• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was under the passenger seat I have no use for it if someone wants it message me. I would put it in classified but I don’t know what it is lol
It's a powered base for a vehicle radio setup. Under the seat there would sometimes be a RT-524 installed on top of that piece.

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the exhaust pipe. Bought a new one from Eastern Surplus and Equipment. The old one had rotted out at the elbow. Tried to repair using JB Weld Exhaust Weld Wrap. It lasted about a year before blowing out. Three of the 3/4 inch bolts were accessible using an impact wrench, the fourth with a ratchet wrench. Used Lubezilla to break everything free, stuff works great. Had to replace the bolts and lock washers as the old ones were heavily corroded or missing. Assumed there was a gasket on this thing, at one time, but there was nothing left of it, bought a new one at Eastern Surplus. Guess that explains why I had so much exhaust in the cab on start up. Muffler port was heavily pitted, ground as best I could then schmutzed with RTV Red. The body alignment of the new one is a little off from the old one but is a solid fit.

1 ExhaustLubezilla.jpg1a NewImpact.png2 NewPort.png3 NewGasket.png4 NewBolts.jpg5 NEWBody Alignment.png6 20231214_105520.jpg

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
was surprisingly warm in the sun today, a perfect day for last-minute winter prep of the M62 .. Has it's ski mask on, fuel topped off, tire chains in a pile on pass side floor, winter mittens, jacket, and hat on the stack ;) .. PS: for those who noticed, yes those are M809-series fender supports under there to hold the old shaky fender better 20231215_145810.jpg

Last edited:

Ajax MD

Somewhere, way back in this thread a few people reported brake line failures on M809 trucks near the transfer case.

Since it was more than one person reporting on the same place/same failure, I crawled underneath with a flashlight and just manually traced everything. No defects that I could find. I also built up air pressure and stomped the brakes as hard as I could and held the pressure several times. Everything held. The rear and intermediate rubber lines are dry and should be replaced. I have the spares on hand. I need to fab up a pressure bleeder.

Joe Bertram

was surprisingly warm in the sun today, a perfect day for last-minute winter prep of the M62 .. Has it's ski mask on, fuel topped off, tire chains in a pile on pass side floor, winter mittens, jacket, and hat on the stack ;) .. PS: for those who noticed, yes those are M809-series fender supports under there to hold the old shaky fender better View attachment 912785
Is that a standard cargo cover? Curious I've always wondered about using the stake pockets for bows but have never tried it

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that a standard cargo cover? Curious I've always wondered about using the stake pockets for bows but have never tried
It's a regular 2-1/2T M35 cargo truck cover and bows.. Is a very tight fit length-wise and you have to stretch it a bit and there's a bit of inward lean on the rear bow (if in the rearmost pocket) unless you have a Soldier B or C to help pull the cover really tight as you work it back, but it does the job with hardly any sag between the bows... It's all I had left laying around after I sold the M35A2's.. .. A 5-ton M54/M813 cover would be too long lengthwise and have deeper than normal sags.. Never looked in TM's to see if there ever was an actual cover for the wreckers (and I never saw a covered wrecker in the army or elsewhere until I did it myself), but I would almost bet an M51/M817 dump cover put on backwards would actually cover everything plus the tail end of the boom and be a real good fit

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's a regular 2-1/2T M35 cargo truck cover and bows.. Is a very tight fit length-wise and you have to stretch it a bit and there's a bit of inward lean on the rear bow (if in the rearmost pocket) unless you have a Soldier B or C to help pull the cover really tight as you work it back, but it does the job with hardly any sag between the bows... It's all I had left laying around after I sold the M35A2's.. .. A 5-ton M54/M813 cover would be too long lengthwise and have deeper than normal sags.. Never looked to see if there ever was an actual cover for the wreckers (and I never saw a covered wrecker in the army or elsewhere until I did it myself), but I would almost bet an M51/M817 dump cover put on backwards would actually cover everything plus the tail end of the boom and be a real good fit
Yessir! There have been quite a few wreckers with covers. They have the pockets for Bows and thinking about it - having that cover on the back - helps make it less of a target in a hostile area...

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yessir! There have been quite a few wreckers with covers. They have the pockets for Bows and thinking about it - having that cover on the back - helps make it less of a target in a hostile area...
Yep the pockets are there for it as well as on a M49C/M50C , to disguise them as lesser targets to air and ground OPFOR ....
In all my 30-some years combined service as a 64C10/20, next the subsequent 88M20/30, and then the years spent with the State Guard filling in for the State's deployed troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, most of my service time was with the heavy transport section of a MBT (M48-M60-M1) Battalion slated for activation in W.Germany.. Our Brigade was at full readiness status to be attached to 7th Army and sent should the SHTF in Europe.. Our two tank BN's already had some tanks and equip stored there, and our crews participated in the 1970's-80's REFORGER's... Years later when the Brigade did activate, it was attached to 3rd Army and missed the Gelnhausen area by a very long shot to the southeast.. Apparently Brigade S2 had it wrong all along ;) :ROFLMAO:

Not to say they don't exist somewhere, it's just that during my decades of Fun, Travel, and Adventure, I never saw any wrecker with a cover, nor any deuce tanker or 5-ton T&P (tanks & pump) or tanker HEMMITT with a cover.. Heck, we sure coulda used covers on the S&P trailers (M127A1C) while hauling willy pete on the hottest of sunny days , but never saw any covers for those either .. I guess higher-higher figured it was a waste of time to cover anything if we were likely to blow ourselves up or burst into flame first .. We drove pretty crazy hauling so many tons of 105's and other explosives and 1000's of gallons of flammables with foot on the floor on narrow tank trails.. We had to be crazy. :ROFLMAO: I think back at it all and shudder, but that's how it was, push push push ..

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yep the pockets are there for it as well as on a M49C/M50C , to disguise them as lesser targets to air and ground OPFOR ....
In all my 30-some years combined service as a 64C10/20, next the subsequent 88M20/30, and then the years spent with the State Guard filling in for the State's deployed troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, most of my service time was with the heavy transport section of a MBT (M48-M60-M1) Battalion slated for activation in W.Germany.. Our Brigade was at full readiness status to be attached to 7th Army and sent should the SHTF in Europe.. Our two tank BN's already had some tanks and equip stored there, and our crews participated in the 1970's-80's REFORGER's... Years later when the Brigade did activate, it was attached to 3rd Army and missed the Gelnhausen area by a very long shot to the southeast.. Apparently Brigade S2 had it wrong all along ;) :ROFLMAO:

Not to say they don't exist somewhere, it's just that during my decades of Fun, Travel, and Adventure, I never saw any wrecker with a cover, nor any deuce tanker or 5-ton TMP (tank & pump) or tanker HEMMITT with a cover.. Heck, we sure coulda used covers on the S&P trailers (M127A1C) while hauling willy pete on the hottest of sunny days , but never saw any covers for those either .. I guess higher-higher figured it was a waste of time to cover anything if we were likely to blow ourselves up or burst into flame first .. We drove pretty crazy hauling so many tons of 105's and other explosives and 1000's of gallons of flammables with foot on the floor on narrow tank trails.. We had to be crazy. :ROFLMAO: I think back at it all and shudder, but that's how it was, push push push ..
Sounds like a regular suicide jockey to me. :sneaky: I've not done any driving in a wrecker other than as a civilian. Sounds like a heck of an adventure though. My time was spent on a large gray cruise ship.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my time was spent on a large gray cruise ship.
i worked with a fella who had been on that cruise line from 1971-73 .. One day during lunch i asked about his port-to-port adventures , expecting elaborate embellished stories about the women of singapore, danang, saigon, greece, san fran etc .. He looked disappointed and said they hardly went ashore and only for brief times, that all he did was change light bulbs while they went in circles in the northern atlantic :D

Last edited:

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worked on taking more parts off the donor truck today. Trying to remove parts and pieces that someone or myself might need before I load it up for the local scrap yard. Merry Christmas to everyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks