• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

Oh I almost forgot I had a fuel leak on my M1009 Crown of Thorns again today. This was getting old. This time it was the nozzle cap on the rear nozzle on the drivers side. i had just bought a bag of new ones at the dealer so that was no problem. Just open the hood and reach down there and push it on. They go on so much easier when they are new.019.jpgA little hard to see. And twice as hard to reach when the engine is hot and smelling of hot fuel. Joy.

RobM36A2

Went for a trip for the first time in 2 weeks.. Did not make it out of town.
Death wobble is back, and even more wobbly then before..
Next weekend, I am going to pull the wheels and inspect the kingpin springs..
No car meeting for me on saturday, I guess..

cucvrus

Simple question. Have you checked and or changed the steering stabilizer shock absorber and any or all the tie rod ends? Also the front brake pads can cause this if one side is not releasing. Clean and lube the sliding surface that the caliper rides in. I don't know what you have done or haven't done. But many things can cause this wooble. From cracked frame to bad steering box included. I have been fortunate. I used to have it happen now it has not happened to me in 15 years. Tire balance and alignment. The list goes on and on. It always seems like if you have one that does it it is hard to pin point the cause without just going wild and replacing everything. I have had great luck with replacing all the tie rod ends, an alignment and a new steering stabilizer. Then follow up with cleaning and polishing the caliper slides on the knuckle and the caliper itself followed by a cleaning and greasing of the king pins. If you have onre that does not get the wooble it will never get it. My Red truck never had that and I drive it 5 days a week. No absolute solid one answer to that mystery.

max1008

Simple question. Have you checked and or changed the steering stabilizer shock absorber and any or all the tie rod ends? Also the front brake pads can cause this if one side is not releasing. Clean and lube the sliding surface that the caliper rides in. I don't know what you have done or haven't done. But many things can cause this wooble. From cracked frame to bad steering box included. I have been fortunate. I used to have it happen now it has not happened to me in 15 years. Tire balance and alignment. The list goes on and on. It always seems like if you have one that does it it is hard to pin point the cause without just going wild and replacing everything. I have had great luck with replacing all the tie rod ends, an alignment and a new steering stabilizer. Then follow up with cleaning and polishing the caliper slides on the knuckle and the caliper itself followed by a cleaning and greasing of the king pins. If you have onre that does not get the wooble it will never get it. My Red truck never had that and I drive it 5 days a week. No absolute solid one answer to that mystery.
Start with the small things. My friends stock jeep had bad wobble. after replacing all of the suspension it turned out to be bad tires.
My colorado used to get a shimmy and a pull, started moving tires around until i found 1 tire that was bad.

NovacaineFix

Went for a trip for the first time in 2 weeks.. Did not make it out of town.
Death wobble is back, and even more wobbly then before..
Next weekend, I am going to pull the wheels and inspect the kingpin springs..
No car meeting for me on saturday, I guess..
As like Max1008 also stated.
I used to have a work F550 that did the same thing, wound up being 2 tires and a bad stabilizer. They wound up replacing both front shocks as well, but it was a fleet truck, so it didn't matter on the cost of parts.
Hopefully you won't have to replace as many.

RobM36A2

Tires are good, when I changed tires some 2000 miles ago, I had the truck aligned and the steering stabilizer and draglink was replaced.
After that no more wobble.

It is starting again, I have a culprit in mind (steering box could be loose because of vibrations). If the weather dries up, I can check it out.

Another Ahab

Cut out a rust spot in the front fender patching up with metal sheet. And then hurculining the inside fenders
I can't tell if i'm reading your picture right, SgtHaas, but:

- It looks like you eased (or rounded-off) the edges of your cuts

Is that right? Or is that just how the edges finished up after the cuts (like why would you bother, right)?

So, I'm sort of asking: what did you use to make the cuts?

cut.jpg

cucvrus

I submitted a Dodge / Ram Cummins owner to Chevrolets CUCV original design and function. I towed his dead Cummins 550 off the highway when it locked up in traffic. He was grateful and impressed. It was a cab chassis with a 16 ft dry freight box on the back. I towed him about 5 miles and set him adrift at a garage. The things that happen when I don't have my camera.

SgtHaas

I can't tell if i'm reading your picture right, SgtHaas, but:

- It looks like you eased (or rounded-off) the edges of your cuts

Is that right? Or is that just how the edges finished up after the cuts (like why would you bother, right)?

So, I'm sort of asking: what did you use to make the cuts?

View attachment 577941
The only saw I had was a sawsall (riciporcating saw) so it was hard to make precise cuts. I had to stencil out a piece of sheet metal and tac weld in place then grind the welds to smooth the surfaces of the weld. I then coated the fender well with herculiner. The red paint you see in the picture was primer to cover the bare metal to prevent future rust.
I'm not the greatest metal fab guy but learning as I go.

Another Ahab

The only saw I had was a sawsall (riciporcating saw) so it was hard to make precise cuts. I had to stencil out a piece of sheet metal and tac weld in place then grind the welds to smooth the surfaces of the weld. I then coated the fender well with herculiner. The red paint you see in the picture was primer to cover the bare metal to prevent future rust.
I'm not the greatest metal fab guy but learning as I go.
It looks great to me. I just wondered how you did it!

RobM36A2

Sometimes, things couldn't be more simple.
The steering stabilizer was loose, due to vibrations. So a little wrenching to tighten it up again.
After that took of th front wheels and did some cleaning. Also put some fresh grease in, it was needed.

Then put everything back on and went for a test drive.
The steering is smooth and the wobble is gone.

Me is happy. :driver:

Another Ahab

Sometimes, things couldn't be more simple.
The steering stabilizer was loose, due to vibrations. So a little wrenching to tighten it up again.
After that took of th front wheels and did some cleaning. Also put some fresh grease in, it was needed.

Me is happy.
It's nice when problems are simple like that

Because they're not always easy.

But it sure is nice when they are, that's for sure.

CUCVLOVER

I took the green machine to the truck pull last night.
Even being a little sick it pulled about 40,000lbs 216 ft.
I pulled in 4L and held it back in first.
The only other street diesel was an old dodge with a 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel, making a supposed 800+ ftlbs of torque, and he only pulled 229. So for HP per foot I beat him by about three fold.

The crowd did like that it was an old military truck, I was happy that I was able to drive it home.

How do I post a video?

gnick

The only other street diesel was an old dodge with a 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel, making a supposed 800+ ftlbs of torque, and he only pulled 229. So for HP per foot I beat him by about three fold.

The crowd did like that it was an old military truck, I was happy that I was able to drive it home.

How do I post a video?

THIS IS AWESOME!!! cant wait to see the vids

NovacaineFix

How do I post a video?

If you have a Google gmail account, then you basically already have a YouTube account, since Google owns YouTube. If you don't have a gmail account, start one, it's free and upload the video to YouTube.

When it's done uploading, copy the link from the top of the webpage from Youtube and post it here when you reply, by selecting the "Link" icon. That's the one that looks like a globe with a chain link on the bottom. The YouTube video should appear when you publish the reply.
Here is an example from my video from when I got my 818 running for the 1st time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPeDiBIhFAM

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks