• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed all new exhaust system from exhaust manifold back. Only broke one bolt on drivers side manifold. Fire wrench helped remove remaining stud. Welded a grade 8 bolt onto stud and marched on. Now the loudest part of the M1009 is the clack of the diesel and the hum from the tires runnin down the road. All parts from Rock Auto for less than 300. (Vehicle hoist would come in handy! lol)

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LMC has a hood liner to help muffle the diesel clack, without affecting the minimalist feel in the cab area. Been on my list of upgrades for a while.

I have some body work to do first. Floor pans and rocker panels......one step at a time....lol. glad to get rid of the fumes when trundling down the highway. =)

cucvrus

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpgI had one of my M1009's give me some trouble this weekend. It was wet in the garage about the size of a quarter with Diesel fuel at the fuel pump. No problem. I went and bought a new fuel pump for $0.01 after my rebate points at Autozone and went about changing it. I can usually wiz thru this job in about 45 minutes - 1 hour. Well I had a time and when I was all completed I could not put the rubber supply hose on the pump. The barbed connection was in direct alignment with the cross member. After further looking I saw the motor mounts were bad. I have had an epidemic of this motor mount issue this year and I know I changed them on this unit about 5 years ago. I looked back and sure enough I did. 5 years and 72K miles ago. Same as the fuel pump. So it turned into a 3 hour job getting the mounts out was a real treat. They were wedged in and twisted. I thought I seen bad mounts before. These were the worse. I recommend anyone with a CUCV that has not looked at the motor mounts check them out. New ones are less then $25. for the pair. They are easy to change and make a world of difference. I do not know how I missed the boat on this one but I did. All the other service and inspection was up to date and it ran fine. Have a nice day. And keep on wrenching.

3jumpjeep

I drove and drove and drove...
My old dog and I are retired...like my 1028A2. Left Ct at 0100 Saturday and we are now in TN.
Yes she's old. Yes she slow. And yet she doesn't complain except on the steep hills, but we are towing a 5 ton fifth wheel.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
chief1983: Don't buy the hood insulation from LMC. Go to my post #828 in this thread. I installed a 4'x6' insulation blanket I bought from Jeg's. :) It really helps reduce engine noise. The glow plugs don't work as hard to heat the engine up on cold winter mornings (yes, it does get down to 32 degrees in Central Florida).

Another Ahab

I drove and drove and drove...
My old dog and I are retired...like my 1028A2. Left Ct at 0100 Saturday and we are now in TN.
Yes she's old. Yes she slow. And yet she doesn't complain except on the steep hills, but we are towing a 5 ton fifth wheel.
A "pitcher", if you got one, sure would be a treat. :smile:

UNIMOG-GUY

Snow Plow

I got this snowplow mounted last winter and forgot to put up pics. It worked great and I ended up doing 74 driveways and one church parking lot during the first 9" snowfall we got.

Attachments

Last edited:

3jumpjeep

It was long but lucrative. I've found that once you've used a plow and/or snowblower you'll never want to pick up a shovel again.
I moved from CT to southeast TN because I no longer want to plow or use a snowblower. Shovels require coordination and balance. I tow a two year old fifth wheel with a 29 year old CUCV so I know I'm not well balanced.

SgtHaas

I got this snowplow mounted last winter and forgot to put up pics. It worked great and I ended up doing 74 driveways and one church parking lot during the first 9" snowfall we got.
What type of mount does it require ? And is it easy to install? And cheap? I need a plow this winter bad!

RobM36A2

Rob, please remember to post photos of your trip so the rest of us can live vicariously through you.:mrgreen:
mvg,
Barry
Just got back this morning at 6.25 AM. Parked the truck and went to bed. At 12.30 PM I woke up and started to unload.
After unloading the shelter I had to sit down a while. Kinda tired from the long night.
Pictures and the story of the trip will take a little while.

Greetz, Rob

Edit: Teasers
War & Peace 2015 000.jpg War & Peace 2015 016.jpg War & Peace 2015 069.jpg War & Peace 2015 119.jpg

Last edited:

RobM36A2

You're a champ, RobM36A2, for covering the event for us armchair observers.

Great opener with the teasers; can't wait for more. :drool:
Well, just could not get to the living history and other side of the racecourse.
Because of the weather and I had to walk everywhere.

We were on the Kitcheners Field camp site (old but accurate map). Next year planning on getting an ATV or so to get around..
W&P map.jpg

Some other thing: I have about 120 pictures. I will upload them to photobucket tomorrow for you guys to enjoy.
For now, some more rest and early to bed.
Up at 8 AM, driving, waiting on the boat until 10.30 PM, no sleep on rough seas, and driving home from 2.15 AM till 6.30 AM.
Had a little sleep, cleaned out my shelter, no more energy to do anythng more.

The M1028 performed great, almost no oil usage (1/4 litre on 400 miles) , and a very decent fuel milage with the fully loaded shelter-trailer attached.
Got about 1 litre in 4 miles @ 52-53 mph cruising speed.

Well, off to the sofa, watch a bit TV before going to bed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks