• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

pigpen60

Rotated tires and greased front end. Had lower zerk on passenger side knuckle broke off, had to use screw extractor and new zerk. Also washed truck and cleaned the windows.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Lately I've scrapped out the two parts trucks I'm using for the NV4500 swap and started getting the parts ready to go.
IMG_2442.jpg
I test fitted the bellhousing on an engine to see how much grinding needed to be done for the starter but it seems to work just fine as is, unless I'm missing something.
IMG_2457.jpg
Sprayed some paint on the transmission to help keep the rust from getting any worse.
IMG_2492.jpg
Making the vacuum boost pedal assembly work on a CUCV is fairly easy. I cut a couple studs off the pedal bracket (the hydroboost has them already) and cut down a stock CUCV brake pedal to the right width. Much easier than searching forever to find a parts truck with hydroboost brakes.
IMG_2491.jpgIMG_E2490.jpgIMG_2493.jpg

cucvrus

DSCF5241.jpgDSCF5242.jpgDSCF5243.jpgDSCF5244.jpgDSCF5245.jpgDSCF5246.jpgI also am doing some inventory reduction. Time to move along. I had great plans for this truck. They never materialized. Not like I ever had one this far apart before and put it back together. Just never had a title for this one and sold the axles a few years back. Bought another set and sold them also. Time to go. Member here is getting a few extras with this deal. I don't have time or ambition at the moment. More time constraints then ambition. Have a Great Day. On the road Saturday heading North.

Kaiser67M715

Two things, and more really just an informational post. But starter clearance is typically only needed when doing the swap with an Advance Adapters housing, or similar conversion housing. Or real early cast iron housings, with mechanical clutch.

And second is almost all 4 speed 1 tons were hydroboost, and at that point would never matter 2wd or 4wd. In case you ever want to do it to another truck.
Lately I've scrapped out the two parts trucks I'm using for the NV4500 swap and started getting the parts ready to go.
View attachment 734875
I test fitted the bellhousing on an engine to see how much grinding needed to be done for the starter but it seems to work just fine as is, unless I'm missing something.
View attachment 734876
Sprayed some paint on the transmission to help keep the rust from getting any worse.
View attachment 734878
Making the vacuum boost pedal assembly work on a CUCV is fairly easy. I cut a couple studs off the pedal bracket (the hydroboost has them already) and cut down a stock CUCV brake pedal to the right width. Much easier than searching forever to find a parts truck with hydroboost brakes.
View attachment 734877View attachment 734880View attachment 734879
And on a side note I just finished the nv4500 install in my 1/2 ton (was SM465) the hole for the shift tower and your shift boot will interfere with the NP208 shifter contraption, not just the plastic cover. And while it's out, make sure the adjustment rod for the NP208 shifter is free, the NV4500 is like an 1/8" longer, and just screwed up the adjustment enough on mine it barely will go into 4 wheel high, haven't tried 4low yet.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

FrankenCub

Well, driver's side alt belt is new again, 3 days old. And had to adjust it for the second time today. After reading some old posts, what the heck is it with CUCVs and bent crank pulley's???
My balancer is running good and true but the crank pulley is all out of sorts. It's not loose but it's the cause of this truck eating belts faster than I can feed it.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I would look at the mounting surface. I have had a few that when reinstalled they were sitting in some rusty/dirty areas and not seating properly. So remove it, clean up both surfaces and reinstall with it evenly seated. Give that a try. As far as the wobble make sure it is truly a wobble and not dirt on the pulley making an illusion. Belts are a different story. I just get belts that fit tight with the pulleys completely collapsed and go from there. Even if I must use a wrench to turn an alternator pulley to get the belt started on. Lots of adjustment. Good Luck. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

DSCF5253.jpgDSCF5252.jpg
View attachment 734937View attachment 734938View attachment 734939View attachment 734940View attachment 734941View attachment 734942I also am doing some inventory reduction. Time to move along. I had great plans for this truck. They never materialized. Not like I ever had one this far apart before and put it back together. Just never had a title for this one and sold the axles a few years back. Bought another set and sold them also. Time to go. Member here is getting a few extras with this deal. I don't have time or ambition at the moment. More time constraints then ambition. Have a Great Day. On the road Saturday heading North.
I made the trip today. 478 miles round trip. I must say the cab and frame looked much better sitting in the buyers yard then it did in mine. Another one will live because of this sale. I must have had 8 people tell me they wanted that cab and frame. I heard some of the saddest stories about why it can't happen. Well I do like the out come of this fable. Win Win. Have a Great Day. That trailer was way to heavy to tow with the 1/2 ton truck but it got the job done. I have already raked and seeded the area the cab and frame were sitting since 2008.

sandcobra164

I'm having a fueling issue with mine currently but I think I'm making progress. It shut off going down the road on an ice cream trip last night with Lee and my youngest son. It made it home under it's own power. Once stalled and shut off it would start right back up and run strong as ever. I replaced the fuel filter today and after looking at the mess that came out of it I cut the filter open. Lots of milky fuel and wax on the internal filter pleats. I thought I had the problem figured out but a short trip to Lowes later told me I still had work to do. The truck cut off 2 times going there and 2 times coming back. At least it was being consistent. I got home and removed the return line and the return line fitting from the injection pump. Looking at it towards the sun revealed alot of gunk around the glass ball inside. I took it inside and cleaned the valve. Took it for a ride and all seems to be good again. I filled the truck up with 15 gallons of diesel and it's good to go once again. I think my better half was sucking up trash fuel last night and we just need to run the truck down the road more! I've learned it will be hauled to Durhamtown this year but I need to make sure that he can go 190 plus 190 plus 40 miles if he goes up under his own power.

FrankenCub

I would look at the mounting surface. I have had a few that when reinstalled they were sitting in some rusty/dirty areas and not seating properly. So remove it, clean up both surfaces and reinstall with it evenly seated. Give that a try. As far as the wobble make sure it is truly a wobble and not dirt on the pulley making an illusion. Belts are a different story. I just get belts that fit tight with the pulleys completely collapsed and go from there. Even if I must use a wrench to turn an alternator pulley to get the belt started on. Lots of adjustment. Good Luck. Have a Great Day.
I ended up doing some unintended trouble shooting yesterday. Headed off to our property to get some more work done the belt started squealing again, 30 seconds later the gen1 light came on and the belt went beneath the truck, lasted all of 4 days I think. After closer looking, it appears the power steering isn't aligned with the other pulleys so something is out of sorts there. I also seen a bolt between the pulley and ps body that is backed off some.
Looks like I have some work to do.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having a fueling issue with mine currently but I think I'm making progress. It shut off going down the road on an ice cream trip last night with Lee and my youngest son. It made it home under it's own power. Once stalled and shut off it would start right back up and run strong as ever. I replaced the fuel filter today and after looking at the mess that came out of it I cut the filter open. Lots of milky fuel and wax on the internal filter pleats. I thought I had the problem figured out but a short trip to Lowes later told me I still had work to do. The truck cut off 2 times going there and 2 times coming back. At least it was being consistent. I got home and removed the return line and the return line fitting from the injection pump. Looking at it towards the sun revealed alot of gunk around the glass ball inside. I took it inside and cleaned the valve. Took it for a ride and all seems to be good again. I filled the truck up with 15 gallons of diesel and it's good to go once again. I think my better half was sucking up trash fuel last night and we just need to run the truck down the road more! I've learned it will be hauled to Durhamtown this year but I need to make sure that he can go 190 plus 190 plus 40 miles if he goes up under his own power.

A can of Seafoam will work wonders on a fuel system.
I pour a can in about once a month. Sooner if I drive more than usual.
Keeps fuel system happy.
Never any issues.

