• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

fllaw1

Hardest thing is reaching up from underneath holding the nut (4), while my wife ratcheted the bolt out (4 outer bolts only) and I took my time pulling apart the three black boots (connections) to not tear or rip the wiring. Advance auto 4 new black bolts & nuts and swap the two linkages to the trans and your in business. The shifter had a little bag zip tied to it that had new attachments, pins etc for the linkage. photo is my old one.

Shifter.jpg

Last edited:

NormB

Went out to hook up a feed line for a switch box (backups, interior lighting, fogs, cell phone charger) I'm puttering around with and found THIS:

hmmwv battery caps.jpg
Looks like Santa's little elves have been decorating.

got the batteries in about a week ago, didn't get the time to really finish up until today. I really wanted to use RED for the cap centers, but couldn't find anything around the house like that. My wife goes through about two jars of peanut butter a week and it turns out the caps are JUST about small enough to fit inside the military terminal protectors. Just took them to a belt sander and they pop right in.

I'll keep looking for red though. :-(

Norm
'92 M998

911joeblow

Hardest thing is reaching up from underneath holding the nut (4), while my wife ratcheted the bolt out (4 outer bolts only) and I took my time pulling apart the three black boots (connections) to not tear or rip the wiring. Advance auto 4 new black bolts & nuts and swap the two linkages to the trans and your in business. The shifter had a little bag zip tied to it that had new attachments, pins etc for the linkage. photo is my old one.

View attachment 655622
I guess grunts arw cheaper than nutserts. I will be rectifying that in lots of places. Shifter is one. Not going to do it before I make the final 5spd vs 6spd decision.

avlon01

Installed a 4 man VIC-1 intercom system. Expensive, but at least people can have a conversation without yelling at each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Videris

Installed a 4 man top. Had to fab a few things but came out pretty good I think. Took me 4 plus hours. It's a one man job but would have been easier with two for sure. Expensive as **** too.IMG_0026.jpg

avlon01

What did you have to fab? I bought a 4 man kit and it came with everything I needed.

You are right though, one person can install it, but it's MUCH easier with two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Videris

It did come with everything but my attachment points were either missing or broken so I had to drill through original attachment points and use bolts at windshield and center pillar. Mine didn't have a top on it for years because attachment points were nuked so I improvised and got it done. Fits like a glove now

Videris

C pillar attachment points were all sorts of bad too. Not from C pillar just hmmwv body. I don't think it ever had a 4 man top on it. Maybe a 2 man but whatever. It's got a 4 man now. Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do about not having a center console. I need another option other than underneath the rear seat. Haha

Stevepsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the newer style Goodyear Kevlar walled radials on 24 bolt rims. Had them balanced and they ride much better than the other unbalanced Goodyears that came on my truck. Also got the bf Goodrich spare I picked up loaded on the carrier. I like the way the pintle extension sits under the tire and exposes the hitch. Will make it easier to hook my 1102 trailer.
IMG_1365.jpgIMG_1362.jpg

Stevepsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the mudflaps from de-mil facility in Wilmington NC. I didn't think I would like them, but once I got them on I really liked the look.

locogringo

First time posting on here so not everything done has been "lately".

Built rear 2" receiver hitch:

Started with these 2 guys
8jy7kbNl.jpg
roxk36Ol.jpg
Ended up with this (Added black paint not pictured)
yyGuePKl.jpg
2wTXQ38l.jpg

Added LED Headlights. Used these https://www.auxbeam.com/7-inch-driving-light/70021806 by AuxBeam as an alternative to Trucklites. Took a little modifications to the headlight bucket ring:
W4zna3wl.jpg
hS06ACvl.jpg
But they ended up fitting good after the modifications, still with protective wrap on them:
MV0QzmTl.jpg
OfAinQTl.jpg

I know this last one may be controversial so don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger, owner wanted this done. Bedliner the entire truck. You can also see the MRAP seats that were installed.
Jry1BJCl.jpg
dc8dhMCl.jpg
E8gPJDbl.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks