• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I have new wheels + tires showing up for the 1009. 17in wheels with 32in AT tires so I can use it more as a daily driver as I currently have the 16.5 in wheels with the 37in Wrangler 2s on there...
Question is this, should I drop the suspention back down? Or leave it at 6in so I can more easily swap on the 37s when we go camoing 2 or 3 times a year...

Not sure how silly its goin to look with a 6in lift an only 31in tires. Any thoughts?
Maybe, Maybe Not. There are folks who believe that you MUST have some sort of "incredible travel" in your axle movement if you have that much wheel clearance... The other choice is a weekend to add or remove blocks and steering (drag link) components...

Heck, ride it around for a week or two and see if it makes YOU happy. If it does, then ignore what others think.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Studded snow tires were outlawed around here (the Mid-Atlantic) something like 30-40 (more?), years ago:

- They were tearing up the roads something bad

Hope you get your problem fixed easy!
Studded tires are REQUIRED in some parts of the country... chains as well... depending on location/time of year/road conditions, etc.

Aren't plastic/rubber studs still OK in DELMARVA?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good question, and I don't know the answer.

But maybe somebody here does!

VA

Universal Citation: VA Code § 46.2-1045 (2013)
§ 46.2-1045. Sale of tires having cleats, etc., prohibited; studded tires excepted.

No person shall sell to any resident of the Commonwealth a tire which shall have on its periphery any block, stud, flange, cleat, spike, or any other protuberance of any material other than rubber which projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire. Farm machinery having protuberances which will not injure the highway and tire chains of reasonable proportions may, however, be sold. It shall also be permissible to sell studded tires whose use is permitted under the provisions of this article. Violation of this section shall constitute a Class 1 misdemeanor.

------------------------------------------------

MD _ COMAR 11.13.02.10. Studded Snow Tires

A. The purpose of this regulation is to regulate the sale and use of studded snow tires in Maryland and to establish standards for tire studs pursuant to the authority contained in Transportation Article, § 22.405.2, Annotated Code of Maryland.

B. Sale and Use of Studded Snow Tires.

(1) A person may not sell or offer for sale studded snow tires in this State except in Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett, and Washington counties.

(2) From November 1 through March 31, vehicles registered in Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett, and Washington counties may be equipped with studded snow tires and may be operated only in Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett, and Washington counties

C. Tire Stud Standards.

(1) Tire studs shall be constructed to employ a pin or core and a casing in such a manner as to regulate the protrusion of the tire stud beyond the tread surface of the tire. Tire stud pins or cores shall be constructed of a material with sufficient hardness characteristics to be effective in providing traction on hardpacked snow and ice. Tire studs shall be designed for maximum retention qualities when inserted in pre-molded holes in the tire tread surface.

(2) Tire studs shall be designed to regulate protrusion under all conditions of loading to a minimum of 1/32 inch (0.031 inch) and a maximum of 2/32 inch (0.062 inch). Tire stud diameters shall be limited to between 0.062 inch and 0.125 inch for the pin or core and between 0.187 inch and 0.250 inch for the casing.

(3) The maximum number of tire studs permitted to be installed into a tire shall be according to tire size and shall be calculated on the basis that the combined cross-sectional area of the stud assemblies may not exceed 1 1/4 percent (0.0125) of the total area of the tread surface, but the number of tire studs installed may not exceed 150 per tire.

-----------------------

DE

TITLE 21
Motor Vehicles
Operation and Equipment
CHAPTER 43. Equipment and Construction of Vehicles
Subchapter I. Equipment Requirements

§ 4302. Projections from periphery of tires; exceptions.
(a) No tire on a vehicle moved on a highway shall have on its periphery any block, stud, flange, cleat or spike or any other protuberances of any material other than rubber which projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire, except as otherwise provided in this section. Farm machinery with tires having protuberances which will not injure the highway may be used, and tire chains of reasonable proportions may be used upon any vehicle when required for safety because of snow, ice or other conditions tending to cause a vehicle to slide or skid.

(b) The use of studded tires on all motor vehicles using the highways of this State is permitted from October 15 to April 15.

Another Ahab

(1) A person may not sell or offer for sale studded snow tires in this State except in Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett, and Washington counties.
Thank you, TechnoWeenie!

So glad there is a scholar here to help clarify the off-hand comments of a knucklehead like me.

Those (5) referenced Counties in Maryland are the westernmost parts of the State .

They are essentially West Virginia and Pittsburgh PA, and that's all Appalachian mountain territory (meaning altitude and snow), so the exception makes sense.

Funny, recalling now as a kid growing up in Maryland that we had to memorize the names (and Capitals?) of ALL the Maryland Counties.

That was Third Grade I think it was (I think it was something like 20-some counties). Seems kind of silly. Anybody else (anywhere), have to do anything similar?!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, TechnoWeenie!

So glad there is a scholar here to help clarify the off-hand comments of a knucklehead like me.

Those (5) referenced Counties in Maryland are the westernmost parts of the State .

They are essentially West Virginia and Pittsburgh PA, and that's all Appalachian mountain territory (meaning altitude and snow), so the exception makes sense.

Funny, recalling now as a kid growing up in Maryland that we had to memorize the names (and Capitals?) of ALL the Maryland Counties.

That was Third Grade I think it was (I think it was something like 20-some counties). Seems kind of silly. Anybody else (anywhere), have to do anything similar?!
I used to live in Fredneck... and Smithsburg... I know all about the area.. I do miss it dearly... east coast mountains are entirely different from west coast mountains.... Kinda hard to articulate but they're different.

2INSANE

I put gorilla tape on my soft top windows to cover all the cracks. Hope to get another winter out of this topper. Got a new one already for next spring.

Also bought my old set of aluminum rims back from the junkyard today. I am ditching the beadlocks until I can afford some 40’s.

Also ordered a aluminum 700r4 deep pan, Robert Shaw Thermostat and new cold advance switch.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I used to live in Fredneck... and Smithsburg... I know all about the area.. I do miss it dearly... east coast mountains are entirely different from west coast mountains.... Kinda hard to articulate but they're different.
"Fredneck", now that's funny! Nice town. Barbara Fritchie country.

The home of Ft. Detrick, too, you know (likely). Some funny stuff goes on up there sometimes. Be sure and wash your hands!!

2INSANE

This morning I plugged in the CUCV with the intent to drive it to the shop and work on it. After doing 2 loads of dishes, all the laundry and clean house, I thought an old man nap was needed. When I woke up, the wife was back from work and demanded more work out of me. Now it’s about 8pm and I unplugged the CUCV. Maybe tomorrow… Or the next day… Or the next…

SomeNewGuy

Tires an wheels showed, new LED headlights to replace the halogen as well.

After finishing all that I go to turn it over and hear the sound of welding. Confused I check the bay and found no damage or burns... So I set up the phone to record as my second pair of eyes. Sparks coming from left side under the engine. Starter melted it's own face off.

Last person to take my girlfriend out was my wife... likely overcranked and cooked it.

Moral of the story, keep your girlfriends and wives separate.

Merry Chrismas Gents

2INSANE

Tires an wheels showed, new LED headlights to replace the halogen as well.

After finishing all that I go to turn it over and hear the sound of welding. Confused I check the bay and found no damage or burns... So I set up the phone to record as my second pair of eyes. Sparks coming from left side under the engine. Starter melted it's own face off.

Last person to take my girlfriend out was my wife... likely overcranked and cooked it.

Moral of the story, keep your girlfriends and wives separate.

Merry Chrismas Gents
Need a starter? I have 6! Pm me if you do!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks