• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HEMTT/PLS/MK48 this week

Elideclan2

"FASS " is a fuel air separator. It's filters are a much higher grade, and filter to a much lower micron size than the original military filter. I like to give these old motors the cleanest fuel possible. As for the mrap dryer I installed it because the original was smoked. The mrap dryer had a higher cfm rating as well. Both work flawlessly.

dk8019

There are an amazing amount of hoses on these cranes. I've replaced three now I think, and I believe there's one leaking on the right stabilizer as well. Need to sort out where and how to get to it in the spring. Most of the hoses look original, so no surprise there. The general failure mode seems to be a bubble that appears in the hose, which then starts to squirt. It often fixes itself for short time. Seems a hole forms in the inner layer, which then works its way through the steel mesh, and then pushes on the outer layer creating the bubble. I've got piles to do on the dozer as well in the spring. Of course like all things hydraulic, the connectors aren't cheap, especially right angle and swivels.

JDToumanian

I got my outrigger beams stuck in the 'out' position... Thank goodness the truck is in my backyard. I was playing with the crane, it works great. Went to stow it, everything went well until the last step - retracting the beams. I can hear a slight load come on the engine but no movement... One of the first things in the troubleshooting section was to check the hydraulic filter, so I removed it and the filter-base-to-canister rubber seal crumbled. TM 9-2320-279-24P-2, Fig. 412, item 16, NSN 5330-01-466-1532. HARD TO FIND!!! This seal should really be provided with the filter element... Has anybody replaced theirs yet? Where did you get it? I sent a RFQ to ISO-Parts and put a call in to Pall Aeropower, the filter's manufacturer. I'm going to call them again tomorrow. I hate any seal I can't get at McMaster or Applied Industrial... It's just a hydraulic filter, FFS.

Jon

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the driver door installed, new batteries, o-rings, and fuel. Overall not too costly (so far). I'm still looking for the cab foot steps and the proper driver side mirror arm, I think I was sent one for a PLS or LVS as it's not the same as the passenger side and keeps sliding. Overall I'm very happy but I want to compare it to other member's trucks to ensure everything is acting right. :D

Attachments

JDToumanian

I got my outrigger beams stuck in the 'out' position... Thank goodness the truck is in my backyard. I was playing with the crane, it works great. Went to stow it, everything went well until the last step - retracting the beams. I can hear a slight load come on the engine but no movement... One of the first things in the troubleshooting section was to check the hydraulic filter, so I removed it and the filter-base-to-canister rubber seal crumbled. TM 9-2320-279-24P-2, Fig. 412, item 16, NSN 5330-01-466-1532. HARD TO FIND!!! This seal should really be provided with the filter element... Has anybody replaced theirs yet? Where did you get it? I sent a RFQ to ISO-Parts and put a call in to Pall Aeropower, the filter's manufacturer. I'm going to call them again tomorrow. I hate any seal I can't get at McMaster or Applied Industrial... It's just a hydraulic filter, FFS.

Jon
I got a reply from Pall Aeropower:

"The head-to-bowl seal on the 9800 series filter assembly is a -229 size o-ring. This is a standard sized o-ring, according to the SAE AS568 specification, and should be available at most hydraulic supply houses. The material is nitrile and it's 70 Shore A durometer.

Pall doesn't offer individual o-rings, only seal kits which would contain all of the seals in this housing. The part number for the nitrile seal kit for the 9800 housing is p/n F1129466 and can be ordered through the Pall distributor in your area."

I'm happy to know that a standard o-ring will work, but that is most definitely NOT what was in there. It had some kind of square 3-lip seal, like an "E" cross section. The NSN description clearly calls it a multi-lip non-metallic sprung seal, made of plastic, but the groove certainly looks like the o-ring will work. I've got some on order from McMaster-Carr.

Jon

Tornadogt

I am going to pick up a M105 trailer tomorrow which just so happens to be on the same lot as my Hemtt. Still waiting on the ECU but I will be looking over my truck while I am there. Posting pictures when I get back..

tbar123

Could someone with one of these awesome machines be kind enough to take a picture of the front strut assembly. I'm trying to confirm the assembly I have is for these trucks. Thanks in advance.

Tornadogt

Photos from today's visitation, I this is going to be the longest 60-90 days ever..

I knew the fuel separator/filter had problems but i brought a backup plan. It installed pretty quickly.
View attachment 609044View attachment 609045
Next was to swap batteries, it had 4 Hawkers dated Jun 07 which had some juice (Powered the lights and gauges but would not turn over the engine)
I swapped them out and brought them back with me, I am hoping they will come back up on charge..
Next I loosened the main fuel line going into the front of the engine, a little air pressure into the fuel tank (half full) to prime until it started to seep from the loose fuel hose and retighten.

Flip of the switch and she growled to life..... THUMBS UP.... We have a functioning HEMTT. I drove it back and forward a few times all seams to be in good working order.
Before I left I filled the tires for the long wait for the EUC.
View attachment 609055
IMG_3664.jpg

dk8019

Very nice Torn! They wouldn't let me touch mine down in Ft. Worth each time I came down for work. To much fear that an EUC won't clear and that would create issues!

Tornadogt

Very nice Torn! They wouldn't let me touch mine down in Ft. Worth each time I came down for work. To much fear that an EUC won't clear and that would create issues!
I also got some of the same push back on going to look over mine from the site manager, But I was there to pick up a trailer anyways and I took a "Does not Start" truck to "Runs and Drives" truck with half a tank of fuel in about 45mins. Judging by current auction prices look like I tripled the value of the truck. nothing for them to complain about there. :)

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I learned is that there is to be no civilian access to the saginaw facility. Any trucks they sell have to be relocated to a 3rd party for storage (tow company/heavy haul) which is at one of their remote unmanned yards. I attempted to get access to my HEMTT while the EUC was pending to inspect tire damage but the manager said for someone to meet me out there it was $150 for 2 hours. I didn't have any of that so I talked to GP and they agreed it wasn't right and were in the process of sending someone over to inspect my vehicle for me. The EUC cleared just after that and had it picked up. I'm very glad I did, it sat on 3 flats for the possible 97 days which it was supposed to be maintained (at an unmanned site?). I've been working with the higher ups in GP to correct this stuff and they are going over contracts with problematic 3rd parties. One said they've collected a years worth of data to make better projections so this should lead to better access to inspect our items being held up by the EUC.

JDToumanian

A short run from the tire place back to my yard, I left my chase car in the dust from that stop. She screams all the way and it's music to my ears. I'll have better footage once my replacement GoPro battery arrives.
Awesome! :beer:

Nice to hear that your transmission shifts the same as mine... At first I thought it was malfunctioning, but over the course of the 1,800 mile recovery trip, I came to accept the torque converter unlocking at each shift, and then locking again, as normal. Allison's manual states that lockup should occur at about 10 mph in 1st gear and then it should stay locked, even when shifting through the other gears. But I found one reference on a transit bus site that said very late model 740 transmissions were programmed (mechanically) to split shifts by unlocking and locking, to better keep the engine in the power band. Still, it's reassuring to see yours do it too...

Jon

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome! :beer:

Nice to hear that your transmission shifts the same as mine... At first I thought it was malfunctioning, but over the course of the 1,800 mile recovery trip, I came to accept the torque converter unlocking at each shift, and then locking again, as normal. Allison's manual states that lockup should occur at about 10 mph in 1st gear and then it should stay locked, even when shifting through the other gears. But I found one reference on a transit bus site that said very late model 740 transmissions were programmed (mechanically) to split shifts by unlocking and locking, to better keep the engine in the power band. Still, it's reassuring to see yours do it too...

Jon
My thoughts exactly, I confirmed the function with Tornadogt when he moved his at Hood this week. It's odd but it works!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks