• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 of my tires delaminated....

One @70mph....causing a blowout...

The other had the tread separating.... And I was on the way to replace the tires when it completely separated, but the tire remained inflated and otherwise intact...

Got a smoking deal on some decent used 255/85/16s for my M1031..

Another Ahab

I was behind a tractor-trailer once that blew out a tire at about that speed:

- I thought a bomb had gone off or something, I mean it "exploded"

Luckily i was driving maybe 300-400 feet behind it, and managed to steer around the mayhem.

I got my religion right there. I no longer directly follow tractor-trailers.

Did you get a fright yourself, as the driver?

chief1983

The people who park alongside a trailer doing 75mph without finishing a pass could use a little 'hard lesson' I think. They would think twice about sitting there if they'd ever been alongside a blowout. I was once, I was asleep and I thought someone had discharged a shotgun.

Also, recently I installed the poly sway bar bushings as mine were pretty worn out. Currently trying to find some replacement M1009 wheels since two of mine are bent beyond balancing apparently. Anyone know a good source?

Another Ahab

I was behind a tractor-trailer once that blew out a tire at about that speed:

Luckily i was driving maybe 300-400 feet behind it, and managed to steer around the mayhem.

I got my religion right there. I no longer directly follow tractor-trailers.

Did you get a fright yourself, as the driver?
Did you have to change your shorts?
The people who park alongside a trailer doing 75mph without finishing a pass could use a little 'hard lesson' I think. They would think twice about sitting there if they'd ever been alongside a blowout. I was once, I was asleep and I thought someone had discharged a shotgun.
No, It wasn't a "shorts replacement" scare, but it definitely startled the **** out of me (just not directly to my shorts). And I would describe my one episode as less like the discharge of a shotgun and more like exploding ordnance.

And then there's that huge slab of moving rubber you're suddenly driving rapidly towards (what do you figure, 80-90 lbs?). It'll get your attention, I'm telling you.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The other had the tread separating.... And I was on the way to replace the tires when it completely separated, but the tire remained inflated and otherwise intact...

Got a smoking deal on some decent used 255/85/16s for my M1031..
You've been having an exciting month with tires. Why are you selling your ambulance/storage unit?

rsh4364

Replaced the inline lawnmower fuel filter someone installed on my new to me 86 1009.I used wix spin on head #24770,luberfiner filter #LFF-8030,added Mr Gasket #1561 press.gauge.Much better,has 6.6 lbs.pressure at idle on outlet side,and still had 6 lbs. pressure after sitting, not running for more than an hr.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
37s baja TAs on 12bolt H1 wheels w/ cut-down mag runflats. Did the cut n superglue trick on the o-rings. Easier than stretching -457s or freezing -458s. Weld on frame brace + bolt on brace. Ready to rock n roll....well....just rock, no roll. With 4 inch lift the high steer drag link rubs on the engine crossmember. Obtained ORD lo-pro crossmember, next on the list to install.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats, I check CL every day for decent used 255s. Not found one in years.

$50 for a set of 4, with about 30% tread... enough to last another year or 2...

Not kidding, it was pretty much like that...

driver side rear went @ 70 MPH, the passenger side I caught as it was delaminating, and was on the way to the tire shop to get the tires swapped when it fully delaminated, but kept pressure, thankfully.

Luckily, I've had extensive driver training, and have had blowouts at speed before...

Had a car on each side of me, was able to maintain my lane, and make it to the shoulder...

Most tires deflate rather slowly and even with a direct puncture give you ample time to prepare and get off the road...

Blowouts, not so much...

The blowout looked like swiss cheese.. I shoulda got a pic....

The delaminated one... Well. See attached...

Attachments

Another Ahab

driver side rear went @ 70 MPH, the passenger side I caught as it was delaminating, and was on the way to the tire shop to get the tires swapped when it fully delaminated, but kept pressure, thankfully.

You are a cool cookie, because to be driving the vehicle that goes through that must rattle the nerves.

I guess what I was directly behind was a combination blow-out/ delamination:

- There was the huge report and a simultaneous cloud of smoke, gas, and debris

- And then the really frightening development was to see that long slab of heavy rubber appear airborne out of all that, snaking like crazy, and you rushing toward it at high speed with traffic all around you, and you not knowing what everybody around you is going to do. It was a thrill, I'm telling you.

tread.jpg

max1008

$50 for a set of 4, with about 30% tread... enough to last another year or 2...

Luckily, I've had extensive driver training, and have had blowouts at speed before...

Had a car on each side of me, was able to maintain my lane, and make it to the shoulder...

Most tires deflate rather slowly and even with a direct puncture give you ample time to prepare and get off the road...

Blowouts, not so much...

The blowout looked like swiss cheese.. I shoulda got a pic....

I had one do the same thing, it didn't come completely de-laminated, so it was flapping against the bed. I was able to get home (approx. 5 miles) and put another tire on. It took about a week sitting in the bed of the truck to finally blow out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks