• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

unaffiliated

Yippie. I got the CUCV cranked today. I have been working on the engine project after pulling it to do a bunch of repairs. I finished up installing the (new to me) used exhaust system Saturday. Sunday I mounted the starter and support bracket and a few other little things. I couldn't get the fuel system bled because the batteries were shot. I even took the batteries out of my car and tractor but still didn't have enough juice to get her going. Today I went and bought two new group 31 batteries with 950CCA. Hooked them babies up and she spun over so fast I thought the engine was gonna fly out of the truck. The fuel system bled right out. I closed the bleeder valve and she cranked right up and ran well. Now I just have to do something with those old slick tires, get insurance and a tag and on the road again. WooHoo. I sure have missed driving this beast. Soon, very soon.

Keith_J

I'm getting real good at removing and replacing starters. Well, just this one. Sourced the correct pinion drive retainer parts that were MISSING on the original starter. Found a Delco shop and they GAVE me the parts, after striking out at the usual sources.

Well, with the commutator turned and good grease, that like new starter turns the engine over FAST. Guess if the pinion drive drags, it slows things down.

unaffiliated

I acquired insurance today. This time I paid the little extra for Uninsured/Under-insured Motorist coverage so I don't get screwed like I almost did in January 2012. I ordered a set of 4 Military Battery terminals from a fleabay seller so I can tidy up the battery cables. Now, I guess I will go to the tag office and get that squared away.

unaffiliated

I went to town a bought my tag sticker. Had to pay last years taxes of $2.99 plus penalties for not registering on time. It cost me a whopping $40. I came home and went on the maiden voyage of the Beast after major repairs. Ran like a top. I may need to adjust the trans shifting but other than that, no worries.

Keith_J

Discovered where the engine oil was going, the cooler fittings at the radiator were leaking. And that was due to a twisted o-ring. Thankfully I have Viton rings on hand. It only leaked when the SECM generator was running as the governor spins the engine at higher RPM than idle, I never saw the leak when driving because of air off the cooling fan misting the oil.

ClintA

We want more details on how you did the goose-neck hitch. At least I do anyway.
I wish I had my camera when I put the hitch in, We took the bed off and put a 8 inch piece of channel iron across the frame from driver-side to passenger side and inside of that is a smaller piece of channel with the "nut" welded to it and then it welded to the 8 inch channel, then flat strap welded from the 8 inch down the side of the frame both sides and welded to the frame. Then put the cab back on, took a drill bit and drilled up to give me a hole for center, took a torch and cut out hole in bed for the bolt to go threw to nut, the washer is welded to ball and you hammer it out or in what ever the case. I will this helps, I did not bore you too much.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed the new GP card I got from Antennaclimber (left) after the stocker (right) failed.

I notice the wait light stays on a lot longer with 12v than it did when the system was 24v. It still took two tries before it fired up too.

So my question is, are the more modern Bosch glow plugs as susceptible to the cascade failure and the old Wellmans?

GPM.jpg

cpf240

...So my question is, are the more modern Bosch glow plugs as susceptible to the cascade failure and the old Wellmans?
Cascade failure has little to do with what make / model GPs are used. The real questions are the MTBF numbers for the various makes / models of GPs and if they tend to swell when exposed to a higher duty cycle or higher voltage. GPs that are self-limiting should do better in the swelling department, but any GP will eventually fail if it receives more than its designed operating voltage, such as when a cascade failure is in progress.

Keith_J

Finally a chance to test the truck out, instead of working on it!!! Step son #3 had an invite to go shooting so instead of taking the road types, I took the 1031. Plenty of room for gear plus the 205 transfer case and Dana 60 got to work. Everything was fine, just a bit of stiff maneuvering off road when locked up on gravel/dirt. Not bad, no real need to turn the gears other than to get them lubricated and turning. Now, had it been raining, different story.

richingalveston

Cascade failure comes from the resistor. If you have 12 volt, you no longer have a resistor.
Many things can cause it to take longer. The change of the glow plug card, your temp sensor may be acting up, your battery voltage may be low. You could have bad glow plugs already. You could have bad wiring between the batteries and the plugs.
It should not take two cycles to start the truck unless it is extremely cold. So you do have problems but it was not a cascade issue unless it happened before you converted.

Keith_J

Don't sweat the replacement heater core, I used one from Rock Auto with great success in the step son's 1009. Just remember to seal it well on the air side, otherwise it won't work right. Yes, the aluminum one. It is thinner but also greater fin density.

tankie88

Replaced front left hand side fender and inner fender also the right hand inner fender.While changing the right hand inner fender. I found the slave start pos cable had rubbed through to the copper and was touching the battery tray.I wondered why I was having electrical probs.If I were you all I would check yours.

RobM36A2

All I did today was:
-Check oil and other fluids ---> Levels correct
-Put about 100 miles on the M1028 ---> went to an classic army vehicles event, saw some cool vehicles
-Top off the power steering reservoir with ATF. ---> No more sqeaking noise when turning the wheel
-Check the tranny fluid. ---> Level correct.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks