• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

riggermedic

Did a little 12 volt welding yesterday, I was coming down Mount Graham in Arizona bouncing around on some dirt trails and apparently one of my battery cables came loose. I didn’t really notice any signs or symptoms, when I got on the main road I noticed my 24 V gauge was moving with the gas pedal further I would press on the gas the further to the right it would move. On the floorboard I found one of my dashboard lights and thought it could be one of the generator lights I know those will affect at 24 V circuit if the light burns out. Reached up underneath and both of those were still present . Looked under the hood and found a missing battery cable apparently burned through the fender well
13B7D593-98B1-4487-8DD0-1722C03A0DA5.png0C89F49C-B029-4E83-994C-BED6081CA5EC.png4B60A93F-3EF2-4EEB-9BDC-7F2AB712B49C.pngECC79D9F-38E8-44E2-BC7B-A0A57553B983.pngF1FBE007-94D8-4152-9E28-B68E2AD4AFCF.png

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a little 12 volt welding yesterday, I was coming down Mount Graham in Arizona bouncing around on some dirt trails and apparently one of my battery cables came loose. I didn’t really notice any signs or symptoms, when I got on the main road I noticed my 24 V gauge was moving with the gas pedal further I would press on the gas the further to the right it would move. On the floorboard I found one of my dashboard lights and thought it could be one of the generator lights I know those will affect at 24 V circuit if the light burns out. Reached up underneath and both of those were still present . Looked under the hood and found a missing battery cable apparently burned through the fender well
View attachment 859167View attachment 859168View attachment 859169View attachment 859170View attachment 859171

I guess that qualifies as an oh S--- moment?

chevymike

View attachment 859167View attachment 859168View attachment 859169View attachment 859170View attachment 859171
WOW!!! Never seen something like that happen before. Guess it's good these old trucks don't have all of the plastic and sound deadening stuff, so nothing to catch fire.

Keith_J

Ordered parts for cylinder head gasket replacement. Only 36k miles on the 1031. Head gaskets are a time issue, not miles. Yes, even ordered the nylon rocker retainers. Sourced remanufactured heads if needed. These are furnace welded with hardened insert seats so they won't ever crack again.

Going to be a slow job as I was injured last year and am still healing.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ordered parts for cylinder head gasket replacement. Only 36k miles on the 1031. Head gaskets are a time issue, not miles. Yes, even ordered the nylon rocker retainers. Sourced remanufactured heads if needed. These are furnace welded with hardened insert seats so they won't ever crack again.

Going to be a slow job as I was injured last year and am still healing.
If you are able to, will you list the parts and where you sourced them? Thanks, take care.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WalMart had the GoodYear Wrangler Authority tires for $135 each a few months back. Since I was running the studded snow tires anyway, I back-burnered the summer tires for the time being. That was a mistake, as the price has since jumped to $150 per. Ouch.

The snow wheels are later model Chevy truck wheels, so I needed to run some 1½" spacers to put them in the right place. The summer wheels don't need the spacers, but I left them on for now. WalMart did a pretty good job on the balancing- 70 MPH and no vibration.

NewShoes.jpg

Keith_J

If you are able to, will you list the parts and where you sourced them? Thanks, take care.
Gaskets were purchased from Summit online, these are drop shipped from the distributor and not yet here. Got the Nylon rocker arm retainers today from them.

I got the DB2829 overhaul kit from Amazon, it is Fulfillment by Amazon and sold by Badger Diesel.

SomeNewGuy

So on Friday, I drove from about the center of Virginia to Boston. Saturday back home to VA, then today to Agusta GA. Total distance traveled is a bit over 2052 (pulling over for fuel adding a bit but negligable). In another thread I had erroneously reported 28mpg. Looking back on the day I did the math on that, I think that drive was all downhill with the wind at my back, along with an idiot behind the wheel that cant math.

The drive to Boston I filled up twice. One averaged 19.67 mpg, the other 21.32 mpg.
The drive to Agusta I filled up twice. One averaged 20.32 mpg, the other 21.22 mpg.

I kept a steady 70mph, had no issues, and it was awesome. Love this truck.

Edit: Thanks to all of you for the knowledge in this forum. Without it, this truck would still be sitting in a driveway rusting to hell. Instead, she is back on the road, reliable, and an absolute joy to drive.

cucvrus

Good News is I have a brand new OEM GM M1009 right 1/4 panel if you are interested. Let me know. That area that is damaged on yours is a tough area to get straight. Lots of unreachable pockets and detail work to get everything fitting correctly without filling it. Good Luck. I just wanted to put that out there.

Another Ahab

Looking back on the day I did the math on that, I think that drive was all downhill with the wind at my back, along with an idiot behind the wheel that cant math.
You are a funny guy, SomeNewGuy!

Someone told me once that there are only (3) kinds of people in the world:

- Those that can Math, and

- Those that can't

Keith_J

Ran the 1031 SECM for compressed air duty. Seasonal check on the motor pool plus did some plasma cutting for the 1031 twin VNT project. Why twins? Because these were a steal due to economy of scale. Each turbo is good for 120 HP or 20+ pounds mass of air per minute. Bear in mind, a stock engine does 26 pounds per minute at sea level and good weather. Not looking for boost over 10 PSI gauge.

Variable nozzle turbines adjust exhaust gas velocity to match needed boost pressure, reducing boost threshold at lower speed and reducing back pressure at high speed. The benefits come with a requirement for digital control, using throttle position, engine speed and manifold pressure.

Jlprober

Ran the 1031 SECM for compressed air duty. Seasonal check on the motor pool plus did some plasma cutting for the 1031 twin VNT project. Why twins? Because these were a steal due to economy of scale. Each turbo is good for 120 HP or 20+ pounds mass of air per minute. Bear in mind, a stock engine does 26 pounds per minute at sea level and good weather. Not looking for boost over 10 PSI gauge.

Variable nozzle turbines adjust exhaust gas velocity to match needed boost pressure, reducing boost threshold at lower speed and reducing back pressure at high speed. The benefits come with a requirement for digital control, using throttle position, engine speed and manifold pressure.
What motor do you have in your 1031?

Another Ahab

Does that mean you need to buy a separate component (to provide the "digital control"), a device you need to wire-in or sommething?

Keith_J

Does that mean you need to buy a separate component (to provide the "digital control"), a device you need to wire-in or sommething?
Oh yes. There was a time I was going to use an Arduino but an innovative chap in Scotland has a good kit for this application.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks