• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

Warning/ Caution: Towing with that hitch can cause serious injury or death. I am being nice. I have a better stronger hitch on my Honda tractor. Do not tow on the highway with that piece. It is not a hitch. It is a square piece of steel welded under the bottom center of a rear step bumper. A big "DO NOT TOW" decal should be attached to it. I am being nice and giving you good sound advice. If it was that easy they would have come like that. Remember I am being nice. Tow a lawn trailer only OFF ROAD with that set up. Being nice not ugly or a wise guy.

Another Ahab

Warning/ Caution: Towing with that hitch can cause serious injury or death. I am being nice. I have a better stronger hitch on my Honda tractor. Do not tow on the highway with that piece. It is not a hitch. It is a square piece of steel welded under the bottom center of a rear step bumper. A big "DO NOT TOW" decal should be attached to it. I am being nice and giving you good sound advice. If it was that easy they would have come like that. Remember I am being nice. Tow a lawn trailer only OFF ROAD with that set up. Being nice not ugly or a wise guy.
Now you're making me question EVER driving directly behind anybody towing a trailer (because who knows right!?)

And that's probably not a bad habit to start.

You're a good man for pointing this out here to gottaluvit, cucvrus; and also for giving "food for thought". Yikes.

gottaluvit

Thanks. I actually agree. Was considering a couple straps under it as well. I did pull my lawnmower out the dirt road with it yesterday. I would not have even done that much at all on a civy truck's typical step bumper but with all the bracing for the pintle, I know the bumper will hold up. Civy bumpers also dont have a 1/4" steel bottom plate.

cucvrus

I would spend the money and get a real hitch that is frame mounted. At that low point the braces are not doing anything to support that area of the bumper for direct pulling. The welds????. The OEM braces are supporting the pintle hook and that piece on the bottom has no braces going to it. If I had a picture of my rear bumper that failed I would show you. But I was towing an M1009 with an M1028 up to Jim Thorpe MV show and the pintle pulled out of the bumper and faced straight down. It had never been messed by the military and the nut came partially thru the bumper. The safety chain tore the small piece on the right side where you attach the safety chains on a CUCV pick up. Luckily it was when i was doing a low speed U turn and the chains got snagged on the towbar. It was low speed and I was able to do some rigging to get to the show and home. I would get a frame mounted hitch or remove the pintle and use the holes for a bolt on receiver. But then only for light towing. Very light. And lesson learned use 2 safety chains not 1 laced thru the brush guard and front spring mounts. Massive force to do the damage it done. I only needed to replace the entire rear bumper and all the braces. No pictures. It was in the 90's the dark ages.

max1008

Thanks. I actually agree. Was considering a couple straps under it as well. I did pull my lawnmower out the dirt road with it yesterday. I would not have even done that much at all on a civy truck's typical step bumper but with all the bracing for the pintle, I know the bumper will hold up. Civy bumpers also dont have a 1/4" steel bottom plate.
I have the same setup, i use it very sparingly. If I cannot lift the tongue of the trailer loaded, it does not go onto the hitch.

gottaluvit

Wow. That is scary. I will only pull the mower with this, but I definitely would like to go with a frame mounted hitch soon, or the pintle location mounted one you speak of. Can the standard ones bolt up or are the pintle braces in the way? Where can one aquire one that bolts in where the pintle is? I would like that better so as to not lose the ground clearance. The mower is all I will be towing on a very light 5x8' trailer.

Another Ahab

Massive force to do the damage it done. I only needed to replace the entire rear bumper and all the braces. No pictures. It was in the 90's the dark ages.
Yikes, some of my stories are from the 80's:

- Guess that makes them prehistoric

You know, sort of.

dinosaus.jpg

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

Ha-ha.
That's good.

If you are going to have a hitch on a truck it should withstand more than the truck will pull. The hitch on my truck is a hitch tube, welded to a 3/4 x8 with 2 half in grade ten Allen bolts, braced to the frame and rear crossmember, the 3/4x8 is welded and braced to a piece of heavy wall 8in channel at each end that is welded at the frame and into the flatbed and the flatbed is welded to the frame.
I have pulled a lot with it and not a single problem, I have pulled the weight sled at the truck pull twice and the bar I use to pull with is about 18 in from hitch to the pull loop.

This post is in not way meant to down grade bash or endorse any one, company or political party.
I am just sharing my experience.
Thank you

Last edited:

gottaluvit

Got under truck today while I was there making a recepticle adapter and noticed the 1/4" steel plate I welded my receiver tube to is actually welded (by GM) to braces that directly mount to the frame. I'm confident that setup will haul my mower at top speeds of 45 mph being It only sees windy county roads at best.20150904_134854.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks