• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mounted 120mm cans to the wheel well.....

1016358_10202832386185922_10267000_n.jpg

Organized tools into 40mm cans..

1959876_10202832416786687_1348126569_n.jpg

Moved MDC to perm mounted 40mm can, for ruggedized touch screen..

1959816_10202832306703935_1444346101_n.jpg

.50 cal cans behind the drivers seat for medkit, jumper cables, and tow straps....

1911659_10202832295663659_940236699_n.jpg

RobM36A2

No pictures of the modding work, because I wanted to finish before dark.
The shelter is sitting on my M101a2 trailer.
Each wheel well was cut down 1 and 3/4 inch.
Wat was cut out, was moved to the side, so the wheelwell stays somewhat intact (on picture).
After the modification we unhooked the trailer and lay it down, so it was tilted towards the M1028. Then backed up to trailer. With some straps and wooden beams we managed to put the shelter into the trailer.
After that, hooked up, tied it down and went home. :D

A few pictures, more to come after more modifications:
Shelter-kar-1.jpg Shelter-kar-2.jpg Shelter-kar-3.jpg

And yes, that is my back yard and yes, it is kinda full.. Still hoping someone will buy that Chevy Van..

Last edited:

ralbelt

Installed FM 100 fuel filter. Got it from Gimpyrobb , put it all together on the bench with a thumbscrew bleed valve and hose. Used a piece of one inch square tubing between filter housing and the fire wall.
Disconnected the noise supressors from the wiper motor and plugged the harness in direct, now the wipers are much more responsive.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tied it to a Toyota that had blown apart its thermostat housing... Towed it off the highway into a parking lot..

Turns out, the guy was going to rehab... He'd been sober 2 days and a friend from church was supposed to be meeting him there, she picked him up from the parking lot instead...

He tried to hand me some $, but I told him he could pay me back by staying sober and paying it forward.. He couldn't believe so many random strangers (church lady, me) were trying to look out for him.... Hope he stays sober....

dirtdiver

I finally got my "new" 6.2 placed into my 1009. Its got more mileage that the one I replaced, but at least the block isn't cracked. Ha. I've got it all mated to the tranny and bolted to the mounts. Now comes the nightmare of rewiring. I took lots of pictures of it prior to swapping, but my main concern is the grounding wires and grounding strap and where they all go exactly. My pictures of those were lacking in quality and detail. Time to study the diagrams. It's like reading Greek, but hey, I've always wanted to learn a new language. My goal is to have it running by end of next month. I can say that a great deal of advice was given and found through this site. I appreciate it, even though you may not know it. Cheers

Keith_J

I let life get in the way of my FMV addiction :papabear:, as in I got married last year (June 13th) and let my 1031 sit up. Fortunately, a fellow member kept it running despite the batteries dying so there wasn't any concern there. A few mice made dens in the back but the shop vac took care of that. What had been put on the far back burner was the hybrid air conditioning system project. Well, I made a huge stride yesterday on that little effort.

What is this hybrid system? It is mostly automotive AC in nature, save the drive of the compressor. An under-dash evap, front-mounted condenser and mostly standard hose routing. The compressor is a small Sanden SD7B10 with the clutch pulled and replaced with a Lovejoy coupling that is direct drive off a 2.5 kW 24 volt electric motor. Instead of the clutch, the unit is switched by a 400 amp contactor (heavy duty relay). This motor-compressor package is mounted under the passenger seat to the right side of the frame rail. I had all this done in fall of 2012.

I finally got the hoses crimped and installed yesterday. It was easier than I had expected. There are 6 hoses so 12 crimps and a 4 foot aluminum tube for high pressure gas from compressor to condenser. I still have to mount the aluminum tube to the frame rail to prevent vibration damage, the hoses seem to be perfect but time will tell if strapping is needed.

I still need to finish the electrical system. I debated using a pressure switch but since this is a constant speed compressor, that isn't necessary. I need to make the final electrical connections, the compressor is protected with a 150 amp circuit breaker and is direct connected to the main 24 volt bus with #2 wire. Then argon purge the system and charge with an unknown amount of R134a.

Got the electrical finished ;) before 1700 today.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shackelford R

I replaced a terminal in the fuse block because the head light fuse kept falling out. and did some more cleaning of the fuse block bringing the grand total of hours spent on electrical cleaning and troubleshooting to 55 hours that's since I got the truck in 2013.

sochuck

What did I do to mu CUCV today???? You ask???? After allot of work, well not really allot but allot of effort, I took the pickle out for a test drive and it passed! It is actually a long story but the results are well worth the effort...

Keith_J

My air conditioning is working GREAT!!! See top of this page...

Needed three cans, lost some due to sticking charge ports. Still need to plumb the condensate drain. Not just noticeably cooler but COLD.

Since this is electric driven, it needed new alt belts. Much better now.

forest522

I finally got my "new" 6.2 placed into my 1009. Its got more mileage that the one I replaced, but at least the block isn't cracked. Ha. I've got it all mated to the tranny and bolted to the mounts. Now comes the nightmare of rewiring. I took lots of pictures of it prior to swapping, but my main concern is the grounding wires and grounding strap and where they all go exactly. My pictures of those were lacking in quality and detail. Time to study the diagrams. It's like reading Greek, but hey, I've always wanted to learn a new language. My goal is to have it running by end of next month. I can say that a great deal of advice was given and found through this site. I appreciate it, even though you may not know it. Cheers
Congrats and hang in there! Read the stickies, some of them directly address those wiring issues...I have chased out, removed and cleaned nearly every wire loom and ground in there and those threads were with out a doubt (along with the TMs!! and diagrams) were critical. Print them out! We are very fortunate to have those experts in our group to write that stuff up!!! It will be fine and you'll be glad you squared it all away!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks