• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

KansasBobcat

When you say "cycling" what exactly does it sound like/do? Just wondering if my m1010 needs the card
After starting the glow plugs will cycle or heat up again a few times. If you watch the voltmeter you will see the needle swing to the left and you may hear the relay. On my other vehicles it will do it 2or 3 times but not for a minute or longer. I believe the TM says up to 25 seconds on the cycling. The card cured it for me.

Mfriguy

After starting the glow plugs will cycle or heat up again a few times. If you watch the voltmeter you will see the needle swing to the left and you may hear the relay. On my other vehicles it will do it 2or 3 times but not for a minute or longer. I believe the TM says up to 25 seconds on the cycling. The card cured it for me.
Ok so is it supposed to cycle? Is less than a minute ok? I know my m1010 does that from time to time but only a few times less than a minute for sure. Is there a write up on installing the card that you are aware of? Thanks for your help, this is my first diesel and the wiring in the ambulance is kinda confusing.

KansasBobcat

Ok so is it supposed to cycle? Is less than a minute ok? I know my m1010 does that from time to time but only a few times less than a minute for sure. Is there a write up on installing the card that you are aware of? Thanks for your help, this is my first diesel and the wiring in the ambulance is kinda confusing.
I am not an expert and learned from SS site. The card is easy to install. The housing was zip tied to the left side of steering column. The end cap needs to be carefully pried off. Batteries should be disconnected before doing anything electrical anywhere on these trucks! I pulled the old card out with needle nose pliers. Note the orientation although the new one will only go in one way. It snaps in easily. I lubricated the catches on the cover and pushed it back on. Zip tie to column and reconnect batteries. It should function normally when you turn the key and start. Good luck

chief1983

It is called "post-glow" I believe. Both pre and post glow are condition dependent, which the controller dictates based on its sensor input. On a cold start, my 09 does possibly last near a minute, but I haven't had any starting issues so I just wait until it's done clicking to go anywhere. Otherwise the alternator load when the plugs are on makes one of my belts squeal. Only time they squeal, so I haven't worried about trying to fix that.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still working on my M1010.

Got just about everything set...still got a little to do but...

For today...

Fabbed up a steel reinforced table held into place by steel cables and Jack nuts. It folds up and out of the way..

Need to paint and hook up the retainer to keep it folded in transit.

Attachments

jterry211

1. Pulled the wire harness apart at the firewall and cleaned the **** out of it. Put it back together and everything works now lights etc.
2. Doghead upgrade.
3. Head light relays.
4. Rewire engine compartment i.e replace frayed or old wires.
5. Changed ALL fluids
6. Put in a 12 volt switched fuse box for accessories. Including radio, phone charging ports, fog lights etc.
7. changed all fuses to the ones that light when they are blown.
8. took instrument cluster out and repainted it put in led bulbs and gauges also.

Been reallllly busy getting her ready for some warm weather fun. Cant wait but still got allot to do.

Last edited:

llong66

jterry did you put your gauges in the dash in place of the idiot lights? If so could you snap a cpl pics?

Thanks'
Greg

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished going through the glow plug system with a fine comb and changed out the solenoid (did new plugs last week). BAM! Instant start every time. Belts were changed, door panels painted black, got new window seals in today. The next biggest question is paint color: green (3 color) or tan? :?

Attachments

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removed the batteries from the inner fender, I don't like them there, gonna put them somewhere else. Not sure where that somewhere else is tho.....

epitts

So since I bought my truck I have a had a small problem. When I turned on the lights or heater there would be slight glow from the GEN 1 light. So after doing some reading I ran through the test procedures to check the alternators. One plug fell a part when removed, so I spliced in a new plug from the parts store. I then cleaned the wire connections and grounds on GEN 1 and 2. Start the truck turn on the lights and heater, no glow from GEN 1 light. Also volt meter is mid way in the green now. And a bonus was found, my radio now works better. Before I would have a problem pickup a certain station out side in the drive now I could pick it up in the garage loud and clear. So if you are having problems don't forget to clean the ground and power leads on both GENs.

Last edited:

chief1983

I'll give that a shot, I have the exact same glow issue with those accessories enabled, lights on and fan on full causes a faint red glow on the Gen 1 light. I'll clean those when I get around to cleaning the turn signal connection that's keeping the front right turn signal from functioning too.

M1008BOV

Wholly salt batman! :shock:

That's why I keep mine in the garage all winter. I hate all this road salt around here too aua

iasc399ia

Yeah. Its getting a thorough bath tomorrow when we install a new back window. The 12" we got a could days ago, and higher 30s all week coming up is gonna make for a messy time.

RobM36A2

Burned the lights fuse on my way home.
Heard a hissing sound, followed by a flame near my feet and my lights went out.
Turned on the lightbar and drove to a gas station 100yards further.
The 20amp fuse had caught fire. and melted down.
Pulled the remains out and put in a 25amp fuse.
I looked it up and a 30amp should be in there, but the biggest fuse available was a 25amp.
10 minutes later at home, the 25amp also was hot.
Ohw well, another small issue to fix. Thinking about putting a relay for the headlights.

Zekering.jpg

av8rnik

Anyone purchase injectors from either Pensacola diesel or ss diese supply? I need to order a new set and am trying to decide between the two. Pensacola diesel's prices are almost half that of ss diesel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks