• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Multi fuel
sorry to hear. I have sitting here a couple "victims" of the military's 1980's multifuel swap crimes .. One is my 34000#+ wrecker that can't maintain 5th gear (direct) in hi-range unless it has gone over a cliff :LOL: .. I am glad my M51 (gasser) made it out of the system before 1981 , is a real good road-runner, can outrun everything here except a gas station .. I am not totally anti-multifuel because I do enjoy their somewhat-better fuel consumption in off-road work or on basic small roads where their power is enough to do the job

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an early 1951 M-51 gasser recently aquire and getting running it's an international Harvester and I also have a 1955 m-62 wrecker gasser international Harvester
nice !! IHC was the dominant manufacturer from '51 to end of '63 .. Gassers from Mack and Diamond-T are scarce but they are out there.. My IHC M51 is a '63, IHC wrecker is a '53, and in my last BN served, there was about eight IHC gasser M52's and M54's with tags ranging from 1954 to 1963 (mixed in with mack and cummins diesels, as well as multifuels..) Things could get very interesting and entertaining when new unfamiliar drivers came on board

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shredded a front tire on my M54A1 in slow driving around the property.

It split, giving a hiss hiss hiss. By the time I got it where I wanted it, the entire carcass was in pieces.

Luckily I have a fresh Goodyear AT-2 14.00-20 to replace it with.

Still, a royal pain in the ass.

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a remote brake reservoir kit purchased from Big Mike's Motorpool.
When I was first MV shopping I checked out a bobbed Deuce in NY that had one of these. That variant used copper tube to the brake cylinder, Mike's uses rubber hose. I'll likely go the copper route eventually but for now want to see how this holds up. Mounted it to the left of the drivers seat. Can't help but see it when I climb aboard yet out of my way when driving. Passed the tube through an existing hole in the floor, widened to fit the rubber grommet that came with the kit. Kit also comes with a brass angle fitting that replaces the pressure relief valve. Both the fitting and the valve are/were only held on by a few threads. Used blue rtv to seal everything. When I initially opened the master cylinder it was almost empty, just enough fluid to get a drop to see if it was missable with water, it was indicating not silicone based. Refilled with DOT 3, so far no problems. Believe the leak was from a drain port below the cylinder. Sealed it with rtv and levels have not changed in 2 months of operation.

AMC1.jpgAMC2.jpgAMC3.jpgAMC4.jpg

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Very nice. Ironically I just got usps notice that my remote kit arrives today from Mike as well. I had though we needed to use dot 5 for the 5 ton system?

What did you use to attach the reservoir to the cab?

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had thought we needed to use dot 5 for the 5 ton system?
What did you use to attach the reservoir to the cab?
Someone must have changed the fluid as the stuff in the cylinder was miscible with water.
The kit comes with a bracket. There's a flat cross brace at that position in the cab, just three bolts, also supplied with the kit. Had to mount it on the outside of the brace as my shoulder belt runs up the inside.

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys, I know this isn’t the place to list things, So I’m letting you know I’m putting an ad up in classifieds for 5 ton parts. Still working on the old girl. Trying to clean rust from the one tank, installing engine block heater, fluid and filter change, one brake line needs fixed, couple fuel vent lines. Whole rear section and rear lights, complete exhaust. And swapping winch over from one truck to the other. And I guess I have to help sand Christmas Decorations for the yard. Some how I have to go to work too. Fun fun hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I’ll keep posted on progress.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope they were paying rent! Something was open to the elements at one point. I had sediment draining from that valve for quite a while. I would stuck twigs and things not too sharp up there to dislodge the rust flakes and eventually it wore down to just a thicker black coolant that would drain out first for the initial 10-15 seconds of opening the valve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks