• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

I didn't know there was even a single part you could buy for $60.

That's a great price (that is, if they actually do more than just check your tire pressure)

I just returned from the GM dealer after the full service was performed. I was 4 miles over the scheduled maintanace and contemplated having it towed in for service;)

1986 Chevrolet D30 Milita 1GCGD34JGF445XXX
CUSTOMER REQUESTS : Perform Lube Oil and Filter on Diesel Engine
TECH PERFORMED: Lube Oil and Filter LOF. Inspected Belts,Hoses and ALL Fluids Check and Adjust Tire Pressures.
Batteries are good and checked All brakes and Entire chassis lubed at customers request. Lubricate CV joint at front rear of front prop shaft.
1- 25160561 Oil Filter GM $4.12
2 gallons of 15W40 Mobil Delvac Diesel engine oil $28.46
Shop supplies $1.29
CUSTOMER REQUEST: All 4 tires rotation includes brake inspection.
TECH PERFORMED: ALL 4 Tire rotation NO balance and Brake inspection. $19.95
Grand Total of the entire visit was $69.65
The tire rotation is well worth the $20. in my opinion. I put it right to work and ran it down I 81 S.
Runs like a champ. Anyone ever notice the clean oil smell when you first run these things?
Next service due in 3 K miles. i will try not to be late with this one. 4 Miles can kill an engine. I seen many blown up in the 1/4 mile.
Like Sgt Halftrack always said PM is key to reliable equipment. He had a cartoon to go with it. I never seen my CUCV's with their tongues hanging out but if they could they would quite often be panting. I know a few that tremble upon my approach when the plows are mounted up in a snow storm.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Like Sgt Halftrack always said PM is key to reliable equipment. He had a cartoon to go with it. I never seen my CUCV's with their tongues hanging out but if they could they would quite often be panting.
I know a few that tremble upon my approach when the plows are mounted up in a snow storm.
That's probably because you look so grumpy on those cold winter mornings:

- You should maybe try smiling a little more.

And try eating a good breakfast too; great start for a sunny outlook! :mrgreen:

cucvrus

Oh yea I did want to tell you. When I was at the GM dealer the Tech came and got me and showed me I had a Ford wheel on the M1008. It was not a hub piloted wheel on the CUCV. I did notice the last year a slight vibration when I was at 65-70 and that was not there before I got the last set of tires. I run Goodyear Wrangler Duratrak stock size LT23585/R16 tires. But last time I bought tires I got 4 wheels from my wheel collection and one of them must have been from a Ford truck I had. Anyway I changed the wheel today and balanced the tire and wheel and drove it again. It seems to have corrected the vibration. I was on I 78 and did not notice it. Maybe a fluke or maybe a fact. But I have had issues running un-piloted wheels on trucks that I run with a lot of weight in them. Just a thought and a word of advice. Thank you.

CUCVLOVER

Oh yea I did want to tell you. When I was at the GM dealer the Tech came and got me and showed me I had a Ford wheel on the M1008. It was not a hub piloted wheel on the CUCV. I did notice the last year a slight vibration when I was at 65-70 and that was not there before I got the last set of tires. I run Goodyear Wrangler Duratrak stock size LT23585/R16 tires. But last time I bought tires I got 4 wheels from my wheel collection and one of them must have been from a Ford truck I had. Anyway I changed the wheel today and balanced the tire and wheel and drove it again. It seems to have corrected the vibration. I was on I 78 and did not notice it. Maybe a fluke or maybe a fact. But I have had issues running un-piloted wheels on trucks that I run with a lot of weight in them. Just a thought and a word of advice. Thank you.
What is piloted?
Thanks

cucvrus

That means the center hole on the wheel fits tight on the hub of the truck. Since the Ford has a bigger hole then the CUCV the weight and force is being held/supported by the wheel studs only. Not by the hub center as designed. That is not a good thing. Do you understand what I am saying?

Last edited:

gottaluvit

Yesterday I switched wheels with my CUCV and my civy truck, who's place the 1008 took place of due to a cracked frame. These are within a half inch of the size these trucks came with. Had humvee tires on there and a horrible vibration from them. Smooth ride now.20150912_095343.jpg20150912_095419.jpg

gottaluvit

Also, earlier in the week I made an adapter for a flat, four prong trailer connector.20150911_133441.jpg20150911_133455.jpg
I made it using panel nails soldered to the wires and using a male 110v cord end's cover as it slipped over the truck's military trailer connector perfectly. This took two attempts as the first try I used chaulking "containing" silicone and applied dielectric grease to the truck socket's surface so the chaulking wouldn't adhere to it, but it made a nasty mess and the chaulking wasn't setting up after three days. So I cleaned it all out and used pure silicone which set up nice. This time I put packaging tape over the truck's socket first and simply put the right nail/wire through it into the correct socket. I put the wires at the 6:00 position for permanant reference. Then pumped the yellow socket, covering the wires, full of the silicone. It works great.20150904_125818.jpg20150904_125825.jpg20150904_125924.jpg
20150904_132407.jpg20150904_133522.jpg

RobM36A2

Also, earlier in the week I made an adapter for a flat, four prong trailer connector.
I made it using panel nails soldered to the wires and using a male 110v cord end's cover as it slipped over the truck's military trailer connector perfectly. It works great
I made an 7-pin adapter for euro trailers, using a militairy plug and cable from an old trailer. putting a 7-pin connector on the other end.
Maybe very long, but at least I have an adaptor and extension cord, about 2 or 3 feet long.