• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

D6T

Never heard it happening even once.

Cite?
Search the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums for OCOD- the Orange Can of Death.

...although I’m pretty sure Fram quality today is light years ahead of when the term was coined about 20 years ago.

rustystud

Search the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums for OCOD- the Orange Can of Death.

...although I’m pretty sure Fram quality today is light years ahead of when the term was coined about 20 years ago.
That is one of the reasons I will never use "Fram" filters. The other is they are the worst at catching material. I only use "WIX" now. "Baldor" is also an extremely good filter.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is one of the reasons I will never use "Fram" filters. The other is they are the worst at catching material. I only use "WIX" now. "Baldor" is also an extremely good filter.
I don't use Fram oil filters (Mopar for the Jeeps and Purolator for the M1009) but for $2.60 I'll chance it. These are also the 'tough guard' filters and the can is silver, not orange.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never heard it happening even once.
Cite?
It’s been discussed on SS before.

I have also have witnessed it when a friend didn’t take advice not to use a Fram filter on a Diesel engine.
Bits of filter media clogged oil passages on a Duramax.
Almost destroyed engine. Was shut down before seizing.
He cut open filter and paper inside it had started to disintegrate.

I will never use Fram.
Wix and Baldwin filters only.
Wix for my cars and trucks and Generators.
Baldwin for my tractors.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the videos that prove my point.
99% efficiency, 10K mile life, and silicone anti-drainback valve.
Still don't see what the problem is.
Most never do see the problem until there’s a problem.

Fram Filters suck
Go cheap......Get cheap.

I'm not risking an engine worth thousands on a cheap filter.
You get what you pay for.

Good Luck.

cucvrus

https://www.yourbestpicks.com/best-oil-filters-reviews/
https://axleadvisor.com/best-engine-oil-filters/
https://www.2kreviews.com/best-oil-filters/
https://www.caroutfitter.com/best-oil-filter-reviews/
After I read over this I thought. WOW. Now we can debate oil filters which is best and the best is varied according to leading surveys.

I use the A C Delco because that is what the GM dealer puts on when I take my vehicles in for service. After over 20 years on some vehicles I never noticed any difference or had any oil filters cut apart to check for paper separation. I will leave that up to you. I don't like changing oil. It is a dirty job and is hardly worth the $35-$55. effort on my part. The above surveys show the oil filters in different orders. But it looks like Royal Purple & Mobil 1 have a lead. Am I going to rush out and demand them be used on my vehicles? No I am content and satisfied that the trucks are properly serviced and they keep running. Well maintained is about all I concern myself with. Like tires can be debated to death. What ever fits and works for you. keep doing it. There really is no good , better, best. I am just glad that the oil gets changed as required. On newer vehicles I use the oil life indicator. When it gets below 10% time to head to the dealer for an oil change. It works and that is all I can ask. Have a Great Day.

rustystud

Most never do see the problem until there’s a problem.

Fram Filters suck
Go cheap......Get cheap.

I'm not risking an engine worth thousands on a cheap filter.
You get what you pay for.

Good Luck.
Totally agree. I still remember a class I went to on oil filters (work related) . They had all the major brands represented. All cut in half. You could see right away which had the better material. The kicker though was thee "used" filters they had cut in half. Again all the major brands represented. You really could see the differences now. You actually could see which filters was allowing particles through the filter. That was when I went to "WIX" filters. Also as an aside, cucvrus your OK in using "AC Delco" filters. They are right up there with WIX and Baldwin and Baldor a few other major top brands. Top quality all. Fram though has been at the bottom of the list for so many years now I don't believe they even want to improve. They get the "buy it cheap" market and that seems to be fine with them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no independent knowledge of filter testing but im steadfast in using Baldwin (when I can find them), Wix and Napa filter which are Wix as well. I've not used anything else in well over 20 years.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Horses, water.... *shrug*
Discussing oil and filters are like discussing politics or religion.

I asked anyone to cite any authoritative source that the filters I bought were less than ideal and I see several posts talking smack, but no answer to the actual question.

Now we've devolved to veiled personal insults, which I find a little difficult to understand. I'm supposed to infer that I'm as dumb as a thirsty horse that won't drink?

That's a new one for me in this forum. :-|

MarcusOReallyus

I don't know what you mean by, "authoritative source". If you are looking for a white paper from some ASME engineers saying that Fram filters are junk, well, I don't think that's available. There are plenty of videos in that link showing people cutting open various filters and comparing them, and the quality difference is pretty obvious to me, and to a lot of other people. If that's not convincing to you, well, it's your truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks