• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

NormB

Got 3-point seat belts installed in the back. Had started yesterday but couldn't get one reel working - looked up the problem here, found some solutions, works great - then I couldn't get the anchor bolts started. LOOKED like I was going to need something smaller than what came in the kit, it was late, I'd been on my feet most of the day and slept on it.

PAINT! There was SO much CARC sprayed on/over the retainer/nut (one by the seat/on side of truck) bolt wouldn't go in. Little paint remover, chasing threads with an M14 chamber brush, brake tools/picks, got it together now.

Also installed high-back commander seat, looking at drilling a couple more holes to get the seat back to tilt aft a bit. Will be a close-fit with the seat belt reel, but I think judicious use of a rubber mallet may help it along.:?

Still mulling over how I'm going to do the driver's seat. Have sharp chisels, hammer, angle die grinder, just need a block of time to do it. Will probably wait a few months until it's a little warmer - or next weekend, supposed to get close to 60 by Friday.

35 degree weather and rain/ice pellets were a hindrance today, but I had gloves and truck's covered with a tarp which makes it pretty easy to work on.

Onward.

Last edited:

DatGuyC

Still mulling over how I'm going to do the driver's seat. Have sharp chisels, hammer, angle die grinder, just need a block of time to do it. Will probably wait a few months until it's a little warmer - or next weekend, supposed to get close to 60 by Friday.

35 degree weather and rain/ice pellets were a hindrance today, but I had gloves and truck's covered with a tarp which makes it pretty easy to work on.

Onward.
When I did mine it wasn't actually that bad, the rivets they used for the drivers seat base are aluminum and the die grinder with a decently abrasive disk went through them like butter.

Ddk2001

Swapped out a halfshaft, adjusted the brake light switch, and replaced the weatherstripping at the windshield - then took it for a ride to the lake - now that the Northern California rains have subsided for a few days.

Attachments

Last edited:

infidel got me

humvee ignition switch.jpg Added one of these today. Simple install, took about 30 minutes, and cost $ 20 dollars. I did add about 4 inches of wire to original harness---- too snug for my liking. Napa part # ks 6180.

Another Ahab

Swapped out a halfshaft, adjusted the brake light switch, and replaced the weatherstripping at the windshield - then took it for a ride to the lake - now that the Northern California rains have subsided for a few days.
That's a real sweet pic; it's like a calendar shot or something.

Did you run a filter of some kind on that?

art.jpg

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tagged for road use - keyed on/off switch - 2" receiver hitch - Still have to install new buckets, replace 1 front input shaft seal, paint all before the FFC Winter rally in Feb.

NormB

Replaced/repaired wiring for windshield washer pump, replaced hoses, adel clamps, nozzles (from hummerpartsguy, the outrageously expensive ones), trimmed hood/rubber to fit nozzles. I'd replaced/refitted/sealed the tank and new pump several weeks ago while I dithered about how involved replacing the hoses/nozzles was going to be.

It was involved. Basically taking hose from pump over to first nozzle, fitting a "T"

I bought one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/MTC-W0133-1661441-MTC-Washer-T-Connector/dp/B001G6T5B2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484532453&sr=8-1&keywords=windshield+washer+T"

and a matching "L" which created some problems), run hose (Prestone 7/32" 6 foot tube kit, about $4.00 with tax), used these clamps

(https://smile.amazon.com/MTC-W0133-...484532453&sr=8-1&keywords=windshield+washer+T)

through Adel clamps (aluminum and neoprene), then (innocently) put in L-fitting for right-hand nozzle, got in the truck, turned on engine and ran washer.

Water/fluid came out of Driver's nozzle, not Commander's side.

Removed "L" and tried blowing/suction. Took an air compressor nozzle with about 30 psi to get air coming through the thing.

Had old straight-through/no valve "T" and plugged THAT in, replaced "L" (stuck?) now Driver's side is about 75% of flow, Commander's side about 25%.

Odd.

Will remove Commander's side and patch in a straight tube there and see what happens. Spray pattern is nice. Will replace wipers soon.

Went to take a picture and my iPhone decided to run out of battery at that moment.

Before I did all that (took about two hours), I took my daughter for a ride around the neighborhood for about twenty minutes. Kept asking if she wanted to drive it (my son has already). She's afraid. She drives a Toyota Matrix. Never even drove my Tacoma.

Next weekend.

NB

NormB

Put a two can ammo can tray up on top of the rt rear fender.

began measuring for mudflaps - 2" 6061 angle brackets with 1-1/2 in flats to hold 12x18" flaps. Should bolt right up against frame behind wheels.

I'll be sure and post pictures of both.

Wire Fox

got a set of jeep led headlights cut the plugs off and attached the standard mil wires from the old headlights. they are way better than the stock candle lanterns and look cooler. View attachment 662684 View attachment 662685
I too just got some new LED headlights in today. Some nice Trucklite heated units that are pre-wired for the military terminals. Also had my 200A Alt install kit come in, so I'm ready to knock out some serious electrical work this weekend! Also nice was I got confirmation that the order was placed for the fuel/water can straps I needed to get them mounted into the footwells properly. I'm really looking forward to having that setup.

infidel got me

Found out something new today. AM GENERAL designed and built the Humvee around the rear brake lines. Currently replacing the rear brake lines going to each caliper from the union due to rust. What a M@@@@@ F@@@@@! Ok-- I'm done, just thought I'd share that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks