• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

NovacaineFix

Let's start off by saying that I am still in the process of doing my little upgrade project, but I'm on the very last step. The last step of course takes the longest amount of time, but should have been the easiest part to complete.

What am I talking about? Wheel bearings, axle hub bearings, cv joints ( I call them axle u-joints), and new front u-joints for the front driveshaft.
Before anyone asks, I wanted to take pics, but my hands were so greasy, it just wasn't feasible to do so.

I started last weekend on the passenger side hub, took 5 hours to do because nothing had been replaced since it left the factory, so of course everything wanted to stay in place. Inner wheel bearing race was spun, but no damage to the hub surface, surprisingly the axle bearing was in good shape, but I replaced it anyway. Had to cut it out with a burr set, that was fun .

The cv joint did not want to budge, though it seemed fine, had to use the torch of persuasion, that and a BFH.

Today I started on the driver's side and the front shaft. The drivers side was not bad, done in 3 hours, but the front shaft u-joints were as easy as catching a rainbow unicorn in a 4 leaf clover field.

The easiest part, the very front u-joint, wound up giving me the hardest time, new cup did not want to go in straight and kept knocking the needle bearing out of place. I called it quits for the night, before I break something or the neighbors call the police for the profanity cloud. May have to get another joint and start over, I need a new flex boot anyway, so who knows. The cool part was burning out the old u-joints with the nylon injected retainers, sounded like a gunshot when they pop, nice.

Nevermind me trying narrate the video as the torch was closer than I was, so you pretty much just hear that.

https://youtu.be/TgqwR3UO4-0

GunnyM1009

Have been driving Gunny alot trying to see what all he really needs as far reliability and durability is concerned. Here is the list so far. Shocks all the way around, front leaf springs, steering stabilizer, diff servicing rear and front, transfer case service, trans service, new glow plugs, front suspension and steering components and or bushings, body work primer and paint. Most of which isn't to expensive as long as you look at it as several individual things over a period of time. The springs are going to be the single most expensive part of all that. Oh yeah still have not gotten the brush guard I do hope to get it before paint and body starts though.

howardc

I *think* i fixed Gen 2. I replaced a couple of fusible links, both voltmeter and gen2 relays, and now the voltmeter reads right at the top of the green. Also added a radio, and found out the previous owner only had the antenna installed for looks.

rsh4364

Gotcha I love the 3.08 gears I really dont do any heavy work with Gunny though so they are fine for me. If I had 4.56 I think I would have to do the 700r swap so I could keep my highway speed at lower rpm's.
I agree, my first 1009 has the 308 s, and I got great mpg, this one has been one surprise after another. My plans are to go to 410 gears in a 14bolt and d 60 in front with a 700r4. With the od trans and 410 gears it will put me in the 308 range again.

Last edited:

PeeWeeQ

When my rear axle broke, I swapped to 3/4 ton 3:73s from a '90 Suburban... It's perfect--right in between 3:08 and 4:56...

Did the swap in my driveway, in the WI cold with no special tools and NO help whatsoever (except the expertise from this forum)...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When my rear axle broke, I swapped to 3/4 ton 3:73s from a '90 Suburban... It's perfect--right in between 3:08 and 4:56...

Did the swap in my driveway, in the WI cold with no special tools and NO help whatsoever (except the expertise from this forum)...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I remember your swap and the few little gremlins that popped up. You did a fine job.

rsh4364

I'm all about mpg, I achieved my best mpg in my first 1009 with 3.08 gears at 55 mph. 23 mpg with 33 inch tires. So I am thinking I don't drive 55 any more I drive 65.so a 3.73 with a 700r4 transmission would be great

85CUCVtom

I started to great reassembly process. I had the core support out for media blast and powder coat. Also had the drivers side fender off. I put the core support back in and still have to put my new wheels in, batteries, headlight harness and all the other crap that goes with that.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, a few whiles back I converted my SECM to dual rear wheels. I just bought 2 new Duratracs for the front. Thanks Rick, they seem to be a real fine tire. Will know more tomorrow night, making a run up to N GA to drop off some stuff.

howardc

Finally got my radio installed. Had to remove it once to reattach the voltmeter light that fell out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howardc

Thanks! I have two speaker boxes behind the front seats. I mounted some brackets behind the dash and put two 6x9 speakers there. One behind the glove box and one to the left of the steering wheel. Tight fit but I got them in. The speakers and radio were free so I just had them laying around. Eventually I'll get a nice sub and maybe a backup cam since the radio supports it. It took about 3 hours or so to make all the cuts, a little more to run wires to try to keep them hidden. That plastic melts fast! The metal wasn't so easy, ruined a saw blade making the hole big enough. I cut two lines on either end and bent the original dash pieces back. Not the best hack job, I shouldve taken time to sand the edges, but its covered by the plastic so not really noticeable.

I bought a hidden antenna with a booster and installed it behind the dash too. Wired it to the acc wire for the radio for power and it picks up stations great. I was a little skeptical about it but I got it free too thanks to Bing and Amazon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks