• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

RobM36A2

Only thing I did with my truck: Pick up a shopping cart for my mom's acting club.

And tested my resoldered trailer plug. Wich I am happy to report as all systems go!
More info on that in the "what did you do to your trailer" topic, as it involves a lot of reading.

Another Ahab

Only thing I did with my truck: Pick up a shopping cart for my mom's acting club.

And tested my resoldered trailer plug. Wich I am happy to report as all systems go!
More info on that in the "what did you do to your trailer" topic, as it involves a lot of reading.
Time to grab a cold beer...

191661650972-0.jpg

RobM36A2

After coming home from a quick visit to my friend, noticed tiny drops of oil on the tailgate.
A moment later, also a small puddle op fluid under the truck.

Seems like the seal of the transfercase started leaking. Output seal to the front wheels that is.
I changed it 7 months ago, now the mechanic who instructed me gets to do it himself.

Has it started going bad because I was driving highway speeds (50-55 mph) with the hubs in "Lock" position?
Sometimes I forget to put them in the "Free" position.
Or just a bad seal?

Always fun these old trucks. Well, better now than halfway to the UK..

someoldmoose

Prosit !

RobM,. Have him make sure the output shaft doesn't have grooves worn in it where the seal rides. Did you see any when YOU did it ? Hopefully it was just a defective seal. It happens. Just remember to look for ALL the possible points of failure. Worn bearing inside will let the shaft move off it's axis beyond the ability of the seal to do it's job.

The only damage running with the hubs locked and the T case in 2wd will be to your wallet via fuel usage. Yes, there will be some cumulative wear n tear to front components, but no more than running it in 4wd under 4wd circumstances. Using 4wd on dry roads is bad ju-ju. I would hope you already know that.

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Thank you for the response.
Yes, I know using the 4wd on the road is a big no-no.
Well, maybe the shaft has a little play, could hear some weird vibration noise in regular intervals at 50-55mph.
When I changed it, I could not see any damage, but in my defense, I was struggling on a cart under the truck without a lift or decent lighting.

Called the guy and made an appointment to change it asap. As long as I don't use the 4wd or lock the hubs, I think I will be fine.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you want to replace other parts in the near future, get out and unlock hubs!
Your Turing all thst metal for nothing.
Fuel mileage will suffer as mentioned and your putting additional wear and tear on those components when it's not needed.

Your wallet will thank you for it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 CUCVs and one civy V30. Unless I'm planning a road trip I leave the hubs locked. Need them that way just to get out of the yard. For as little as they travel, the costs is worth the convenience.

Ilikemtb999

Allows you to run low low pressure without the worry of popping a bead. They're made by the same company that makes the hmmwv wheels as well as other military beadlock wheels

LT67

Took the bent black tail gate off and put on the spare white tail gate that's straight and closes correctly...

00n0n_kFap9FlEvnu_1200x900.jpg 19467598_1454003844643010_7727335011259057135_o.jpg

richingalveston

pvc tire inserts

I have same Hutchinson bead locks, great wheels.

Ike, do yourself a favor and make you some pvc inserts for those wheels, they balance a lot better. The Hutchinson inserts are crap and will come apart inside tire if the edge gets cut. I had one come apart in one of mine. No chance of this happening with the PVC inserts.

Also get you some centramatic balancers.
My truck rides better than my 2014 gmc 2500

just fyi, the rims are 16.5 inch. you have to get the 16 inch pvc pipe coupler, you can make two out of each one (they are not real cheap).

make them for the tires you are using, if the bead thickness changes when you change tires, you may have to make new ones or trim the ones you have down.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks