of torque that this NTC400 is putting out so I am sure that was the root cause. So i installed a flex spring mount for it to sit on. It also broke off 6 bolts in the bellhousing. I was able to extract 2 of them the others were too broke off to drill in the truck so I just swapped the bellhousing out for my spare one I already had. I ended up using a strap over the frame to hold the rear of the transmission up into place and tightened the lower transmission bolts to prevent leaking till i could get it to a place to work on it.

I also swapped my rear main seal while I was in there too, again. One thing on these CAT transmissions is that you have to use a genuine double lipped seal from the dealer and not a national or other brand truck pro sells cause then it will share engine oil with the transmission. It isn't gonna hurt anything but just not good for it. Ponway had the same issue for a bit as well.

So I tried swapping the transmission out by using a transmission jack. Well that didn't work at all. working on not a good surface it is just a pain. So being that it is a quick 8 bolts and 6 air lines for me to remove the cab off it came. Plus cutting a few wires I had rigged in. Removing the fuel solenoid wires and coolant temp wire. I just set it to the side of the truck. Installed the transmission and put the cab back on. This whole process took me about 2 hours. Hardest part is getting the wires redone that I cut on the cab for added stuff like lights/AC/ small crap. I should have just done this from the get go in removing the cab since it is pretty easy. But i tried it the hard way with the transmission jack. I am a moron sometimes.

Changed my oil and ran the grease gun on everything.

But got all that done. Replaced the rear u joint since it was not in good shape from the vibration of the broken mount. Then the day after i got it done picked up a 931a2 from CSMDavis and took it over to Ft. Polk, LA and then headed to profo's for the trip to California.

I am planning on installing foam board insulation under the cab probably today to give me a little floor protection for the winter.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
air filter upgrade as well to an encased inside out flow filter. It is a 1550cfm flow. heat shouldn't be getting to it since it sits a little forward vs the old one that sat back towards the firewall and may have taken some heat in.

I do need to pick up a 7" 90degree bend so it will suck the air directly from the air vent i have there. I did paint it black so it isnt so standoutish.

With the smaller 950 cfm filter i was seeing high 1050 so post turbo after adding the turbo blanket. With this monster I am only seeing 900 to 950 at 80 percent throttle at 20lbs of boost.

Attachments

Last edited:

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simp,

You do more in a day than most of us can get done in a month or longer. You da man! Yeah, Well, That's, just like MY opinion. Any seconds??

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Simp,

You do more in a day than most of us can get done in a month or longer. You da man! Yeah, Well, That's, just like MY opinion. Any seconds??
Today I did the air filter housing mod on my main 923. On my 923a2 i pulled the seat battery box out. Relocated the batteries to the step box, Replaced the coolant temp sensor on the 8.3 which is a stupid design by the way. Removed all the heater cables and removed the dashboard so i could ground all the gauges in the dash properly. installed some new light sockets and a digital voltage gauge and Put dielectric grease on everything. I installed the big giant heater/ac box like I have in mine into it and bolted it all down. Dropped the passengers seat and toolbox in the truck from a 915 series truck. Tomorrow I will try to get the seat bolted down and secure and the heater hoses ran.

Not too much to it. Yes I make some things look very very easy. I started all of that work at around 1130 this morning and wrapped everything up around 330 in the afternoon. It is all about keeping pace and knowing what every step is along the way. Rather than spending half your time looking for the right tools.

tomorrow i am also gonna try to replace the floor in the 932A0 as it is pretty rusted out. Along with put it's dash board back together after i replaced all the air lines a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added some coolant to my truck today, but I don't think I could ever come close to what simp5782 does!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks