• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bled the injectors. Can't say for sure that any were experiencing air blockage, but now I'm certain and that helps me feel better. We'll see how she runs tomorrow morning after cold startup.
Also continued straightening oil cooler fins, about halfway done now.
Bulldogger

Update: seemed to run a little better, and I couldn't get it to stall on leaving this morning and it didn't warm up overly long. Might have licked it! Will still double check IP timing marks when I'm back in tonight straightening fins...

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No guns in this post

Finished the oil cooler fins. Took three evenings and a lot of hunching over.

Glad to be done.

Bulldogger

IMG_2721[1].jpgIMG_2723[1].jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! I did NOT enjoy doing it, but am glad I stuck with it since it should help the old girl stay cool.

Lots of little things to do left. She seems to be running OK now, and accelerates better. The power steering pump is leaking and I think the hissing noise I hear when in the cab is from the pump. I thought maybe the air filter restriction gauge was the source, but removed it and confirmed it is fine and works correctly, and the hose to the air filter plenum is also sound. I don't see any other potential vacuum leaks in the cab or instrument cluster, so I'm focused on the visibly leaking pump as the likely source. Either way I have to repair it.

I may start wire wheeling rusty bolt heads and rivets soon.

Bulldogger

[Update: Some use of the search tool showed a post from Patracy about the Cadillac valve being a source of hissing. I will investigate this.]

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hissing noise was indeed the Cadillac valve, whatever that is. I loosened the hose clamp and tucked a large folded up rubber band under it and tightened it back down. Noise dissipated over the drive to work.
Thanks Patracy!

Bulldogger

CGFFEMT

Replaced a swollen glow plug, fortunately I was able to get it before it was too far gone. Helps to reinforce the need to regularly check the resistance on the glow plugs though.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It happened. Even more happened than the pics, but I violated a rule by posting it. Didn't make the rule, but I have to abide by them.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a second offset antenna mount on......Thanks SWAMP DONKEY!!!!!! You rock. Next up, put the grounding kit on that everyone says is a good thing. Then radio tray, RT524 and R332 and cables go in. Need to find a few more cables after that and a vic1 system goes in.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks