• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

pigpen60

What ? It causes rubber to deteriorate ? I did not know that. Now how am I going to get rid of those pesky, rotten little meecse !!!
At what percentage does it start to rot the rubber ? Maybe I can lower the machines "ozone" level ?
I'm not sure at what level it affects, sorry.

CivilEGR

Lets see.

Hosed mouse shlt out of the cab.

Upgraded the steering stabilizer.

Balanced the front tires and got rid of the death wobble.

Ripped the old rubber floor mat out of the cab.

Hosed more mouse shlt out of the cab.

Replaced the Dana 60 bushings and springs.

Shoveled more shlt out of the cab.

Removed the dashboard, instrument bezel, and glove box.

Removed the airbox, and managed to pull the heater core apart trying to pull the hoses off. And all said, I found this in there.

6apfJTi.jpg

CivilEGR

Lets see.

Hosed mouse shlt out of the cab.

Upgraded the steering stabilizer.

Balanced the front tires and got rid of the death wobble.

Ripped the old rubber floor mat out of the cab.

Hosed more mouse shlt out of the cab.

Replaced the Dana 60 bushings and springs.

Shoveled more shlt out of the cab.

Removed the dashboard, instrument bezel, and glove box.

Removed the airbox, and managed to pull the heater core apart trying to pull the hoses off. And all said, I found this in there.

View attachment 738418
Followup, whats the black pad that goes on the inside of the cab against the firewall called?

KI4FKW

Checked that all of my trailer plugs work, temporarily mounted my tag to my bumper, replaced my squealing driver side alternator belt, installed a bridge plate!96E3921C-3BFC-42F3-9419-6429B4911BE4.jpg

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was easy.
It's much easier if there is someone else there to position the cab in the correct location. And if you do not need to cut the floor pans to get the body mount bolts to come out and go back in.

Actually, these trucks are pretty simple to take apart and reconstruct.

rustystud

It's much easier if there is someone else there to position the cab in the correct location. And if you do not need to cut the floor pans to get the body mount bolts to come out and go back in.

Actually, these trucks are pretty simple to take apart and reconstruct.
Did you use new "polyurethane" cab mounts ? I went with them years ago and I'm glad I did. No more squeaks and squeals
and the cab sits better then it ever did.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you use new "polyurethane" cab mounts ? I went with them years ago and I'm glad I did. No more squeaks and squeals
and the cab sits better then it ever did.
Yes I did install new poly for the body, trans/transfer case mount, springs and radiator. I am looking forward to seeing if it improves the ride.

Also installed second fuel tank, transfer pump and associated wiring. Replaced every piece of rubber I can find. Had the engine rebuilt, transmission and transfer case rebuilt and will start on the interior refurb after its back running. The dash and door panels were changed to black by a previous owner so I will keep it that way. On Friday I was able to pick up a new dash pad for $225.
Thinking about adding air conditioning to it. Not sure if that will happen.

LT67

Didn't do anything to either of the M1008's today. I did however put my 78yr old Mama in the driver's seat of the 86 M1008 and showed her how to put it in 4wd. Then we hit a few of the climbs and gullies on her property with lotsa rolling hills. Good times, she had fun driving the old truck off road.

911joeblow

Didn't do anything to either of the M1008's today. I did however put my 78yr old Mama in the driver's seat of the 86 M1008 and showed her how to put it in 4wd. Then we hit a few of the climbs and gullies on her property with lotsa rolling hills. Good times, she had fun driving the old truck off road.
She will talk about that time for years to come! Good on you!

rustystud

Yes I did install new poly for the body, trans/transfer case mount, springs and radiator. I am looking forward to seeing if it improves the ride.

Also installed second fuel tank, transfer pump and associated wiring. Replaced every piece of rubber I can find. Had the engine rebuilt, transmission and transfer case rebuilt and will start on the interior refurb after its back running. The dash and door panels were changed to black by a previous owner so I will keep it that way. On Friday I was able to pick up a new dash pad for $225.
Thinking about adding air conditioning to it. Not sure if that will happen.
I also changed out all rubber bushings to polyurethane and love it. It does make a difference in body roll and handling.

LT67

Found a mint set of M1010 doors, grill and passenger side headlight bezel for the 86 M1008 today.. the seller was a cool old dude as well.

39869240_1897686216941435_4305003393325203456_o.jpg

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got shafted.

Long story short....

Went to get brake fluid flushed 3 yrs ago.... Les Schwab promised they'd use DOT5...

Had to take it back 4 times for squishy pedal.

FFWD (rewind?) to last month, I replaced a caliper that I realized had seized and in bleeding noticed dissimilar fluids..

Called up Les Schwab 'We don't use DOT5'...

So, then I nailed him to the wall with mixing dot3/dot5 and he says they would have GOT DOT5 if that was the right fluid...

He offered to do another flush 'off the books'...

Well, he flushed it, brake pedal is soft as *&%$, almost to the floor, and there are white particles floating in dirty fluid in the reservoir that he 'flushed'.... Then he said he DRAINED the master cylinder....and refilled it....and says 'it definitely has 2 different fluids in it but we don't know if you're the one that did it, it's been 3 years'.....refuses to take blame but admits the fluids are mixed, then says they're not touching it again....even to flush out anything else to fully flush...

and

my brake fluid smells like ammonia....

I've never had brake fluid smell like that.

AND..

There was a watery like substance on the inside of the reservoir lid rubber, that the guy tried to say was water from my braking system.....like actual droplets.... that was not there a week ago...

My understanding is that if the reservoir is emptied/master cylinder gets any air in it that it has to be bench bled. Is that true?

Then the dude has the cajones to say that since fluids were mixed (BY THEM!), he suggests replacing everything, ie master cylinder, lines, calipers, etc.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got shafted.

Long story short....

Went to get brake fluid flushed 3 yrs ago.... Les Schwab promised they'd use DOT5...

FFWD (rewind?) to last month, I replaced a caliper that I realized had seized and in bleeding noticed dissimilar fluids..

So, then I nailed him to the wall with mixing dot3/dot5 and he says they would have GOT DOT5 if that was the right fluid...

Well, he flushed it, brake pedal is soft as *&%$, almost to the floor, and there are white particles floating in dirty fluid in the reservoir that he 'flushed'.... Then he said he DRAINED the master cylinder....and refilled it....and says 'it definitely has 2 different fluids in it but we don't know if you're the one that did it, it's been 3 years'.....refuses to take blame but admits the fluids are mixed, then says they're not touching it again....even to flush out anything else to fully flush...

and

AND..

There was a watery like substance on the inside of the reservoir lid rubber, that the guy tried to say was water from my braking system.....like actual droplets.... that was not there a week ago...

My understanding is that if the reservoir is emptied/master cylinder gets any air in it that it has to be bench bled. Is that true?

Then the dude has the cajones to say that since fluids were mixed (BY THEM!), he suggests replacing everything, ie master cylinder, lines, calipers, etc.
If you need the vacuum pump to pull some clean DOT5 through the system you're welcome to it.

rustystud

Got shafted.

Long story short....

and

AND..

Boy I hate to tell you, but your going to have to completely rebuild your brake system. You will never be able to trust the rubber seals again in either the wheel cylinders, or calipers or the master cylinder. They ALL must be replaced.
Sorry.

MarcusOReallyus

Got shafted.

Long story short....

Ugh. A chain. Not good.

Boy I hate to tell you, but your going to have to completely rebuild your brake system. You will never be able to trust the rubber seals again in either the wheel cylinders, or calipers or the master cylinder. They ALL must be replaced.
Sorry.

I think I see small claims court in your near future, TW. Time to start making a paper trail, keeping a log of conversations, actions, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks