• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

I was out in the woods today and skidded a few logs from the edge of a mud hole where a logging company left them lay. They rolled into the mud and were off the trail onto a friends property. He said if I wanted them i had to come get them. We made it the goal today to have it done by 1PM. Goal met. Nothing broken and no one hurt. The choker chain and the Bubba rope worked well. The fields are really wet today after the 3 days of rain last week. It was only 4 logs about 10-12 long but yielded 2 complete pick up loads of firewood after it was cut and split. Dead batteries in the camera. Must have been filming the inside of my vest pocket. Have a great day. Free wood is good. Dragging wood with the M1009 is easy. I used an M1028 and my new pickup to haul the wood home.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buck it, split it, and haul it isn't really free, but sure beats buying it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Well Said, 3JumpJeep. If you calculate the time it takes to get a cord of wood versus paying somebody ~$100 to come stack it in your wood shed it is never free :)

That said. The sense of reward when you start a fire the next year after drying is priceless.

cucvrus

If it were not for the wood cutting and grunt work. I would sell my Crown of Thorns M1009. That is all I use it for. It is not a trailer queen or a show piece. I is an American built implement of war and destruction. Built to be used and abused. Driven long and hard and then parked till called to do it all over again. I still take care of it. I keep it clean and maintained. But I do not baby it and fret over a few dents and scratches. That is what it was built for. Really do you think the government bought them to keep perfect and not use hard? It has been with me for 17 years + and is still 95% the original parts. Come to think of it I still have the same chainsaw for 30 years and just last year I traded an AK47 for a new Stihl chainsaw. The AK tended to splinter the logs to much. But I just have so much more use for the saw then I ever did for the AK. Happy Holidays. I have enough firewood cut for 3 + years. Now all I need is cold enough weather to light the fire. It's coming I am sure of that.

3jumpjeep

I have actually cut a tree down with an AK. A good cord of firewood in CT used to be near $200. I would cut or scavenge would all year. Split some by hand every day and stack it up. An hour here and there adds up to weeks of labor. We used to say wood warns twice. Once when you cut and split it. And a second time when you burn it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Just in time for the first real snow of the season we installed a engine heater, fixed a bunch of the dash lights, and put the plow on the m1028. Also oil changed it and changed the turn signal/4 way flasher relays for heavy duty ones. Also, 8 new 60g glowplugs in the blazer to replace the wellmans, half of which were no good.
IMG_3360.jpgIMG_3363.jpgIMG_3362.jpg

cucvrus

This is a pile I cut and split. It is a complete 28 ton tri-axle load of hardwood. 006.jpg006.jpg006.jpg006.jpgThe picture would not post and now it posted 4 times. Now I can not load any pictures. But I had some good ones with CUCV's in them.

richingalveston

you need to set up your pics better. I would have hid the log splitter and put an axe out in front on display.

it is an impressive pile of wood,
and would be an incredible pile of wood if split with an axe.

It is going to freezing this week in Houston area so you better lock that wood pile up, people down here go crazy when it gets cold.

you can sell fire wood down here at 4 sticks for $1 at the right time of year.

Rich

gottaluvit

Well Said, 3JumpJeep. If you calculate the time it takes to get a cord of wood versus paying somebody ~$100 to come stack it in your wood shed it is never free :)

That said. The sense of reward when you start a fire the next year after drying is priceless.
Sorry for blending a 5 ton's use with the CUCV, but on the subject of "free firewood" here's what the sawmill gave me yesterday.

20161205_153507.jpg

Employees had been mixing stuff in the "block pile" so they wanted to clean it up and told me I can have it all. Looks like three more double loads left. Well worth sifting through some sawdust and long pieces for free wood blocks to burn. They even load it. Only labor is unloading the trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks