• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Another Ahab

Drock

Had 2 things POP loose with this Banks turbo. The first was about ah month ago when the 1" plug on the back of the plenum (the square box on top of the motor) blew off going down the highway 80mph. Sounded like an explosion and shrapnel as the metal plug banged up against the firewall and down under the floorboard:x. I was able to stop at ah Home depot and replace it with ah 1" pluming pipe plug. Then yesterday morning as I pulled out of my neighborhood something blew off and I had an exhaust leak from the engine compartment. It still made boost, so I was kinda lost as to what it was. I messed with it all day and couldn't find the leak. I thought it mite have even bin ah bent pushrod or broken rocker arm. So later that night I said screw it and took it out on the highway to see if it would reveal it's self, and yes it did! The eureka moment came when the exhaust temp gauge went flat. The stupid probe buried under the banks manifold came loose and finally blew all the way out......... The moral to this story is with this banks kit you'll want to use thread lock on all this stuff even though the instructions didn't call for it. I hope this helps anyone who installs one of these kits. cheers:beer:

Last edited:

Another Ahab

The moral to this story is with this banks kit you'll want to use thread lock on all this stuff even though the instructions didn't call for it. I hope this helps anyone who installs one of these kits. cheers
This is a good post. Thanks for the advice.

I started using thread lock (the blue formula) as a matter of course a couple years back on almost anything I bolt up.

The cost is almost nothing (cheaper than a split lock-washer), and I figure there's nothing to lose if you use it, but MIGHT be something to lose if you don't use it.

rsh4364

Worked on the 86 1009 today,new GP solenoid and wired push button setup.DogHead relay mod.Starter support bracket was hanging from block so got that properly attached to starter,K&N air filter.Also spotted a missing bracket on pwr.steering pump.Installed a fuse in fuse block for brake lights so now I have brake lights.Not sure how PO drove it around without them.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

This took a couple days.

I drove my cucv m1008 around the other day the fuel gauge said it had a 1 /4 tank (its been working properly). I started it 2 days ago and hit right off then went dead and wouldnt start back. I opened an enjector line and it was dry.

So put 10 gal of fresh diesel in it and I bleed the fuel system 5 times and fuel never did come out of the bleed hole. I cranked it a lot more and pulled the feed line for the injection pump and fuel sprayed out so that means I'm good. So with a water bottle of diesel down the intake it started like a brand new one.

I did find out that once it warmed up and you go for a ride and run it hard it will block the sun with white smoke.

lostinutah

Sorry for the delay, we were out of range enjoying the beautiful Zion National Park. Yes it's just a crossing at Toquerville falls. Was great until people started showing up. Nothing like having your starter relay go out with 3 kids and the wife in 95 degree heat on Sunday in the desert. Looks like it has been one of my many problems from the start. Next new starter again, fuel filter mod, and door bushings. My wife would hate it if I stopped opening and closing her door though.

RobM36A2

Last weekend:

Took the M1028 and M101a2 on a trip.

Sold the M101a2, so delivered that saturday after a 100 mile trip, then, while I was close to the German border, drove another 100 miles to friends in Germany.

Had a BBQ and sleep over, next day visited some local markets. Then I fueled up (used up half a tank of diesel) and went home, another 150 miles or so.

Had no problems at all, but I hate the fact it takes a long time getting anywhere @ 53 mph.
(Max speed for trucks here, 50mph is the limit, but cops look the other way up to 55):recovry4x4:

My M1028 is registered as a truck, due to road taxes. Very expensive to own a heavy diesel powered vehicle here..

Another Ahab

I traded my cucv for an M35A2C, which I then used to drag a HEMAT from Louisiana to Tucson....
I don't recall seeing a HEMAT side-by-side with a deuce before, like in your picture:

- That trailer has one L-O-N-G- wheelbase; didn't realize that. Wow.

HEMAT.jpg

Last edited:

lostinutah

Doghead. Lucky there was an orileys open on sunday. Got in right before close. Yeah the dunes are fun. I'd like to make it a little more sand resistant. Found new rust spots in the floor boards, thanks to the sand.

CUCVLOVER

Doghead. Lucky there was an orileys open on sunday. Got in right before close. Yeah the dunes are fun. I'd like to make it a little more sand resistant. Found new rust spots in the floor boards, thanks to the sand.
Do you have boots on your front axle?
I'm sure you know sand is the worst thing for bearings and seals.

Oh as for the topic. I drove mine and the white smoke was gone. I do think I have a issue with fuel staying primed.
Its probably just a loose hose clamp.