Keeping the tank topped off will prevent condensation inside also.

sandcobra164

Cleaning the check valve did the trick. It was running great until I put an additive called Multilube Diesel Fuel Conditioner in it. We use it at work on every diesel we store for over 90 days. Semi-Legal Disclaimer, I'm not advocating that it's anything other than a guy peeing in a jug out back of the manufacturer's building. Use it if you want to, I'm not endorsing it. I guess it's pretty strong because it plugged the filter and the check ball on the first trip after sitting overnight. After replacing the filter it still was shutting off so there must have been some junk inside the injection pump as well. Cleaned the check ball and filled the tank and the truck is good to go again. Tinstar, I appreciate your advice and tips as well as anyone else who has steered me in the correct direction when my truck has an issue.. At one time and issue like this would have sidelined me into pulling the injection pump and spending a pile of money that I don't have. Since I've been through this before and gained knowledge from the "go to crew", I already knew what needed to be done to correct the issue. I know I need to adjust my usage habits with my truck but it's really hot in Georgia this time of year. I'll work at improving my habits and I'll bet the truck will reward me with better service and availability.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After developing a steering issue on the SECM looking truck, I recruited soldier B to help diagnose.

Found the problem and it was not pretty and completely avoidable. 3 years or so ago I swapped out the front axle. In true screwed up fashion, I didn't follow my own advice. Left front ubolts were very loose. I never retorqued them after install...huge mistake. Loose ubolts caused the centerpin in the leaf spring to snap.

Note to others, the stock front springs only take a 5/16 center pin, not a 3/8 that I had a bunch of.

Russm

Installed a Pulsetech solar 24v battery charger/desulfator/pdu that i received from a fellow member.
Panel went on the roof. Control box temporarily mounted with zip ties in the center console until i can make some brackets. Circuit breaker box went between the batteries on the wheel well.
Have not been driving it much lately so the batteries have gotten weak and it's been struggling to start. Hopefully this fixes it.

Attachments

sandcobra164

Installed a Pulsetech solar 24v battery charger/desulfator/pdu that i received from a fellow member.
Panel went on the roof. Control box temporarily mounted with zip ties in the center console until i can make some brackets. Circuit breaker box went between the batteries on the wheel well.
Have not been driving it much lately so the batteries have gotten weak and it's been struggling to start. Hopefully this fixes it.
Russm,
I am a fan of the PulseTech products but what you have is a 10 watt maintainer. 10 watts in bright sun, it is not a charger and PulseTech's literature supports my statement. I recommend that you charge the batteries to the best of their capacity and use the Solargizer to keep them topped off while sitting. We use them at work and they are great but they will not revive a low battery but they will keep pace with a batteries internal discharge rate step for step pretty well.

Russm

Russm,
I am a fan of the PulseTech products but what you have is a 10 watt maintainer. 10 watts in bright sun, it is not a charger and PulseTech's literature supports my statement. I recommend that you charge the batteries to the best of their capacity and use the Solargizer to keep them topped off while sitting. We use them at work and they are great but they will not revive a low battery but they will keep pace with a batteries internal discharge rate step for step pretty well.
Yes I know thanks. Just copied the name of the thing from the sale post.
Driving it is what charges it.
It discharges itself just sitting there in the driveway needed to stop that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandcobra164

Drove mine 70 miles over the past 2 days. It broke down due to a fueling issue but after cleaning the check valve on the Injection Pump cover it seems to be back to normal again. I'm going to change my habits and drive the truck on a 30 mile trip a week whether I have a need to or not. Should keep fresh diesel in the tank and eliminate some of these gumming up issues caused by sitting.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove 170 miles for an annual campout and parade.

Put 11 gallons in.

That gives me 15.5 MPG on an M1031 on mostly highway miles, 55-60 MPH.

I'm OK with that... heh.

SSGTUSMC

Got some new rubber put on last night!
FALKEN 32/11.5/15 Wildpeak AT3/W
They look so much better than the old tires

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks