• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Another Ahab

Those where not cheap.

When I first saw this I thought it said Budweiser.

What is the bundeswehr?
Thanks
German Defence Force.

Much like our 'Armed services' umbrellas Army, Air Force, Navy, etc.

Bundeswehr is the German equivalent of our 'Armed Forces'...
So it IS kind of like Budweiser:

- If you take on too many of them all at once, you're going to have a headache.

gottaluvit

I would spend the money and get a real hitch that is frame mounted. At that low point the braces are not doing anything to support that area of the bumper for direct pulling. The welds????. The OEM braces are supporting the pintle hook and that piece on the bottom has no braces going to it. If I had a picture of my rear bumper that failed I would show you. But I was towing an M1009 with an M1028 up to Jim Thorpe MV show and the pintle pulled out of the bumper and faced straight down. It had never been messed by the military and the nut came partially thru the bumper. The safety chain tore the small piece on the right side where you attach the safety chains on a CUCV pick up. Luckily it was when i was doing a low speed U turn and the chains got snagged on the towbar. It was low speed and I was able to do some rigging to get to the show and home. I would get a frame mounted hitch or remove the pintle and use the holes for a bolt on receiver. But then only for light towing. Very light. And lesson learned use 2 safety chains not 1 laced thru the brush guard and front spring mounts. Massive force to do the damage it done. I only needed to replace the entire rear bumper and all the braces. No pictures. It was in the 90's the dark ages.
I tested my bumper mounted hitch tube and you were dead on. The weight of this mobile office (which I only moved rearward 15') had the bumper looking like it was going to come apart. I am going to limit the receiver to 500#. The plate was bowed down and had me sweating to hurry up and get that weight off the receiver. This rig up is a definite NO GO! Don't do this, anyone, unless you go by the rule that max1008 stated (if you cant lift it, don't pull it). I still will never take it down a road travelled at 55 mph or more.20150905_165543.jpg20150905_165602.jpg

Assel

Since Summer is over here and its about to get cold in the "Black Forest" I drove my Chevy to work for few days, need to get the "summer-diesel" out so I can top off with "ubergangs-diesel" and about november they start to sell "winter-diesel" .. I really dont want to get a clogged filter and a non starting CUCV

36km one way was nice to drive with ~80km/h max, one day was very rainy, now I know my CUCV is still water-proof.

Its totally amazing how much attention my small "Truck" draws.... even at work with our 100t Excavators & 120t Quarry Trucks....everyone was amazed

DSC_0078.jpg DSC_0086.jpgDSC_0073.jpg

I really think about using it daylie.... but the Audi 80 quattro is fun in dirt mud and snow too

Another Ahab

View attachment 579615

I really think about using it daylie.... but the Audi 80 quattro is fun in dirt mud and snow too
Your truck looks great.

Your Audi comment reminded me of an old buddy of mine from years back who owned an Audi sedan:

- She pointed out to me once the ski "tunnel" built into the back of the trunk so that skis could load into the trunk and slide up into a well through the middle of the car. It was pretty slick. She said ALL Audis had that feature (as though, well naturally, if you're German well skiing is just what you do).

Is that true about all the Audi's?

cucvrus

058.jpg057.jpg055.jpg056.jpgShattered the right rear axle on the Crown of Thorns M1009. When the Goodyear MTR Kevlars have traction on the road it is not good to keep giving it gas. We were pulling fence posts with cement on the end and I had the rear wheels on the road and locked in 4L it just went bang and I drove as it pulled the cement ball out of the ground I drove a bit farther and knew something was wrong. The right axle was walking out the end. We were at the barn and just stopped and jacked it up. I pulled the broken axle all the way out and removed the cover. No metal on the magnet but the axle was stuck in the splines. I removed the left axle also and took a long steel rod and hammered the broken piece out the right side. It is an easy fix. The locker still works and not harm done to that. That is the second time I broke an axle on that truck. The other one was a left front one and it broke inside at the same place. These tires get traction on dry road.

gottaluvit

View attachment 579667View attachment 579666View attachment 579664View attachment 579665Shattered the right rear axle on the Crown of Thorns M1009. When the Goodyear MTR Kevlars have traction on the road it is not good to keep giving it gas. We were pulling fence posts with cement on the end and I had the rear wheels on the road and locked in 4L it just went bang and I drove as it pulled the cement ball out of the ground I drove a bit farther and knew something was wrong. The right axle was walking out the end. We were at the barn and just stopped and jacked it up. I pulled the broken axle all the way out and removed the cover. No metal on the magnet but the axle was stuck in the splines. I removed the left axle also and took a long steel rod and hammered the broken piece out the right side. It is an easy fix. The locker still works and not harm done to that. That is the second time I broke an axle on that truck. The other one was a left front one and it broke inside at the same place. These tires get traction on dry road.
Awesome to know that the axle is the weak point. So easy to change on full floaters.

Another Ahab

Shattered the right rear axle on the Crown of Thorns M1009. When the Goodyear MTR Kevlars have traction on the road it is not good to keep giving it gas. We were pulling fence posts with cement on the end and I had the rear wheels on the road and locked in 4L it just went bang and I drove as it pulled the cement ball out of the ground I drove a bit farther and knew something was wrong.
Boy, that would have been an ugly job to do by hand.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 579667View attachment 579666View attachment 579664View attachment 579665Shattered the right rear axle on the Crown of Thorns M1009. When the Goodyear MTR Kevlars have traction on the road it is not good to keep giving it gas. We were pulling fence posts with cement on the end and I had the rear wheels on the road and locked in 4L it just went bang and I drove as it pulled the cement ball out of the ground I drove a bit farther and knew something was wrong. The right axle was walking out the end. We were at the barn and just stopped and jacked it up. I pulled the broken axle all the way out and removed the cover. No metal on the magnet but the axle was stuck in the splines. I removed the left axle also and took a long steel rod and hammered the broken piece out the right side. It is an easy fix. The locker still works and not harm done to that. That is the second time I broke an axle on that truck. The other one was a left front one and it broke inside at the same place. These tires get traction on dry road.
Go find some DANA full floats at the JY... can probably get 3.73s at the same time....double bonus..

donalloy1

Drove her to Lodi for Cal-Vet Hunt. Hour and half drive at highway speeds mostly. Loaded up with Doves and drove back home. Good job girl. I love my CUCV!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks