• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Davetheplumber

"Moose"
I did a lot of research on other engines. Considering fuel cost don't really play a part and the price of a 454 (free if I scrap the RV it came out of) and future repairs... It all came down to a 350 or 454 gasser. There was no way I was going threw all this work and then be under powered. So it came down to the 454.

I am pulling all wiring and starting over with new. All 12V. There never will be a reason for me to need 24V. It was a big reason to not use at 6.5 or 6.2 again. I spent so much money repairing the 6.2 in the past I could have put the 454 in and paid someone to do it. All the issues I ever had with that darn diesel was always an electrical thing one way or another. HATE 24V systems. Also I can re-ground everything the way the Military should've in the first place.

Thread post is at www.nwhmmwv.com under the "FORUM" tab

Weller

Got her first washing since coming home. Cleaned out the mud and debris under back seats and prepped for modifications. Thinking about a power inverter mounted under rear seat, looked like there were electronics in there previously.
20160820_121034.jpg 20160820_133859.jpg

avlon01

Converted my troop carrier to a four door setup with 3 point seat belts all around. I still need the cargo cover, but am looking for a three color woodland one.

At one point mine had the three point seat belt conversion done since the reinforcement panels were already installed under the wheelhouses. Made the job super easy.

2016-08-21 15.53.59.jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed all the belts. Took a while due to cramped quarters and the new steering pump belts took no little bit of stretching to get on. Lots of small scratches on my arms. I forgot how "fun" close quarters belt replacements can be.

I had intended to replace the steering pump with a rebuilt one from NAPA, but the old pump despite being grimy hadn't visibly lost much ATF from the reservoir, so if it's not leaking that bad I will put off that deep dive of a job.

Next up is the kickdown function on the trans not working.

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does mud mean that it is a place that can get wet? Power inverters hate wet.
That's a good point there. I have mud in my seat compartments too. If I was going to install an inverter I might put it inside something at least up to the level of the seat pan (to allow some ventilation).

I've been keeping an eye out for some big plastic boxes to put my tools and stuff in for this same reason.

A battery box would work, but those cost money!

Bulldogger

Weller

Continued cleaning out the grime, removed the batteries and cleaned the battery box, will have to replace fairly soon.

20160820_090408.jpg 20160820_163415.jpg

Can someone tell me if a fire extinguisher goes here (see above photo)? Thought it would also be good location for a spare 24V NATO jumper cable.

Batteries were Exide 6TMF, one was showing only 3 volts on arrival, got them up to 13 volts each but I've kept a 24v solar charger on them all week.

20160820_163436.jpg 20160820_163407.jpg

teteacher101

Just got done with the following, took about 3 weeks to do everything between waiting for parts an going on a little family vacation.

-KDS smart start box and TSU
-Fan Temp Sensor
-New rad hoses an coolant flush
-Coolant heater installed in lower hose
-Ground wire harness
-LED headlights an bucket assembly
-Extra ground wire from frame to headlight ground wire
-Rubber coupler around cadillac valve
-Turn signal switch
-Turn signal relay
-One marker light
-Oil an filter change
-New fuel filter an rubber fuel lines
-Turned up injection pump 1/8 of a turn
-New glow plugs
-Valve cover gaskets
-Flipped rear tires around to change the wear pattern an installed new wheel o-rings
-Washer pump
-Temporarily modified the alt bracket due to the military breaking a bolt off inside the mount
-Center seat install for the kiddos
-Buffed sun baked crusty gray plastic off the outside of the mirrors an adjusted to where a person can almost see out of them now
-New fuel return lines between the injectors
-Misc nut an bolt cleaning, removal, installing, etc., here an there.

More work planned before the snow comes-hopefully!

Davetheplumber

"Moose"
And everyone asked why I didn't like the old diesel and swapped it for a chevy 454 gasser. Answer I did about the same thing as the list above and still had issues that were never going to end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks