• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cb88

Tore out the rotten dash and removed the gauges so I could get at the wiring better, sprayed deoxit all over the place., replaced the headlight fuse as it was just plain gone, Police stuff (lights siren etc...) removed, replaced the reverse lights with LEDs, ordered flashers so I can put LEDs in the brake lights. New wipers correctly installed (the guy I bought it from didn't have them on properly it came off in the rain on the way home (1hour drive). 2 of my younger brothers helped me rainx the whole thing. Ordered a 30mm ammo can new for a console.

Horn still doesn't work so I gotta trace that down. I inadvertently cut two wires going to my trasfer case shifter when pillaging the poliece gear so I need to clean that up. Need to check the alternators are working properly I've driven a few hours today but it was on the charger before that as I wasn't sure. Superficially its all working at this point except for the blackout lights which were painted over and the wires have been cut to the markers in the back.

I had to loosen up the back set of 4 bolts on the passenger seat to get the wiring for the poliece gear out.

Put $14 of diesel in it.... so it isn't too thirsty I drove it probably at least 100+miles probably more like 150 and a decent amount of idling.

My niece named it Sarge. I've never been in the military myself but I did work for a military contractor on the software in the JBPDS a few years back. The Military sure does love acronyms!

Attachments

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took a ride to see CUCVRUS, we finally had a chance to meet in person and chat about a lot of things. Conversations were great and we had an enjoyable time looking at his projects and parts inventory. His work quality is superior!

Rick has a plethora of CUCV parts and is very reasonable with his pricing. I was able to get a few hard to find parts for some future projects and will be looking for more items as time goes by.

We tried to get pictures but the camera burst into flames as soon as it was able to auto focus on us. Must have been the heat!

Cory1337

Magic smoke.....
20200801_112419.jpg

I cleaned up the under dash wiring to get rid of previous owner add on and "fixes" . Go to start here and smell burning..... Looks like that is the trigger for the relay. Is that a sign of something worse or just time for a new card???

cb88

Magic smoke.....
View attachment 807682

I cleaned up the under dash wiring to get rid of previous owner add on and "fixes" . Go to start here and smell burning..... Looks like that is the trigger for the relay. Is that a sign of something worse or just time for a new card???
Note this thread is for what you have done not questions.... so start a thread on it! Rememeber "DO NOT post questions about your issues in this thread. " its right in the first post.

Anyway... since my last post I've replaced my dash lights with LEDs .... unfortunately they don't seem dimmable directly I ordered them from superbrigthleds and they are bright. The indicators are a bit too bright IMO... I may end up splicing in a dimmer circuit to adapt the factory dimmer to LEDs so they get PWM dimmed instead of current dimmed. Also... some Kilmat, and a stereo arrived I'll definitely post pictures of how that goes. I'm not going for 100% stock military look but am keeping it tasteful hopefully. Also going to mount a 30mm can that arrived, I picked up 4 40lb magnets that are going to mount to the bottom of the can so I can remove it as I like..

I can't find a dimmer circuit so I may end up just making my own to adapt the stock POT control to dim the LEDs.... kind of supprised that isn't just available on ebay/amazon.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cory1337

I'm in the middle of moving from Indiana to Arizona. Added a glow plug button so my parents can move the truck around until I'm ready to ship it out. 20200801_141935.jpg
Previous owner disabled black out switch function and used spot for battery shut off. Perfect spot to put the button. Just have to get the dash put in by Monday(leaving Tuesday) . Once I have the truck in Prescott I'll start diagnosing the glow plug card.

Abbylind

Replaced the right front tire. My 2 year old MTR hit something while backing up. Cracked the side wall. Man getting those PVC inserts out of the old tire is a b*tch! Ended up cutting the sidewall to pull it out.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reinstalled the airlift 5000 airbags with new lines on the tow truck just as I received it from the DLA auction. They held pressure overnight so all is well. Have a great weekend!

Attachments

Russm

Spongy Brake Pedal Gremlins and Woes:

Started out with winterizing the truck (moving to Alaska in a few months), wanted to put in some fancy brake fluid and clean out the old stuff. Truck has been converted to rear disks btw. Found that one of the bleeder screws was crossthreaded and jammed in there with probably 3-5 ugga duggas. Got new calipers, installed everything, brake pedal goes to the floor.

Started troubleshooting the proportioning valve. Ended up replacing it completely with an adjustable one for rear brakes and tee off the front line direct to the front brakes. In the pursuit of the issue I replaced the MC with one from a 1980 corvette (has 4-wheel disk stock and a large rear reservoir) and a bunch of hard brake line due to using too many size adapters and getting leaks. Tried a brass tee first but it couldn't handle the pressure. Replaced with a chrome plated steel one. Pedal still goes to the floor.

Found out the installer who did my lift/rear disks installed the calipers backwards (left on right and right on left) the bleed screw was below the brake line banjo bolt so I had a bubble in there still. Corrected this and had to buy new parking brake cables cause the existing system just didn't make sense (would lock the rear right wheel only) and besides the cables didn't reach. Pedal now spongy as hell

Read somewhere that full disk setups need 2lb residual valves to the rear brakes, tried it out. Brakes now work properly after bleeding extensively. Nice hard pedal now.

The whole process took about 2 months of headache and waiting for corona shipping times. I learned how to adjust parking brakes on the caliper, how to swage? wire, how to make double inverted flare brake line and a good understanding of the brake system on these trucks.

The corvette MC must have some kind of built in proportioning for the rear brakes because even without the adjustable proportioning valve on rain slick roads with my hard slippery 15 year old humvee tires I can't get the rears to lock up under hard braking. Going to call it done. Some pics below of the work done.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1009, built in a barn "?" ( ? , because dougco1 has already claimed „1“ for easter find in another thread....... I don't want to offend anyone ....... that still needs to be clarified ) is still on the Atlantic for a while, the preparations for the German TÜV ( safety inspection) has begun. cucvrus gave me 2 extra taillight lenses where I glued reflectors approved for Germany on it.

image.jpg

...... every journey begins with the first step......

dougco1

My M1009, built in a barn "?" ( ? , because dougco1 has already claimed „1“ for easter find in another thread....... I don't want to offend anyone ....... that still needs to be clarified ) is still on the Atlantic for a while, the preparations for the German TÜV ( safety inspection) has begun. cucvrus gave me 2 extra taillight lenses where I glued reflectors approved for Germany on it.

View attachment 810473

...... every journey begins with the first step......
german m1008-

Obviously all of cucvrus "Built in a Barn" are # 1s. So I can't lay sole claim to that designation. Speaking for all, I assume there will be photos posted of your new ride when it arrives at port. I am anxious to see if it looks as good on German soil as it did on American soil.

Also as for it's Atlantic voyage, I pray for "fair winds and following seas" and may the salt spray cause no harm.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's really cool german m1008, congratulations. I'm excited for you! And looking forward to the great pictures you post from your road trips.

Are you able to track your "package" in real time?

The container ship should be around 16.09. 20 arrive in Rotterdam / Netherlands. It was already in charleston ...... at the moment the ship is in savannah. I don't know where else it's going.........but I know one thing ....... it takes too long
I have a ship tracking app ......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks