• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not my humvee, came out of one I was working on. Military alt failed, swapped in civi alt, test run civi was not charging batteries so trouble shooting found bad start box and 7 out of 8 glow plugs bad. Put good start box in and alt was charging as it should. She put up a good fight.

View attachment 854209
PCB … prohibitively corroded box?

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So am I to understand that the reason they went with these timed boxes is to prevent the driver from over heating the glow plugs via push button? Massive and expensive failure.

Mark

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So am I to understand that the reason they went with these timed boxes is to prevent the driver from over heating the glow plugs via push button? Massive and expensive failure.

Mark
No it was originally meant to protect the electronics in case the batteries were hooked up backwards, (or incorrectly jumped) why it was originally called a protection box, all that went out the window with the alternator upgrades which bypassed the protection box.
Virtually every diesel vehicle in the world has timed glow plugs and a wait light, every one of them without this all to regular failure except for the HMMWV.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went and helped rescue a pickup that got itself stuck up on logging roads.

Then as we were just getting it turned around, 2 more decided to show up, and one of them got stuck 20 feet further up the road.

The 3rd one just needed help getting pulled back onto the road getting turned around.

If I hadn't had tire chains, I wouldn't have made it. Wrangler MTs are not the best snow tire.

No pictures of the actual recovery, as I was a little busy, but here are some other pics

e7cf5887df070e5936f24af3b45ae3b1af1df909-5.jpg

You can just make out Mt St Helens in the background. Sky only cleared up for a little bit, so it was good timing.
a14206fd6681304dd178e1ae35f93d0c12ac3d26-4.jpg

a14206fd6681304dd178e1ae35f93d0c12ac3d26-5.jpg

e7cf5887df070e5936f24af3b45ae3b1af1df909-8.jpg
a14206fd6681304dd178e1ae35f93d0c12ac3d26-1.jpg

nearby parking area earlier in the day, same spot I took some pictures in the spring.
95318ef272b70f006f389a75cbcf7c3f3dea2a92-2.jpg

Downside of the day is I broke the winch I just bought a few months ago. Too much cable spooled at one end, and broke the housing. Hopefully they can sell me just a housing for that end, otherwise I'll have to find a welding shop to fix it for me.

Attachments

kungflu72

Went and helped rescue a pickup that got itself stuck up on logging roads.

Then as we were just getting it turned around, 2 more decided to show up, and one of them got stuck 20 feet further up the road.

The 3rd one just needed help getting pulled back onto the road getting turned around.

If I hadn't had tire chains, I wouldn't have made it. Wrangler MTs are not the best snow tire.

No pictures of the actual recovery, as I was a little busy, but here are some other pics

View attachment 854390

You can just make out Mt St Helens in the background. Sky only cleared up for a little bit, so it was good timing.
View attachment 854391

View attachment 854392

View attachment 854394
View attachment 854395

nearby parking area earlier in the day, same spot I took some pictures in the spring.
View attachment 854393

Downside of the day is I broke the winch I just bought a few months ago. Too much cable spooled at one end, and broke the housing. Hopefully they can sell me just a housing for that end, otherwise I'll have to find a welding shop to fix it for me.
Wow! That is worth the drive for the view! Gorgeous country up there. What winch are you running? Hopefully not the hydraulic Mile Marker. They are getting hard to find.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! That is worth the drive for the view! Gorgeous country up there. What winch are you running? Hopefully not the hydraulic Mile Marker. They are getting hard to find.
the SEC12 24V
I plan to replace the steel cable with synthetic rope, and shorten it by 20 or more feet, and just keep an extension in the rig if I need it.
I sent MileMarker an email a couple days ago, but they might be shut down for the week for holiday. If nothing else it's just the 4 holes on the corners, so any competent welding/machine shop should have no trouble fixing it.

Ajax MD

I got to use H-L today.

We got about 10" of heavy, wet snow in mid/southern MD. After clearing the drive and walkways we took the HMMWV out because...HMMWV.

We shoveled all the snow on the vehicle, into the back of the vehicle with the snow that had already collected there to add more weight. The truck doesn't do well on plowed roads that have a thin layer of ice/slush but it does well in actual snow if you don't drive like an idiot. My street is old and the pavement is crumbling, getting more narrow each year. I squeezed over to allow a barely-under-control minivan to get past me. Just sitting there waiting, we slipped off the edge, into the drainage ditch. Wife gave me that silent, one word glance: "Idiot." I said "Hrmph" goosed the throttle and that thing climbed out like a gov't mule.

They're good trucks.

dhaumann69166

Put a new set of tires on the Humvee yesterday. While I had the tires off I drained the hubs and filled them with fresh oil. One of the tires I got had water in it so I had to take the rim off and vacuum the water out. Also swapped the wheel out for an old one I had in better condition. The tires had two different styles of run flats/bead lock. My original tire had a two piece set up where the run flat had the back bead lock on it but the outside bead lock was a separate piece of rubber. The new tires have a one piece run flat/bead lock. I was really surprised at how easy the wheels and tires come apart! Did the swap on the floor in my porch. No big tools necessary. Also put in a new set of batteries. Glow plugs work like they should now and turn signals work right!D5812F44-9F87-49F4-9EDC-A1C4C8262278.jpeg2AEA199E-AC28-4BD5-8398-6DE0E1D2C66F.jpeg0ACD5278-7FCB-492F-B1B7-0E150CD3EDDA.jpeg595B7F0F-66D7-42F4-A342-F5BC6C1A6034.jpeg5AB418FB-B5E7-431D-ACB9-0584AADBEA69.jpeg

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was driving home tonight and above a certain RPM the oil gauge just started jumping erratically towards max.
Rather than randomly start a new thread, I did a search and found this is a common occurrence if there is an issue with a wiring connection, though potentially it could be the gauge or sender (both are about a year old as they read really low when I bought the truck)

So looks like tomorrow I get to pull the dash and doghouse and check wire connections. If I don't fix it by wiggling wires and unplugging/replugging, I'll put my mechanical oil gauge on it to see.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was driving home tonight and above a certain RPM the oil gauge just started jumping erratically towards max.
Rather than randomly start a new thread, I did a search and found this is a common occurrence if there is an issue with a wiring connection, though potentially it could be the gauge or sender (both are about a year old as they read really low when I bought the truck)

So looks like tomorrow I get to pull the dash and doghouse and check wire connections. If I don't fix it by wiggling wires and unplugging/replugging, I'll put my mechanical oil gauge on it to see.
Oil pressure to max is probably not as scary as low oil pressure. Hope you find it. I’m glad I haven’t had those issues yet because I’m not good with wiring issues. I’m a parts changer and I leave wiring to the professionals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks