• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah, that’s a lunched alternator. For daytime use, the truck will crank and run for a long time on 4 batteries with an inop charging system.
Thanks. Seems like I may be a candidate for a brushless unit too. Gotta figure out where those come from. Mine doesn't look as corroded around the middle as the one that m715mike has in the picture above on page 453. It obviously hasn't been touched by a wrench in long time though... My truck came in as a 2 battery system - with extra cables laying in the battery box. Had been planning to get 4 new - but there were a LOT of other things it needed first (until it wouldn't crank).

Thinking about it a little more: I did play with the lights since it was dark. Truck was running at the time, but the last ten minutes or so, I was checking tail, brake, running, front lollipop, and headlights... Ten minutes drain time even with LED headlights could have drained it of the charging system was marginal.

Have to say that big truck is no fun if it doesn't go "udden uddn"! :)

74M35A2

I actually advise to go with a traditional brush type clone. They are affordable and work great. If you have an a2 (8.3), I sell a complete proper kit with both brackets, alt, pulley, and all fasteners for $40 above the total cost of parts. PM me, or you can research some threads here and go it your own successfully as well.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I agree, go with the aftermarket unit. I scouted around for about 2 week looking for a good used or NOS unit and people are wanting $600 for one. Ugh..
Thanks fuzzytoaster !

I am going to check in with 74M35A2 and see what he has available based on his post above..

I figure when I get this one off, there is a guy here in the neighborhood who rebuilds starters and alternators and generators. Problem is that he is "semi-retired" and if it is hot - he ain't workin! I don't want to wait that long, but having a repaired spare on the shelf would be neat. He is good at tracking down old stuff. He rebuilt the 6v generator on my dad's Model A. It took him six months, but he eventually got it done...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks like two different customers junk has went to lunch at the same time, and need to upgrade. Think M715mike has 8.3, Mullaney looks to have something else. Assuming 855?
I hate to admit that I don't know. Everything else on this truck has needed a little attention but the engine has been solid. Easy cranking with a couple of revolutions every time but the first... I figure somewhere on the truck or engine there has to be a data plate. Guess I will go look around.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I hate to admit that I don't know. Everything else on this truck has needed a little attention but the engine has been solid. Easy cranking with a couple of revolutions every time but the first... I figure somewhere on the truck or engine there has to be a data plate. Guess I will go look around.
Its an nhc250 which is in the nh855 family

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Best to get rid of it and go to a brushless unit
@74M35A2 has the engine bracket and pulley for a direct swap to a 33si series
Is there a place that explains the benefits of brushless vs regular brush type alternators and generators? Other than the obvious that there are no brushes riding on a copper coil? Does one have a higher output than another - or is it just flat out reliability?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is there a place that explains the benefits of brushless vs regular brush type alternators and generators? Other than the obvious that there are no brushes riding on a copper coil? Does one have a higher output than another - or is it just flat out reliability?
Better reliability.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks