• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

86k5

Im gonna sell the **** thing.
I replaced the fly wheel this past winter. Replaced starter right before that. I have mounted shims and the starter brace. Its been fine all summer. Ive been experiencing scratch starts again and even a run on starter..... Starter just keeps going after truck starts till i shut it down..... Whats going on? Starter ****ting out?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the fly wheel this past winter. Replaced starter right before that. I have mounted shims and the starter brace. Its been fine all summer. Ive been experiencing scratch starts again and even a run on starter..... Starter just keeps going after truck starts till i shut it down..... Whats going on? Starter ****ting out?

Have ya done the "Doghead Relay"? Simple and effective. Quick search will pull it up and it's in the WIKI. Let me know if ya wanna sell her. =)

cucvrus

Check the starter and check the engagement of the starter. It may be going into the flex plate teeth to deep. Once it is out there engaged in the teeth and it can not get out of them it will stay engaged until you disconnect the current. The best way is to remove the fly wheel cover and the solenoid on the starter and manually check how deep the starter gear is engaging the flex plate. That is a pain in the butt when you have them issues. i have a truck that is a problem with the milling of flywheels also. I am going to just keep running it until it won't start. It only does the milling about once a month and I use the truck 5 days a week. The damage was done by a starter bolt breaking off in a snow storm a couple years back. If you were closer I would help you out. Good Luck.

rsh4364

I felt the same way about my first cucv,it did everything wrong it could.Than I discovered this place and learned what to expect next and fixed things before they went wrong,it still quit on me,but I bought another one and its a gem,after a bunch of work.After learning how to work on the first one Im more comfortable working on all of them.Im in the process of getting the first 1009 back on the road.I live in a very small town and the local owner told me to sell that POS.I told the old fella I Will Not Let That Truck Beat Me,and it wont.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Jeep WK just hit me with SERVICE ELEC BRAKE and SERVICE 4WD messages. All the wheel speed sensors ohm check good, and it isn't throwing any codes. i don't know where to begin, and I hate just throwing parts at it in hopes one of them fix it. It's parked for now while I noodle the problem and figure out where to begin.

My M1009 is so freaking easy to work on I wish we could still opt for electronic-less vehicles.

rsh4364

My Jeep WK just hit me with SERVICE ELEC BRAKE and SERVICE 4WD messages. All the wheel speed sensors ohm check good, and it isn't throwing any codes. i don't know where to begin, and I hate just throwing parts at it in hopes one of them fix it. It's parked for now while I noodle the problem and figure out where to begin.

My M1009 is so freaking easy to work on I wish we could still opt for electronic-less vehicles.
We can do it.My newest vehicle is the 86 1009,then an 85 1009,then a 79 chevy Malibu.all non computer vehicles.It can be done. And we all know the older none computer vehicles are so much easier to work on.

Last edited:

Gunzy

Cleaned my M1031 up/out and fixed some lights. Verified the genset functions as it does and drives pretty nice. Deffinately not a speed demon with a TH400 and the low gears. Now I just have a few other small items to do the I want to sell it.

gnick

Hi All,

Over the past month I've done the following to my m1009

-replaced voltmeter
-installed stebel air horn
-changed all fluids/filters
-changed passenger side fender apron ( this was a B - had to drill all the spot welds out of the battery brackets)
-driver/passenger window seals
-cleaned up the birds nest of wiring that the previous owner left for me.
-added a fuze box under the hood for accessories

overall I've just been learning a ton about the truck and finding more and more to do to it. Trying to clean up the mess from the previous owners is the biggest thing. Wish I would've had a little less excitement when buying the truck and realized what a hack he was. Still love the truck though, and everyday it gets a little nicer.

CUCVLOVER

Hi All,

Over the past month I've done the following to my m1009

-replaced voltmeter
-installed stebel air horn
-changed all fluids/filters
-changed passenger side fender apron ( this was a B - had to drill all the spot welds out of the battery brackets)
-driver/passenger window seals
-cleaned up the birds nest of wiring that the previous owner left for me.
-added a fuze box under the hood for accessories

overall I've just been learning a ton about the truck and finding more and more to do to it. Trying to clean up the mess from the previous owners is the biggest thing. Wish I would've had a little less excitement when buying the truck and realized what a hack he was. Still love the truck though, and everyday it gets a little nicer.
How does the horn do?
Where did you get your window rubber? How hard was it to change?
Thank you

gnick

How does the horn do?
Where did you get your window rubber? How hard was it to change?
Thank you

i got everything from rock auto - the window scrapers are easy. However, the seals and felt are in the window track which is tougher. Its an upside down U-shape and you have to pull the vent windows out to get one side of it in. Pulling the vent window is a real SOB.

cucvrus

View attachment 576966View attachment 576967I drove the M1008 from Cortland New York to the Indiantown Gap exit in PA on I 81 with the power steering belt only. It threw the belts in New York and I stopped along the highway and cut them out of the clutch fan. I had no problems and the only issue I thought about was I am glad it was not dark. I would have never made it that far on the battery with the lights on. It was dark when I left this morning. Why is that other Speedometer picture on this post. I only looked at it and it was the wrong picture. The ones with the red lights on was today. the other one was last winter. I opened it to look at it and thought I deleted it. Oh no not that picture.
I came back to the shop today and I purchased a winning combination of belts that I have been running on the M1009 , M1028 and M1008 vehicles The 3 belts I have been buying now are Gates.
Gates XL 7450 13/32" X 45 5/8" OC (10mm X 1158mm OC)This the first belt on the rear PS pulley,water pump rear pulley, bottom rear pulley.
Gates XL 9580 1/2" X 58 3/8" (12.5mm X 1485mm) This the second belt on the center of the water pump and bottom pulley and the front big power steering pulley.
Gates XL 7475 13/32" X 48 1/8" OC (10mm X 1221mm OC)This is the one for the passengers side alternator, water pump front pulley, bottom front pulley

These belts work super good and I have them on 4 of our CUCV vehicles right now. I just put them on my Red M1008 pick up my daily runner and they have tons of adjustment and no squeal on start up and when using the truck to jump start equipment and other trucks. I call it my winning combination because they work and do the job. They are a bit tight to get on but once on the seem to hold up well for me. I run several of these vehicles hard day in and day out. OFF road on 2 of them on stone, mud, and dirt.. Thank you for looking have a nice day.

Last edited:

KansasBobcat

i got everything from rock auto - the window scrapers are easy. However, the seals and felt are in the window track which is tougher. Its an upside down U-shape and you have to pull the vent windows out to get one side of it in. Pulling the vent window is a real SOB.
Agree. The window track was easier to install with interior door panel off but the plastic is old and fragile, especially the clips at the top.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks