• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to take the zerk out. Just push the needle tight up against the little check ball in the end of the fitting and pump. I screw my needle directly onto my guns hose instead of the zerk adapter shown in Mullaneys photo. Also they make needles in many different lengths.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to open my door and heard a bunch of metal parts drop and my door handle didn't work.

Opened it up, and found the spring on the latching mechanism decided it didn't want to live anymore.

Ordered a new latch. Installed it... and handle wouldn't go back in.

Pulled it back out... checked mechanism.. put it back in...

Still wouldn't work... pulled it back out....

Shaft on door handle is larger than the collar in the latch mechanism.. *sigh*... Shave down the door handle a bit.. and it goes in, kinda, still not seating properly.. and super loose... even after being rotated/seated 'properly'.... and won't push in any farther.

Gotta wait to hear back from Co. that sold me the door latch to see how they wanna play it. Definitely an aftermarket part, not NOS, so I suspect it's crappy Chinese tolerances, although they report having sold over 30 with no issues.

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drained and changed the Transmission and Transfer Case Oil with GL1 - 90W. Thanks to TechnoWeenie for solving the drain plug wrench dilemma, found that the 9/16 inch plug wrench is the best fit. No big chunks came out of either housing, nor was there a lot of metal on the plugs.
The oil on the other hand is hard to explain. When swishing in the bucket it doesn't coat the surface evenly, kind of blotchy. Used a hand pump to refill the cases. A total of 4.25 gallons of oil at 2.14 ounces per stroke...got a good workout.
Seems to have solved my power problem, did a little yard work with the rig, hauling brush and pulling stumps, like they weren't even there.

TRC1.pngTRC1.pngTRC2.pngTRC2a.jpgTRC3.jpgTRC5a.jpgTRC6.jpg

Micmada

So I put in a water remover additive after the truck sat 6 months sitting, boy that was a mistake.

Apparently it drove out algea blobs out of the tank and stuck them on my fuel filter (which I should have drained instead but went the lazy route thinking I would drain water at the fuel filter and call it good).

I got stuck on the highway and figured it had to do with the additive. I pressurized a bit the tank and gave it a few hits of starter fluid it would run for 5 min and then die again. I had to do it 3 times and after that it ran limping and sputtering, not good.

When I took the fuel filter canister down, the filter was jammed stuck to it with algea. a blob was sitting right out of fuel inlet blocking the flow.

The filter was about to burst. I was like wow, time to switch to spin ons. Spent 2 days doing it and rigged something funky but it runs like a champ now.

I did a double filter in series set up but the one ended up being above the air intake and so I am forced to use a shorter filter I use mainly for water separation. There at least, if it blocks off and bursts out, the smaller filter would do that first and then the larger filter would catch the residues.

I had to go around to the original inlet and outlet elbowing around with 2 separate filter heads. I rigged a block of hard plastic to set the second filter on the original bracket and then drove a bolt from the original bracket to act as a ledge for the first filter.

Well, it is not a professional brackets job, yikes, but it will hold only a smaller filter and it is pretty solid - at least until I get better brackets.

Attachments

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So after removing all the CTIS junk I discovered that I have only one leaking tire instead of three, so I replaced that one tire and now all my tires hold 55 psi .

Painted my rims with Rustoleum flat black which is a little bit shinier than I thought it would be and I think they look great .

I reinstalled my spare tire and all the things that hold it including the little crane, which have been removed for quite some time for conversion to a water truck, which it clearly no longer is .

I know for a fact I saved every bolt nut and washer off this truck when I tore it down, but I'll be damned if I could find them .

I think it's looking pretty good if I do say so myself, tomorrow it's going to get a new primary fuel filter, and I'm installing a receiver on the back so the truck will be moar versatile, having a hitch, 5th wheel and a pintle, it will haul everything I own ..... I think .

Btw, anyone ever notice these little insignias on their old Michelin tires ? (See Last two pics)

t20231106_170658.jpg20231106_170803.jpg20231106_170817.jpg20231106_170834.jpg20231102_133818.jpg20231107_134409.jpg

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I got that big giant primary fuel filter changed yesterday and it turned into an all afternoon job .

The goo that was in it was like nothing I have ever seen before in a fuel system, I could not get it out with solvent, I tried scraping it out, I eventually used a weed burner and burned the housing out as clean as I could get it and then scraped it more and hose blasted it .

I believe that filter had been on there since the military had the truck (my bad) and I just don't know what was in that fuel, but it was the nastiest stuff I've ever seen, and I've been around a minute .

I shall be continuing to add large doses of ATF to my fuel and changing the filters more often from this juncture, I do not want to have to go into that injection pump again, as it was stuck severely after sitting all last winter .

Pictured is a glob of stuff I scraped and wadded up into a ball and set on the filter, now today it's self leveling .

Yuk .

20231109_161731.jpg20231109_161422.jpg20231109_161434.jpg

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s nasty. I’m getting ready to do all my fluid changes to the 818 after I get my exhaust put back on muffler and lower pip were shot tip was good lol. I peaked in my tanks not sure what’s in it but it’s getting drained and new fuel being added and fixing a smashed fuel line. Along with PS fluid it looks empty. Well my muffler is out perfect time to add block heater.

Attachments

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happy Veterans Day to all the Veterans on here
I’m sorry day late. Well I started out today removing my rear electrical harness from my parts truck, and everything was going good until I got to the trailer plug hole. The hole was just a smidge too small for the gold threaded cap to fit through . I tried wiggling it then I got a small punch and hammer gently tapped and I broke the threads. I don’t know how to remove the gold screw cap to replace it so. I’m looking for a new wiring harness, I put a ad in the classifieds. So I continued on to removing the tail section which wasn’t fun either. Needless to say it’s still attached I’ll be getting the torches out next time for the rusted nuts. Why do we like these things lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks