• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

Finally got around to fixing my rear window crank. Fashioned a couple square washers and got a bigger screw on one side that was stripped. I still baby it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sir a little grease and new glass runs go a long way in getting that window up and down. I have been putting Trimlok in the window slides and greasing the sash and rollers on the bottom of the glass. That gate is a very antique design with lots of steel parts that a starving for grease and oil. Many I see have bent and twisted sash guides / dry rollers and dry regulator gears that make it fight you up and down. Check it. Take the time and dis-assemble the entire gate and clean sand and lube everything up real good. It is worth the effort. Trust me. Check out Terminus M1009 tail gate. It was total garbage inside and I resurrected it and it goes up and down smooth with ease. Good Luck. Let me know if you need any tips. Thank you.

howardc

Sir a little grease and new glass runs go a long way in getting that window up and down. I have been putting Trimlok in the window slides and greasing the sash and rollers on the bottom of the glass. That gate is a very antique design with lots of steel parts that a starving for grease and oil. Many I see have bent and twisted sash guides / dry rollers and dry regulator gears that make it fight you up and down. Check it. Take the time and dis-assemble the entire gate and clean sand and lube everything up real good. It is worth the effort. Trust me. Check out Terminus M1009 tail gate. It was total garbage inside and I resurrected it and it goes up and down smooth with ease. Good Luck. Let me know if you need any tips. Thank you.
Yea I think these windows were a last minute idea that wasn't tested properly. When I bought the truck the window didn't roll down, so I bought the regulator from LMC and coated everything with grease before reassembling. That's something I don't want to do again. Luckily, the only problem lies with the handle on the outside. Its old and stripped out where the PO (and myself) were manhandling it with the old regulator, probably the original.

gottaluvit

Got two like new tires installed on the rear. For the front, I still have to take two tires off the humvee rims (once we get a day with no rain) so I can mount them on a set of rims I picked up off craigslist. All the rims, that came on the truck when I got it, were bent and noticable in the ride. The humvee rims contact the tie-rod end on the front. My truck is primarily function, so I wont mind the two different type rims. A little fresh paint on all four and nobody will notice. At least not as much as the rust that is growing fast. The humvee rims hold the tire in closer so it looked like with a heavy load the tire could contact the two center bolts that hold the bed floor to the fenderwell. I just ground the protruding threads off and smoothed the attached nut, just in case of contact on a bump. It appears it will clear now.

20160427_191511.jpg

Before.

20160427_190437.jpg

After.

20160427_192659.jpg
20160427_191501.jpg

Clearance afterward.

20160427_191534.jpg

CUCVLOVER

Got two like new tires installed on the rear. For the front, I still have to take two tires off the humvee rims (once we get a day with no rain) so I can mount them on a set of rims I picked up off craigslist. All the rims, that came on the truck when I got it, were bent and noticable in the ride. The humvee rims contact the tie-rod end on the front. My truck is primarily function, so I wont mind the two different type rims. A little fresh paint on all four and nobody will notice. At least not as much as the rust that is growing fast. The humvee rims hold the tire in closer so it looked like with a heavy load the tire could contact the two center bolts that hold the bed floor to the fenderwell. I just ground the protruding threads off and smoothed the attached nut, just in case of contact on a bump. It appears it will clear now.

View attachment 620034

Before.

View attachment 620035

After.

View attachment 620036
View attachment 620037

Clearance afterward.

View attachment 620038
So are you running a different size tire up front right now?
If so don't try 4x4 as it will put a lot of stress on the transfer case and other drive line parts.

gottaluvit

So are you running a different size tire up front right now?
If so don't try 4x4 as it will put a lot of stress on the transfer case and other drive line parts.
No. It came with humvee tires on bent up civy 16.5 rims all around. I like the slightly higher gear ratio the 37" humvee tires give. Not that I would do that with different gear ratios front and rear, but I never put any 4x4 in 4 wheel drive unless I am in broken traction anyway. As long as the traction is breaking, nothing else is.

Only thing now is, the front tires stick out 3/8" further. I cannot even tell looking down the side.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

No. It came with humvee tires on bent up civy 16.5 rims all around. I like the slightly higher gear ratio the 37" humvee tires give. Not that I would do that with different gear ratios front and rear, but I never put any 4x4 in 4 wheel drive unless I am in broken traction anyway. As long as the traction is breaking, nothing else is.

Only thing now is, the front tires stick out 3/8" further. I cannot even tell looking down the side.
Ahh ok.
I've heard of transfer cases exploding and stuff like that from running a smaller tire on the front and trying to use 4x4.
I will lock in my front hubs every so often and drive a little in 2x4 just to slosh the oil around and keep everything wet and happy.

gottaluvit

View attachment 620040I don't think I would want to get on any uneven ground with that little bit of clearance. You could have some issues. View attachment 620041View attachment 620042
True! Wow, thats some real twist! Heck, my frame probably would fail on that. Being this is my only pickup truck, I don't take it on any intense stuff like that. I will continue looking for two more civy 16.5 rims and get the humvee rims off kind of soon. Especially after you brought the twist factor to my attention. Thank you.

gottaluvit

Ahh ok.
I've heard of transfer cases exploding and stuff like that from running a smaller tire on the front and trying to use 4x4.
I will lock in my front hubs every so often and drive a little in 2x4 just to slosh the oil around and keep everything wet and happy.
Mine seems to be in 4x4 at least twice per week. I am one of those hill folk that drive/park in the backyard and it rains here so darn often. Any 4x4, I ever had, in two wheel drive just does horrible on wet grass. Especially with the light stock bed and the 4x4 parts shifting the center of gravity so far forward.

rsh4364

Spun my 86 1009 with 4.56 gears and 33x 10.5 tires to 83 mph for a short distance to avoid an accident, I think it liked it. But I know I didn't, nearly 4000 rpm's, this was using GPS my speedometer bounces to much to use.

cucvrus

DSCF6685.jpgI spotted my old M1031 at a job site I was on. I don't miss it but it does still look good. And it was still working and looks like the new owner still take decent care of it. It was 686 Tan when I owned it. The new owner paid me to repaint the cab flat white. He painted the rear body after I sold it to him. It looks good yet. So what I did to my CUCV was Creep on it. I was not spotted.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got enough dry weather to paint the dash. I decided to go ahead and install it. The old one came out easy enough but that's where 'easy' ended for the day. Of all the projects I've done to this truck installing the new dash was hands-down the most miserable. I completely forgot about the extra hole for the bracket on the dash- so of course the saw jumped out and screwed up the paint. I touched it up and it looks seamless. The upper left side fit is still not right and probably never will be. Looks good from ten feet though, and much better than the old one.

Attachments

Kaiser67M715

Finally got enough dry weather to paint the dash. I decided to go ahead and install it. The old one came out easy enough but that's where 'easy' ended for the day. Of all the projects I've done to this truck installing the new dash was hands-down the most miserable. I completely forgot about the extra hole for the bracket on the dash- so of course the saw jumped out and screwed up the paint. I touched it up and it looks seamless. The upper left side fit is still not right and probably never will be. Looks good from ten feet though, and much better than the old one.
Looks good, where did you get your dash?

PeeWeeQ

Found my Gen 2 gremlin and got it all back together. Finished up my B&M floor shifter mod and mounted my Cobra LTD LX in the dash....

It's great to have it runnin' and on the road again...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

gottaluvit

Disassembled two humvee wheels for the tires today and painted the civy 16.5 rims to mount up front. Used the CUCV to pull the runflats out. Tomorrow I am taking the tires and rims to town to get mounted and balanced.

https://youtu.be/H7KSgnNp5Bg
Yesterday I got the tires mounted. The rims I acquired were straight, yet the tires were way off balance. The tire shop I frequent was nice enough to put balance beads in free of charge, and only charged $12/ea. for mounting the tires. Good people. Did not have them mounted on truck as I want to make sure the deeper tread don't contact any body metal and today I threw by back out (again) and cannot mount them quite yet. Back on light duty, darn it.

joshuak

...Did not have them mounted on truck as I want to make sure the deeper tread don't contact any body metal and today I threw my back out (again) and cannot mount them quite yet. Back on light duty, darn it.
Wishing you a quick recovery.

I installed some seat covers from Jatonka.

IMG_1196.jpg IMG_1195.jpg

I waterproofed them with 303 fabric guard, came up short with something for UV protection, still looking.

Another Ahab

Yesterday I got the tires mounted. Did not have them mounted on truck as I want to make sure the deeper tread don't contact any body metal and today I threw my back out (again) and cannot mount them quite yet. Back on light duty, darn it.
Wishing you a quick recovery.
Sorry to hear about your back, gottaluvit. That's never any fun.

And from what I read, time is the best doctor for most episodes like that.

Hope that you're "up-and-at-'em" real soon. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks