• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

bimbly

Installed a pair of Group 34/78 Optima Yellowtops in the 1009 a few days ago, just in time for the -12* startup this morning. Well worth every penny. 2cents

bimbly

I went to O'Reilly's. I had a couple coupons there I cashed in for them. They only had one Yellow in store, so I had to wait two days for them to get a second one in. I heard Optima's warranty isn't covered if you buy from some online stores, so I didn't want to risk not getting the coverage.

rsh4364

I went to O'Reilly's. I had a couple coupons there I cashed in for them. They only had one Yellow in store, so I had to wait two days for them to get a second one in. I heard Optima's warranty isn't covered if you buy from some online stores, so I didn't want to risk not getting the coverage.
Wise choice going with yellows over reds,and buying local where you can return if batts. are bad. RuffStuff makes a nice battery box for them.I hope to replace my reds with yellow tops this week.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dropped the tank out of the M1010 today to replace all the hoses. Went well and she fired right up afterwards.

Keith_J

Hose reel for the air line on the 1031 SECM. Took me this long to know a reel is a must. I have replaced the filter separator so now it holds pressure indefinitely. Compressed air is handy.

Keith_J

My bad luck...I got a 10' hose whip to connect the hose reel to the compressor output in the SECM, upon arriving home I needed to get some stuff...left the hose whip on the back bumper. Well, out most recent stray adoption dog decided it was a good chew toy and chewed right through it. In TWO places.

I was able to salvage a 4' length. Still not mounted as it is sleeting, slushing and getting ready to snow.

cucvrus

After I tackled the curb with the right front wheel of the M1009 in the snow storm last Saturday night I replaced all the steering linkage and the steering stabilizer. That center piece on the front is a hard item to find. I dug around and had a new GM one so I bought all lifetime tierod ends and stabilizer at AutoZone. About $150 + or -. Off to get the front end lined up. It was a change of pace doing the repairs on the polar ice cap. The garage doors are frozen shut and I did not want to break anything trying to get them open. It was an easy task.001.jpg

Last edited:

forest522

Was able to get some artificial rain gutters installed to get a solid roof rack on. Was a lot easier than I anticipated. Then, while the weather was good last weekend - finished up some interior electrical improvements.

Finished up with installed a slightly higher capacity and cooling transmission pan. Needed a shorter filter intake tube, but once located and installed - new pan fits great! And it has a drain plug and is fitted for the temperature sending unit. Now I need to find room for another gauge!

After a nice weekend, this weekend started off with an unusual 4 inch dump of snow...fun snow driving in NM!IMG_1513.jpgIMG_1544.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

Well, out most recent stray adoption dog decided it was a good chew toy and chewed right through it. In TWO places.
Well, would it have been better for him to have left it in one well-chewed piece? :whistle:

I had a retriever that loved to chew.... everything. Garden hoses were a favorite. She was an expensive free dog! One night I had a brain fade and left an extension cord running out in the yard, still plugged in. The next morning, when I remembered it, I went out expecting to find a dead dog. Nope. She was fine. Checked the cord, and sure enough, there were a few bite marks. Just a few.

She never touched a cord, hose, or anything that looked like one again!

(NOT RECOMMENDED AS A TRAINING TECHNIQUE!) :mrgreen:

Keith_J

Well, I do have an electric fence charger. Going to wire up some old sandals she will love to chew.

yes, it has been cold and wet so no progress on install of air hose reel in the SECM CUCV. I do have plans to make it quick detach mounted. And add another 5 gallons of storage since a 2 Hp compressor ideally needs 15 gallons of tank volume. It would be great to have a tank up front with a QD to reach another 10 feet.

TexAndy

Done with everything inside the dash and the dash it self. The doors are lubed and clean, just need some adjusting so I don't have to slam them anymore.

Put a piece of garden hose or pex around the little cylinder the door latches to. I think they're supposed to have a piece of hard plastic there but they're always MIA.

I put garden hose on my 1009, and the doors latch fully closed with less force than on my 2004 silverado pickup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks