• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the way back, when hitting speeds over 50mph, I kept hearing a random, metallic rattle or slapping sound. The location was definitely the engine compartment and it seemed far forward and down low.
My expanded metal stone guard in front of the radiator can get loose at times...

Ajax MD

Oh, while we're on the topic of "loose stuff" I found this cable not attached to anything while inspecting for noise makers.
The tag is smashed and unreadable. The cable seems bolted to the engine, just beneath the lower radiator hose. (Passenger side)

It would reach the generator but the generator is charging properly. Any idea what it's for? Is it a ground between engine and body?

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys with the 809 series every 809 I have owned needed the poppet valve bolts tighten up. You can do it by removing the battery cover step and with a very long 1/4 extension a swivel and a 7/16 socket you can reach all the bolts. Two hold each block to the transmission and two hold it together, Just make sure you tighten all eight.

Last edited:

Ajax MD

You guys with the 809 series every 809 I have owned needed the poppet valve bolts tighten up. You can do it by removing the battery cover step and with a very long 1/4 extension a swivel and a 7/16 socket you can reach all the bolts. Two hold it to the transmission and two hold it together, Just make sure you tighten all eight.
Actually, I just checked the poppet and air line connections recently when I replaced the transfer case. But I'll check it again, especially since you posted such a convenient way to get at it. :)

Ajax MD

Ok, I took the truck out again and I can replicate the noise.
It's definitely not the bumper shackles banging. It actually sounds like more of a high pitched "chuff."
Question: If your exhaust system is crappy, can a diesel back-fart through the exhaust the same way gasoline engines can?

These sounds are definitely not the air compressor. I know what that cycle sounds like. The sound is definitely "in front" of me and down around knee level or lower.

I recorded some footage.
The video is jumpy garbage, ignore it. Just skip to these time indexes, close your eyes and listen for the "stand out" sound:

02:45-02:51 (one "pop" at 02:50)
03:05-03:09 (a few pops)
04:54
05:17 (single, pretty audible pop or bang or slap)
6:50-6:55 (several)

My phone's microphone doesn't seem very sensitive to high pitched metallic sounds. I can hear the noise on the footage but it sounds very minor in the footage compared to the engine and the gear whine.

I'm starting to agree that I'm sweating over nothing but I thought you guys should have a listen.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Ajax, does your noise sound kinda like a metallic chirp? If it does, check and make sure your starter isn't sporadically engaging. Mine was/is doing that due to a faulty ignition switch, and PCB box. I'm still tracking down electrical gremlins, and everyone I have found has been some old, rust crusty, bad wire connector so far.

Ajax MD

Hey Ajax, does your noise sound kinda like a metallic chirp? If it does, check and make sure your starter isn't sporadically engaging. Mine was/is doing that due to a faulty ignition switch, and PCB box. I'm still tracking down electrical gremlins, and everyone I have found has been some old, rust crusty, bad wire connector so far.
Good question, but no. It's also more towards the passenger side. Starter is on drivers side.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When my truck does it, The sound comes from the entire bellhousing/back of the engine. It was hard for me to find what was making the noise. If it is coming from the passengers side, have you greased all the zerk fittings on that side, and did you check your exhaust. If the exhaust stack or muffler is rubbing, it should have some shiny metal on it somewhere.

77 AMG

I Forget that Kentucky is a state that doesn't require mud flaps. Looks awkward.
Yeah, about that... I finally found some mudflaps *long* enough to hopefully get the DOT to *keep* looking the other way, especially since this truck goes out of state periodically. Watch for the how to/ why next week... That, and I don't feel like being the one paying to have someones' windshield replaced due to my negligence!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah, about that... I finally found some mudflaps *long* enough to hopefully get the DOT to *keep* looking the other way, especially since this truck goes out of state periodically. Watch for the how to/ why next week... That, and I don't feel like being the one paying to have someones' windshield replaced due to my negligence!
36in flaps should be fine. As long as its within 10in of the ground

77 AMG

Yep. 36x24 flaps from Rural King. (I *really* wish that I could find a set of stock quarter guards to relocate on the underside of the bed, and then run a shorter flap)

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These sounds are definitely not the air compressor. I know what that cycle sounds like. The sound is definitely "in front" of me and down around knee level or lower.
Still not sure, but my drivers seat and empty fire extinguisher bracket on the tranny tunnel make that kind of noise.

The truck in this video has several slaps and clunks that sound like the noises inside my cab.

Are the tranny tunnel bolts all tight? Does the noise only happen when hitting a bump?

Ajax MD

@Brutacus @US6x4 Everything's greased and tight. The noise is random, not tied to bumps in the road. My exhaust system is crap though.

The muffler is intact but the output flange is rusted off. I've got the J-pipe lashed in place up against the muffler. The J-pipe catches 90% of the exhaust and it doesn't really move around much. (Yes, it's a ghetto fix.) A new muffler is my next project now that I'm caught up on more critical maintenance.

My noise does sound like some of the bangs and slaps in US6x4's video. It doesn't sound particularly "destructive."

I think I'm just going to quit worrying about it unless it gets louder or more frequent or somehow correlates with other symptoms.

WildernessJeep

Still not sure, but my drivers seat and empty fire extinguisher bracket on the tranny tunnel make that kind of noise.

The truck in this video has several slaps and clunks that sound like the noises inside my cab.

Are the tranny tunnel bolts all tight? Does the noise only happen when hitting a bump?

How'd you do dem keys, tho?

Capture.JPG

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stretched the legs on my truck this weekend for the first time (besides around town cruises) on a one day road trip.

I live more on the west side on Long Island, so the goal was to go East to the end of Long Island all the way out to Montauk Point.

The truck ran great, in total drove 247 miles averaged approximately 6.9 miles per gallon of fuel.

Only issue that was really annoying was the exhaust manifold leak, it seams part of one of the gaskets blew out, will start the project of replacing gaskets very soon, if anyone has any previous experience advice, thank you

Leaving the North Fork of Long Island (Greenport) by ferry
14081C49-EBA2-4E19-BCF2-6C709A308D60.jpeg
Montauk Point Lighthouse
D88DAE73-E794-4C6B-A9E6-8E5F5A69ED9C.jpegACFF4C0F-AE13-4728-B93D-3359B2B8F939.jpeg
972CCC55-5626-4404-846F-8A0E05E30C7E.jpeg77C73E5B-ADFE-4ECD-BD13-58CDA23F768A.jpeg3B8B956D-3413-4C8F-8A2D-BD1FF403325D.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks