• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Another Ahab

So what I didn't mention after I posted the video of taking the M998 to the Hillman MudFest was that I managed to break the u-joint for the front driveshaft on the transfer case... When that went, the axle took out the t-case shift linkage and put a new permanent drain in the t-case.

I wasn't alone this weekend in having mechanical failures going through that mud. I saw two transmissions get smoked and saw four trucks loose their rear driveshafts on Sunday. There were countless other trucks that were disabled in the mud with electrical issues or blown motors.

Good times!
"Good times!"

That's pretty funny.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what I didn't mention after I posted the video of taking the M998 to the Hillman MudFest was that I managed to break the u-joint for the front driveshaft on the transfer case... When that went, the axle took out the t-case shift linkage and put a new permanent drain in the t-case.

View attachment 625880

So if anyone has a 218 t-case around, please PM me. Thanks!

I wasn't alone this weekend in having mechanical failures going through that mud. I saw two transmissions get smoked and saw four trucks loose their rear driveshafts on Sunday. There were countless other trucks that were disabled in the mud with electrical issues or blown motors.

Good times!

I have a few 218's in the shop...do you just want the case or the entire assy? These would pay require opening and resealing the case and new seals. Can't vouch for the cooler loop either.

orgnal

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drained and filled the differentials. Drove back and forth in each gear selection to be sure of trans fluid level and topped off.
Installed a battery cut off switch.
Noticed the coolant temperature got to nearly 220. But I already planned to drain and fill the coolant system and replace the thermostat so that is close to next.
After the coolant system I probably won't be able to find any more excuses to not remove the wheels and open and inspect the hubs.
Bulldogger

hummer4x4guy

Drained and filled the differentials. Drove back and forth in each gear selection to be sure of trans fluid level and topped off.
Installed a battery cut off switch.
Noticed the coolant temperature got to nearly 220. But I already planned to drain and fill the coolant system and replace the thermostat so that is close to next.
After the coolant system I probably won't be able to find any more excuses to not remove the wheels and open and inspect the hubs.
Bulldogger
Have you looked into www.evanscoolant.com. Switching my truck over to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infidel got me

hawt hawt hawt

The evans fluid does look like a good deal, but I would think that a screw on coolant filter kit

would get you more bang for buck. We install these on all the diesels that we own. You wont

believe the crud that the filter will catch. A cheap investment, can be had on e-pay for under

a hundred bucks.2cents

hummer4x4guy

I'm switching not because it keeps the coolant cooler but because of the other factors their coolant offers. It was only a suggestion.

hummer4x4guy

The evans fluid does look like a good deal, but I would think that a screw on coolant filter kit

would get you more bang for buck. We install these on all the diesels that we own. You wont

believe the crud that the filter will catch. A cheap investment, can be had on e-pay for under

a hundred bucks.2cents
Do you have a particular filter you use on the humvees specifically?

sully199

The seats look amazing. What seats are these and where did you buy them?

McReddy
Global Seating LLC, Vehicular Seats, They are for the MRAP, they are great. I removed the blast proof metal off the bottom from all 4 seats, they were 30 pounds each. They are still heavy, but I am able to move them forward to get to the batteries and storage in the back.

infidel got me

hawt hawt hawt

Do you have a particular filter you use on the humvees specifically?

It is a wix coolant filter. I was not trying to knock your recommendation of using the evans coolant-- I was just mentioning the added protection of a coolant system filter. Hope there was no misunderstanding. The kit is actually for 6.0 Ford trucks, but will adapt to almost any vehicle.

Last edited:

hummer4x4guy

No I have no issues with the suggestion of a filter since Evans isn't designed to filter its self I like the idea. But is it like an online filter?

hummer4x4guy

It's my opinion that with the cost of keeping a truck/Humvee for now going on 15 years I have no problems using the best for the truck for the next 15 and if people would look into it I think they will see the benefits. But if not it's not a problem. I just wanted to share with others Incase some haven't heard about it. :)

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drained and flushed the coolant system. Only got about 2.5 gallons of coolant out of it, which explains what I thought were high temps. She was running >220 and climbing when I shut her down during driveway ops after the drain and fill of transmission, transaxle and differentials last week. I've not taken her anywhere but the driveway yet, pending finishing the entire LO and other system checks. Thermostat looked good, but got replaced anyway along with its gasket. Took FOREVER to get the old gasket material off. Saw some deposits around the top hose connection next to the thermostat housing. I suspect she was leaking by there. I cleaned the fitting well and it is long enough to allow me to use two hose clamps to ensure tight fit.

Coolant hoses aren't great so will get generic fit curved hoses from Advance Auto this week and cut to fit. Then refill her with fleet diesel coolant and water 50/50.

Should be fine after that. I'm glad Advance had the Hummer H1 thermostat in stock along with gasket. I did have to drive to one a few miles farther away than my local store, but here in NOVA there are so many shops that having to drive to another one only means 7-8 miles.

So far so good.

Bulldogger

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fired up the new GEP 6.5 motor with 4L80E factory conversion yesterday....she runs like a raped ape and shifts beutiful.
This customer will be a happy camper...at least till he gets the bill anyway...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks