• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Dana 60 front axle and crossover acquired, Getting ready to swap larger tires in and weld some new rockers.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Burned the lights fuse on my way home.
Heard a hissing sound, followed by a flame near my feet and my lights went out.
Turned on the lightbar and drove to a gas station 100yards further.
The 20amp fuse had caught fire. and melted down.
Pulled the remains out and put in a 25amp fuse.
I looked it up and a 30amp should be in there, but the biggest fuse available was a 25amp.
10 minutes later at home, the 25amp also was hot.
Ohw well, another small issue to fix. Thinking about putting a relay for the headlights.

View attachment 541189
There is a thread in the CUCV Helpful Threads Sticky that covers why the headlight fuse gets hot and melts. It is not an over amperage that would cause the fuse to blow.

RobM36A2

There is a thread in the CUCV Helpful Threads Sticky that covers why the headlight fuse gets hot and melts. It is not an over amperage that would cause the fuse to blow.
Found it!
Also a few days ago, showed the fried piece of plastic and metal that was once a fuse to my uncle. He's a car mechanic.
After one look, he told me what was in the sticky.
To do: clean up the contacts, make the connection tight and the trouble should be over.

My horn is functioning properly, swapped for 2 jaguar horns for a unique sound.

Last edited:

chief1983

It's awesome the kind of stuff I've missed that's been written since I got my truck in 2010. Glad to see the knowledge and tricks keep evolving over time. I did just order the HELLA headlamps myself, I'll probably just get the harness now too since I'm not _currently_ experiencing any headlight issues but would rather not create any by overdrawing with H4s.

RobM36A2

It's awesome the kind of stuff I've missed that's been written since I got my truck in 2010. Glad to see the knowledge and tricks keep evolving over time. I did just order the HELLA headlamps myself, I'll probably just get the harness now too since I'm not _currently_ experiencing any headlight issues but would rather not create any by overdrawing with H4s.
Mine has been converted a long while ago, to pass inspection here, they need to be H4, something about the lightbeam, dunno, hard to convert the word to english.

86M1009AJH

Bought my M1009 about a year and half ago and finally got around to changing the 6.2's belts and plugs. Already changed the the oil, oil filter, trans fluid, trans filter, fuel/water filter, air filter, head lights, mounted/wired in the new block heater, and installed the custom rear license plate bracket (got that idea from another member on here). Had to put 2 new G. Y. tires on it because the spare was a dud and I gotten a nasty flat in one of the remaining 4. At least now i have a full set.
I still need to address my turn signal/wiper switch and my lack of horn issues. Already bought a deuce and a half surplus 24 volt air horn and already mounted it under the hood so i just need to run the air lines, wire up the air compressor with the switch and that should be good to go. As for the wiper switch. I still need a new one.
I have also mounted (not wired up yet) two Hella fog lamps to the front grill guard just above the license plate location.
Next up on the chopping block are all the replacement panels that i bought. Its not alot of rust repair thats needed but its enough to get me worrying.
Lastly im probably going to convert it to 12 volt and keep the dual batteries and alternators. One alternator and battery for the 6.2, while the other alt and bat are for the additional lights and gadgets i want to put on it.

Keith_J

I have a MEP 002A generator to compliment my SECM CUCV, the generator in the bed of the SECM makes the engine drink heavily, at least 2 gallons per hour while the 002A sips at less than 1/2 gallon per hour. Since they both are 208/120 3 phase, why not run the compressor off the 002A?

I disconnected the input to the air compressor circuit breaker, then used a length of 12/4 Romex from the 002. Bonded neutrals, grounded the generator and fired it up. Works like a champ.

now why? Because my other compressor is dying. And I need to do a bunch of work with the compressor. Plus it takes wear and tear off the CUCV.

cucvrus

Yesterday i pulled the glow plugs out of my M1009 Mule and found that it had 1 bad glow plug. I replaced it with a used one that I had from changing them in my other M1009 last wek. It was 13 degrees outside and it fired right up after I changed the one glow plug. I have 13 G AC Delcos and the resistors are still hooked up like new. When I turned the key on before I changed the bad glow plug I heard the relay cycle a few times as the wait light was on so I decided to check the glow plugs. I never knew 1 could make the relay cycle. But after watching the CUCV glow plug video on youtube I understood that was what was happening. It is 3 degrees out today. The CUCV's will have the day off. I will be driving my Silverado. Have a good day. Good luck with your projects.

SRB1976

Got my Rancho 2 1/2 inch lift installed yesterday. I installed a 12v power point and a phone charger and downloaded a neat inclinometer app on my phone.

P2180360.jpgP2180361.jpgP2180363.jpgP2180364.jpgP2180365.jpgP2180368.jpgP2180369.jpgP2180370.jpgP2180371.jpg

Keith_J

Did more spot rust treatment. Thin CARC has weathered to the point of rust bleeding through the e coat. Instead of using PTO powered air compressor, I connected my MEP 002A to the circuit breaker for the compressor and rand like that. Not enough for constant DA sander but good enough to polish out after using a poly carbide disc in the angle grinder. That really knocks the rust off. All tools powered by the generator.

Oh, also used my Bosch oscillating multi tool for prep in tight areas. Awesome tool for detail sanding.

epitts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks