• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Crapgame

Well finally mounted the new GT Cepek tires on the M1152A1. Took her for a spin, which is more-or-less the first time she's been out. The tires that came from the auction put new meaning to the term "bald" and I couldn't risk them on the snow.

It's a beautiful truck and I love it - BUT wow the driver's seat is cramped compared to my 1165. Not ideal for a 6'4" guy.
There was an alteration done to some of the SOCOM GMV M1025A2 trucks, the horizontal B Pillar was trimmed then a milled or stamped aluminum piece was welded in place, in order to give the Operator more leg room when using the SOCOM-unique IED resistant seats:

Attachments

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was an alteration done to some of the SOCOM GMV M1025A2 trucks, the horizontal B Pillar was trimmed then a milled or stamped aluminum piece was welded in place, in order to give the Operator more leg room when using the SOCOM-unique IED resistant seats:
that’s the same MOD done to 92-93 H1’s….

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Murphy was at work last week and I didn't make much progress. Pulled the NOS cooler out of the packaging and the ports on each side had been crushed (not sure if it was shipping or storage). I hate having a task planned out and then having something unexpected happen. Cudos to the vendor (SECO) for replacing with another NOS one. I now have the "new" new one mounted in place and will hopefully have it hooked up this coming week.

IMG_1011.JPG IMG_1013.JPG IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1052.JPG

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was out driving some trails with friends.
We stopped for lunch, then afterwards my truck showed the glow plugs, but everything went dead when I tried to crank it. No electrical anything working.
Pulled the seat to get to the batteries, and the clamp on the ground side of the batteries had popped off. Was a little melted lead from the clamp on top of the battery, but not a lot. Fortunately the battery terminals were fine since they are brass and not lead.
Put the terminal clamp back on, tightened it down, and truck started and ran normally. I got lucky.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished hooking up the oil, power steering and transmission lines, along with the other miscellaneous brackets to the cooler. While up to my elbows, I decided to replace the transmission pan with one that had a drain plug. Followed the TM and was nervous about making a mess. Took it slow, draining initially from the rear, and ended up not making a mess. Bright shiny new trans pan to go with the new OEM cooler. The old fluid and pan magnet didn't look too bad (hope that sludge is normal). 01/31 Update: Was about to refill the trans fluid with Dex VI as per the TM -10 when I noticed the stamping on the dipstick (see last pic). What the heck! So I topped it off as planned.

IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1070.jpg IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1083.jpg

Last edited:

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished hooking up the oil, power steering and transmission lines, along with the other miscellaneous brackets to the cooler. While up to my elbows, I decided to replace the transmission pan with one that had a drain plug. Followed the TM and was nervous about making a mess. Took it slow, draining initially from the rear, and ended up not making a mess. Bright shiny new trans pan to go with the new OEM cooler. The old fluid and pan magnet didn't look too bad (hope that sludge is normal). 01/31 Update: Was about to refill the trans fluid with Dex VI as per the TM -10 when I noticed the stamping on the dipstick (see last pic). What the heck! So I topped it off as planned.

View attachment 889895 View attachment 889896 View attachment 889897 View attachment 889898 View attachment 890006
Probably stamped on there because that was the fluid of the time when built... I rebuilt mine and used DEX VI.. 1000 miles and no issues..

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at half a tank so after work I drove over to Bangor base and filled up at the diesel pump there. Nearby is a short set of trails so I headed over to play around a bit. There's one stretch of short uphill that's deeply rutted and I was surprised the HMMWV stopped, like stopped forward motion altogether.

I wasn't high centered, the tires were spinning, but it didn't want to go. Perfect, now I can try the brake/throttle mod thing out. It took some practice but I finally figured it out. The learning curve was because I wasn't aware of how much brake and how much throttle - so I was surprised at how much I had to push on the brake pedal and how much throttle I had to use to overcome it. Seems abusive but I guess not. Nevertheless, it worked very well once I figured it out.

This is my jeep on the trail (no pics of the HMMWV this time since I was alone). It has electronic fully locking diffs front and rear, and just claws up thru it without spinning a tire, so the HMMWV was definitely a different experience.

HC3.png

EDIT to add:

In the old Hummer video at the 3:10 mark it discusses brake/throttle mod, and the video shows exactly what was happening to me on that trail.

1675436234240.png

Last edited:

Caactus

449B1E65-11B6-466F-B81B-04DA863B09BA.jpeg
FINALLY bringing it in to get tires balanced. Hasn’t been bad at low speeds but has had a bit of a speed wooble above 45ish. Fingers crossed this is the issue. And yes, I reinstalled and am running run flats on the new tires from last summer based on recommendation that if spousal unit gets a flat on the highway, they’ll get her down to the next exit and into a parking lot.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FINALLY bringing it in to get tires balanced. Hasn’t been bad at low speeds but has had a bit of a speed wooble above 45ish. Fingers crossed this is the issue. And yes, I reinstalled and am running run flats on the new tires from last summer based on recommendation that if spousal unit gets a flat on the highway, they’ll get her down to the next exit and into a parking lot.
If it makes you both feel better, then it's best possible choice.

My inserts should be here this week because I don't want the run-flats in the new tires. I've been driving ~43 years and have had one flat tire. Friend and I were doing a speed-run down some farm road outside Travis AFB round 1983 and the right rear disintegrated at about 70MPH. We didn't even notice it until we slowed below 50 (cop passed going the other way), then we thought it was the wind (always windy at Travis) pushing the car around.

Some backstory though. The car was a '71 Maverick I bought off someone's front lawn for $25, and there was no way as a one-stripe airman I was buying new tires for a $25 car. So we'd drive behind the firestone after closing and pick through the used tires and try to find a "good" set of four. The was the worst of the four and we put it on the wrong side, in other words, it was used to going round-&-round in the other direction. It came apart in the inside and outside sidewalls in a spiral pattern. It was a thing of beauty.

Yes, I acknowledge a 3 ton HMMWV is not a Maverick, but the point is I've had one flat in 43 years. 😇

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Posting these pics for those that may be curious how Line-X is applied. Cost in my area is about $10.25 per square foot of coverage, 1/8” thick. Today had a M1114 steel hardtop sprayed. Complete procedure took 3 men x two hours. This hardtop is modified to fit my M1152A1 I’m reconfiguring to M1165A1ish. Will paint before installation.

0274A959-2C31-4840-849F-D6D83AE9C26B.jpeg451BED45-EE66-48C8-AADA-11233B031FC9.jpeg6D9097A8-88DE-4EE1-92DF-1DABB947900D.jpeg7B7289AD-D400-4DC7-ADDA-4431648DA5BE.jpeg81DE282C-24F1-40CC-91B9-273B09A801E7.jpeg5C787B2D-A219-4668-987D-2A0BEFF3A8F9.jpeg

Last edited:

M1165A1

Lined the bed of my M1152A1 with a piece of 3/4 plywood. Took off four of the bolts securing the bed, laid the wood, marked, drilled, and resecured with a combination of 2.5" (back bolts/tie downs) and 3" (front bolts/tie downs) grade 8 bolts and some new tie down anchors I purchased on Amazon.

Now I can use the HMMWV to haul a snowmobile and not worry about the carbides on the snowmobile skis cutting the aluminum bed.

Just waiting for some Caliber brand guides and a traction mat to put on the top of the plywood to help with the docking when it's wet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks