• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

infidel got me

I did remember reading that but I think the rubber and diesel fuel didn't get along??? I don't really see how it would eat the plug up as the fuel lines are rubber. Did anyone have luck using these?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did remember reading that but I think the rubber and diesel fuel didn't get along??? I don't really see how it would eat the plug up as the fuel lines are rubber. Did anyone have luck using these?
I'm one of the ones who posted that product link and have had no trouble with mine since about April
Bulldogger

bjsmith

Replaced cut up rear curtain from previous owners a/c install with sheet of aluminum and re mounted condenser different so I can now install cargo cover if I want to. Still have to paint condenser.

Attachments

Last edited:

Videris

Replaced cut up rear curtain from previous owners a/c install with sheet of aluminum and re mounted condenser different so I can now install cargo cover if I want to. Still have to paint condenser.
Is it possible to mount condenser lower or would it not function properly?

NormB

Replaced steering column. Tied up some wiring, installed a charging port.

Why? I'd been told there WAS no "slotted tab" design on these steering colums, but that's what's in mine. Was. Broken. Broken aluminum insert, broken "hook" on the tab. I actually came across a picture of this style yesterday, seems like it was replaced VERY early on - mine was refurb'd in 1996 at Ft. Lewis, looks like they missed some details. Had the 1/4" thick plate/clamp pieces though.

So I'd ordered the thing, finally got a nice day and some time to replace it with a newest, bested, latest greatest iteration of some mechanical engineer's joke of a mounting solution. Also installed self-canceling turn signal unit and Anderson power pole connector just above the slave port so's I can plug in a solargizer or other charger during down time. Fun, seriously. Only cut the back of my hand once doing it.

While I was underneath the dash, I also reattached the wiring harness to the frame above the brake light switch with the clamp that was designed to do this. It had worn through and was showing several red wires, one of which was just starting to show copper. Rubbing against ground. You'd think maybe someone would've followed a TM or two 11 years ago. Did some tricks with teflon tape, silicone and silicone tape and put that thing back where it belonged. That and two other edel-type clamps holding other miscellaneous wiring also just hanging loose.

I replaced the glowplugs yesterday - only took about 3 hours 'cause ONE of them was bent (wrote about that in another thread dealing with hard starting). Fires right up now.

Going for a little ride here in a few minutes with my favorite daughter after she gets back from a run (like I said, it's been a nice day).

Now to replace that heater fan, after draining/flushing the cooling system, finish the insulation (fat mat), padding, wooden deck, and on, and on... not complaining, I like this hobby so far.

Norm

Darwin T

replaced tires and remounted License Plate. had a flat and took the opportunity to replace all 4 tires. pict 5 is a Load Range E tire Hole Punch.

Attachments

NormB

They're my son's. He's been drumming since he was ten. Shoulda got him started 8 years earlier. Keeps him off the streets at night.

NormB

I need this!
Backup lights? these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WE47ZUI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
10 watts each, ALMOST have a control box rigged. It's my NEXT big project. I think. Would be nice to have backup lights, fog, driving light (a two-in-one bar that'll mount on the front bumper: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UESXQ8Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and interior lighting https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JAPPXAI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) not necessarily in that order. Backup wire is routed, adel-clamped/zip tied in place, interior "dome" lights are sited, not wired (that's a little trickier).

Beauty of using LEDs is they have VERY low current draw for VERY high light output; very efficient and relatively cheap (ever price one of those mil-spec interior light boxes?).

humvee light box.jpg

Setup is for interior, fog, flood, backup lights.

The aluminum thing below is a 24:12V converter for the cigarette lighter and USB ports, rest of the box works off native 24V.

Previous owner left a LONG wire connected inside the battery box, fused, that'll take power to the box. Also left wiring harness for radios intact, just cut cleanly, still hot. That took an hour a few weekends ago to pull out. Working on actual arrangement of wires INTO box, holes and grommets and it'll hang off the defroster/heater duct tube just to the right of the instrument cluster, a little left of the radio tray. Got the switch panel from Amazon too, it's for marine/boating use. Been years since I did any aluminum fabricating, missed the outside dimension somehow by 1 panel width each side. I'm not going to redo the thing.

Couple more warm days like we had today and yesterday and I'll get it done. Will post pics.

Norm

Last edited:

infidel got me

His old engine has a rod through the oil pan. On the upside-- at least the engine is not seized! I can turn it over to access the convertor

bolts. Finally. I catch a break. 2017 is starting off right. While I'm talking about 2017--- HAPPY NEW YEAR to all fellow brothers and sisters

Wish everyone health, happiness, and a barn find this year!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks