• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Assel

just got emailed that my U.S. order is now rdy for shipping to me ... cant wait for my "doghead" relay, wires & blade terminals for the AC DELCO 60g GP´s, and some "special" tools to arrive... so mainly I did today was : M1009 Office work....when you cant just walk into a "Napa" or something similar ...its a bit difficult to get parts...

oh and I visited my M1009 today, since its put into winter-sleep, no oil/water/trans-fluid drops on the floor beneath her. nice. (it has all been filled up short to "full" mark....nothings empty :p )

im still glad I also installed a Transmission oilpn with drainscrew during the summer.... no more DEX shower :D

RobM36A2

Loaded up the M1028 yesterday with stuff belonging to my Deuce. Put it all in the back and then the rain started to pour down.
A while later started up and went to the Deuce to unload. It took me a while, so while unloading, the storage owner came looking and talking and distracting me from work.
He is Always positive about the M1028 and says to me I should never sell it, it is a great truck. I said: I know, best US car I ever had, with the least amount of trouble.

the skull

Charged both batteries, fired up like a champ.
We have had 2 months of cold and crappy here.
After idling for 45 minutes I drove it around in the
country for 20 minutes. Almost forgot how enjoyable
it is to drive the old thing.

richingalveston

balanced tires

I balanced the tires today even though the truck did not feel like it needed it. I put the tires together on the rims with the new pvc beadlocks and stuck them on the truck with centramatic balancers.

The truck ran great but I wanted to make sure I was getting all I could out of the balancers so I had the tires balanced and I was surprised how much weight was needed.

The worst tire needed 13 OZ. of weights. The best tire took 10 oz. of weight.

The truck drives just a little better now but not a huge difference.
So the balancers work well. I did drive it once without and it was not good.

Attachments

Dr.Jay

6.5 turbo diesel in my M1009

http://youtu.be/frWC5V1oA7k

As some of you know, I run militarytrucks.com
I took this video Thursday evening, and finally had a chance to post it today.

It has been just over two years since the engine in my M1009 suffered catastrophic failure. In my spare time during those two years, I have been working on replacing, and upgrading the original 6.2 Detroit diesel with a 200 HP 6.5 turbo charged Detroit diesel.
This evening after work I was able to finally get the new engine running.
The cloud of blue smoke is residual oil in the turbine side of the turbo from the engine sitting on it's side before it was installed, and a leaking fuel filter o-ring.
(Tech tip for diesel engines: white smoke, smell of un-burned fuel, and low power = fuel supply pressure problem to IP)

The donor engine, and other necessary parts were salvaged from a 1993 c2500 2x4
I still need to fabricate the exhaust system from the turbo back, and #2 battery tray.
All in all I am very happy with it. I was even able to test drive it around the yard.

Ilikemtb999

Excellent. Interested in how you'll route your exhaust. I'm not happy with mine really. I have it running on the outside of the frame and dumping in front of the rear wheel.

I trimmed the rear battery tray and moved it closer to the fender enough to clear everything.

KansasBobcat

Pulled dash bezel, polished the instrument lens (not too successfully) replaced a few bulbs. Scrubbed the bezel with ArmorAll and tooth brush. Looks much better and everything works!

dmilkman589

So I have a huge favor for someone in WNY, I am away at school here in buffalo and am in the middle of a project. Im building a winch mount for the front of my m1009. I have it all tacked together but before I weld it I want to be sure it will fit just right. The problem is my cucv is back in Albany area where Im from, I wont be going back for another month or so. Anyone on here have a m1009 I can take a look at to be sure my mount will fit on the tow hook slots? Thanks allot! Just PM me

KansasBobcat

Is the armorall like lapping/polishing compound?
Andy: The ArmorAll I used on the bezel is the old, original: "cleans shines and protects" It does make the black bezel look almost new. I polished the lens with rain-x Headlight Restorer because I had some on hand. It has been a disappointment on military tail lights. Next time I will try simichrome polish which I have used for years on watch crystals with good results. Good luck with your cruise control project. Bob

MarcusOReallyus

Andy: The ArmorAll I used on the bezel is the old, original: "cleans shines and protects" It does make the black bezel look almost new.

The only thing the ArmorAll does is to fill in the fine scratches with something that's almost like oil. By filling in the scratches, it looks new, but as soon as the ArmorAll evaporates (which it does over time), you are back to square one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks