• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

hummer4x4guy

Got the entire body wiring harness out and in one piece without any cutting (except one grounding end for the passenger side taillight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon0249

Everyone has their own experiences, running the gamut from OEM to Swap Meet parts. Warhorse's thoughts notwithstanding, here is my experience.

I found a used 4L80e (4wd version) for $250, had a local reputable shop rebuild it for $1k. Also found an NP241C transfer case for $200, which was a perfect mate to the 4l80e, same side drop as the OEM NP242 but instead of 4Lo/4Hi/4Lok I now have 4Lo/4Hi/2Hi. My local 4wd shop did the swap for $1500. Purchased a Quick 4 TCM for $700 (incredible product and support). So, all-in I'm just under $4k. I've kept the original T-case and Trans shifters, so there's no evidence of the change. In hindsight, I think I'd do my own trans rebuild for the experience and savings, as I've since found that the rebuilder did NOT replace the o-ring on the internal harness connector (which was included in the rebuild kit). Yeah, that's a sore spot for me, can you tell? Just be careful who you allow to work on your baby.

I bought this monster to scratch a 25-year itch, having worked for the parent company of AM General years ago, I "had to have one". I'm not a rabid off-roader, just love taking it hunting, camping, canoeing, to the farm, etc., so for me, drivability is paramount. The addition of overdrive far surpassed my expectations, as I had done all the math on RPMs, tire height, speed, etc. I also had not considered the torque converter lockout feature I got with the 4L80e. So if the 25% reduction in engine speed wasn't enough, I can feel the additional 5-8% gain when the TCC locks. Total sweetness. For folks that have a cadence of life that just isn't sated by 52mph, this is the best possible mod package I can recommend. Look forward to cruising at 65+. Who knows, you may actually pass someone. :)

sully199

The Black Bat

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
I initially was building this for my son, who will be a senior in HS next year, but life sometimes bends you over without any lube, and goes in dry. My 11 yr old ended up with a horrible neurological condition called CRPS, so my senior will be still skating to HS, and the Black Bat, will be sold eventually to someone here in South Florida, to cover his medical bills. I just got the doors back, had the clear plastic replaced with tinted plastic. Customized the red dot AC System, must have here in South Florida. Had the bottom undercoated, salt air is a mother! My 11 year old, is responsible for naming the trucks, he named my daily driver "Mobil Man Cave"
I will load more pix of some of the other things I have done.

Another Ahab

In hindsight, I think I'd do my own trans rebuild for the experience and savings, as I've since found that the rebuilder did NOT replace the o-ring on the internal harness connector (which was included in the rebuild kit). Yeah, that's a sore spot for me, can you tell? Just be careful who you allow to work on your baby.
It absolutely stinks when you pay somebody to do things right, and discover that they didn't.

How did you find out it wasn't replaced (I mean once it was all closed up and all)?

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the transmission and transaxle ATF last evening. The old fluid looked brand new and smelled lovely (for Dexron), which made me happy considering I'm not cure my "new" 1987 HMMWV has seen any maintenance this decade.
What made me sad was breaking one of the 13 trans pan bolts immediately (it must have been cracked already). Oddly, the others came out too easily, very little torque. It wasn't leaking though.
Then to make me more sad, I broke the screw extractor off flush... So, I'll be burring on that the next few days until I can get the broken end out, and then try something else. The first thing I intend to try, besides hitting it with penetrant often to try to encourage it, is a decent quality extractor! Just bought a new Irwin set on Amazon. The old one is from Harbor Freight (Pittsburg), and has been more trouble than not. I may just throw the rest of the kit out, to spare myself this again.
Next up: differentials and then hubs. Then I plan to drive the snot out of it.

Bulldogger

sully199

The Black Bat 2

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
so I mounted the condenser, on the radiator, I ordered a condenser to the size I wanted, that fit like a baby swaddled to its mother bosom. I am here in South Florida and the single fan has been plenty to keep her cold. I took the fan out of the red dot kit. This is the 6th one I have mounted in the last year, There is plenty of room for the condenser and the fan to fit under the hood with out more customization.

sully199

Black Bat 3

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
these were a minor pain in the assets, but they are awesome to sit in. I remover the part of the blast plate on the bottom, to lighten them some, so they can be moved. the hmmwv has the new car smell in it now..

Another Ahab

Then to make me more sad, I broke the screw extractor off flush... So, I'll be burring on that the next few days until I can get the broken end out, and then try something else. The first thing I intend to try, besides hitting it with penetrant often to try to encourage it, is a decent quality extractor! Just bought a new Irwin set on Amazon. The old one is from Harbor Freight (Pittsburg), and has been more trouble than not. I may just throw the rest of the kit out, to spare myself this again.

Bulldogger
You're talking the spiral design aren't you?

I'm guessing that they're about the best, and Irwin is usually a safe bet (but things change).

This kind?

extract.jpg

Jon0249

Front cross bar support brackets

On a recent canoeing trip in one of Texas' swollen rivers, I threw the canoe on top, using a t-bar support in back, and pool noodle sections in front. Not so good - already saw a little wear in the soft top fabric. The current pool of alternatives are overkill, in my opinion. Nothing I will be carrying justifies the heavy duty roll bars that are out there, so I fabbed a couple of brackets to hold a cross bar support, which will double as a light bar support. Plenty of support for us regular guys...

Couldn't resist cleaning up the bumpers and wipers.

Rack bracket4.jpgRack bracket3.jpgRack bracket 1.jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're talking the spiral design aren't you?

I'm guessing that they're about the best, and Irwin is usually a safe bet (but things change).

This kind?

View attachment 625857
The ones I bought include left-handed drill bits and a carry case, but yes, spiral fluted extractors. I also decided to buy a 5 pack of straight sided ones, also Irwin, my theory being they might not crack so readily. Some reviews claim that they don't risk expanding the material being attacked as much, and extract more smoothly. I'm not sure I buy the argument, but I did buy the extractors ;-)

I'll post an update when I get a chance to try again.

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a recent canoeing trip in one of Texas' swollen rivers, I threw the canoe on top, using a t-bar support in back, and pool noodle sections in front. Not so good - already saw a little wear in the soft top fabric. The current pool of alternatives are overkill, in my opinion. Nothing I will be carrying justifies the heavy duty roll bars that are out there, so I fabbed a couple of brackets to hold a cross bar support, which will double as a light bar support. Plenty of support for us regular guys...

Couldn't resist cleaning up the bumpers and wipers.

View attachment 625858View attachment 625859View attachment 625860
Looks like a well-used and happy HMMWV there. Won't the new brackets hit the hood if the windscreen is folded down? Probably doesn't matter, admittedly.

BDGR

hummer4x4guy

Got my brand new deal of the month heater assembly installed $175 NEW.
BuT now I can't find the hose section from the blower to the diverter :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what I didn't mention after I posted the video of taking the M998 to the Hillman MudFest was that I managed to break the u-joint for the front driveshaft on the transfer case... When that went, the axle took out the t-case shift linkage and put a new permanent drain in the t-case.

tcase.jpg

So if anyone has a 218 t-case around, please PM me. Thanks!

I wasn't alone this weekend in having mechanical failures going through that mud. I saw two transmissions get smoked and saw four trucks loose their rear driveshafts on Sunday. There were countless other trucks that were disabled in the mud with electrical issues or blown motors.

Good times!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks