• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

kimco

Hit 93K on the way home and right on cure, heard a squealing noise and once I got home the smell of burning rubber from the hood. Googling is pointing me to possible alternator? The real bummer is was going to take it out to the desert for the first time this weekend. Luckily I have been using it for commuting the last two weeks to hopefully expose any issues before the 100 mile drive out to the middle of nowhere. Hopefully the wife will let me take the Tahoe now.. lol

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hit 93K on the way home and right on cure, heard a squealing noise and once I got home the smell of burning rubber from the hood. Googling is pointing me to possible alternator? The real bummer is was going to take it out to the desert for the first time this weekend. Luckily I have been using it for commuting the last two weeks to hopefully expose any issues before the 100 mile drive out to the middle of nowhere. Hopefully the wife will let me take the Tahoe now.. lol
Glad it happened close to home and didn't leave ya stranded.

Drock

Nice! That is what I need to do to mine since three years ago when I did the shackle flip. I just cut mine off and now there is 10,000 miles of diesel soot on the back half of the undercarriage behind the rear axle.
Yeah this was a 2-1/2" shackle flip, which turns out to be more like 3-1/2". I articulated the rear suspension to it's full extent and took some measurements, This clears buy 1". The only thing that doesn't work is the spare tire won't fit under the truck anymore. But this is a much better spot and I think it looks cool:).

CUCVLOVER

Not a problem, CUCVLOVER. Just change the label on the dash so instead of "Wipers":

- It says "Rain" :jumpin:
Hahaha.
Sounds good to me.
The new dampener did help the death wobble issue. I think new tires will take care of the last bit. My tires are getting kinda worn out and I think may be coming apart on the inside. Oh well. Another day and another dollar to put into the truck. I'm going mudding with some friends Tomorrow. Truck will stay on the blacktop probably but the fourwheeler will get a hard working.

Chaski

I put a new steering dampener on and filled up the washer fluid on the green machine. Now to figure out why the sprayer pumps all the time when I turn on the whipers

High likelyhood that the cam and solenoid are gummed up on your wiper motor. Try unplugging everything, take the plastic dust shield off the wiper motor and cleaning it out a bit, then give it good spray down with dry silicone spray. Mine was doing the same thing about 6 months ago.

CUCVLOVER

High likelyhood that the cam and solenoid are gummed up on your wiper motor. Try unplugging everything, take the plastic dust shield off the wiper motor and cleaning it out a bit, then give it good spray down with dry silicone spray. Mine was doing the same thing about 6 months ago.
It's one of them reman one from autozone is only a few months old. They probably didn't check that at the reman place haha.
Thanks for the tip buddy

cucvrus

They probably didn't drive it thru a swamp and then pressure wash the engine and then drive it under water. Mine still works and I have done all of that and then some. I have had a few that like to wash until they are out of fluid. Clean freaks they are. That old set up is not as good as the newer ones. 1984 was the last year for that old set up. Then they got wise and put the pump on the reservoir. I never converted mine but I have a 2.5 gallon DEF tank under the hood of mine for a washer reservoir.036.jpgI put it there 7 years ago. My Son was stationed at Fort Drum and the trip home took a stock bottle each way. Besides. I take my truck to the dealer for service. It cost me $62. and they fill the washer for free. Do the math. Can I crawl under the truck do all the work and buy the material. Not much savings. Besides. I get to go out in the shop and have a look see up under each time. I still have it state inspected at the dealer.

86m1028

Hahaha.
Sounds good to me.
The new dampener did help the death wobble issue. I think new tires will take care of the last bit. My tires are getting kinda worn out and I think may be coming apart on the inside. Oh well. Another day and another dollar to put into the truck.
Steering dampeners do NOT fix death wabble only mask it.

CUCVLOVER

Steering dampeners do NOT fix death wabble only mask it.
I understand that. I have done the kingpin springs and bushings and I can't find anything in the steering components that is worn out or sloppy. Frame is not busted the little leather thing on the steering shaft isn't gone. I'm figuring it is my tires.
I ran a identical set on my Dodge Durango till they was beyond slick and they did all sorts of weird stuff on the road. The passenger side tire is especially worn and has some large cracks in the body if the tire and between the lugs. Probably from driving across so many rock piles and corn fields.
I will be getting new tires very soon and we shall see how it acts. If it still doesn't fix it completely then I will just keep throwing money it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks