• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Jakob1944

Changed the oil and filter only to discover that the drain plug was finger tight......Also drained some fuel off the filter drain only to discover that the Humvee has JP8 in the fuel tank.....Well it was in the 108 Avn.....I did add a can of SeaFoam to the tank a couple weeks ago, I wonder if that is enough to keep the inj. pump lubricated.....tank is 3/4 plus full....

Last edited:

ryanruck

Are these led? Did you Change the bulbs to 24v or wire them in as is?
I've got the same lights on my truck. Those are the Trucklite LED headlights and it sounds like he did exactly what I did. Bought a set of civi lights, cut the standard connectors off of them, and cut the Packard connectors off of his old halogens to reuse. I used butt splices to install them on the new lights and put adhesive lined heat shrink over everything to seal them up.

They're multivolt so will run on 12v or 24v.

Love mine! Mine are the non-heated ones but I drove my truck during the one icing weather event we've had in my area and didn't have any ice buildup. What you see in the pic is only water.

IMG_2540.jpg IMG_2542.jpg IMG_2541.jpg

jdknech

I've got the same lights on my truck. Those are the Trucklite LED headlights and it sounds like he did exactly what I did. Bought a set of civi lights, cut the standard connectors off of them, and cut the Packard connectors off of his old halogens to reuse. I used butt splices to install them on the new lights and put adhesive lined heat shrink over everything to seal them up.

They're multivolt so will run on 12v or 24v.

Love mine! Mine are the non-heated ones but I drove my truck during the one icing weather event we've had in my area and didn't have any ice buildup. What you see in the pic is only water.

View attachment 662840 View attachment 662841 View attachment 662842
Great info!!! Much cheaper then the military ones, and probably the same or better quality

ryanruck

Great info!!! Much cheaper then the military ones, and probably the same or better quality
No problem! Trucklite does make a military version with the Packard connectors but I don't think there's really any other difference. We were discussing them here.

There are definitely a lot of LED headlight options! A buddy of mine and fellow SS member just scored a set of Dialight headlights stupid cheap off eBay (way cheaper than the $325 I paid for my lights and so cheap I'm extremely jealous! :mrgreen:), plus they're even heated. Haven't seen them in action yet though.

Last edited:

infidel got me

brake lines.jpgbrake lines1.jpgbrake lines2.jpg brake lines2.jpgAs promised-- 1st picture is the three new lines ordered from kascar. The second pic. is of the clips that hold the axle vent line to the brake line. The third pic. is of the rusty, leaking old lines. Not that bad of a job, just tight quarters and tedious. I did win !

NormB

Put in a brand-new S3 PCB and sender.

Another HMMWV ten minute project that turned into over an hour as one of the riv-nuts came loose instead of the bolt. I had to pull out the dremel tool with cutting discs and take the bolt head off in three pieces. Made sure all connections had some Deoxit on them, buttoned it all up and MAN did this thing start up fast. Faster than when I just replaced the glowplugs two weekends ago. Nearly the same temperature out today as it was then, and no bouncy-bouncy from the ammeter (charging), but the fuel level took a while to come up. What also impressed me was how much smoother the beast seemed to run. None of the usual clacketa-clacketa at start.

Then I replaced the twist locks/cables on the rear seat backs after cleaning the backs a bit and swapping out seat padding from front to rear (strangely enough the front/commander seat pads were in much better condition).

Also rewired my battery cutoff switch, reversed leads as one of them was JUST long enough to touch the top of the battery hold-down and close the circuit - I figured this out BEFORE starting with the PCB.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it count if I just bought a 1025 sight unseen and am waiting for it to be shipped?

Ordered locking door handles and ignition only to be told by seller that shipment will be delayed due to unavailability of stock. :/

Made space for the thing in my yard at work, and insured it prior to shipping to make sure she is covered.

Now I get to wait and see if I bought a diamond in the rough or a lemon.

Happy to find this site, and I apologize in advance for the hundreds of questions I will be asking.

Best.

TOBASH

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Does it count if I just bought a 1025 site unseen and am waiting for it to be shipped?
TOBASH
Welcome from here in Virginia, TOBASH.

You're in the right spot for your questions. But a good first step is scanning all the threads in the HMMWV forum, and then reading all the posts in those threads that might apply to you. It's kind of a school around here, and the teachers appreciate it if you do your homework. :mrgreen:

NormB

Got the dash panel LED upgrade done and, while I was at it, installed the poosh-button lightswitch.

Took a little time to ensure I had as good a ground as I could get using a 1/4-20 bolt through the dash - I'd already installed the Kascar grounding kit, testing my ground out with a test light to the hot side of the battery and then hooked up the switch.

I'd taken the box up to a local hardware store and couldn't for the life of me figure out the threat pitch. Tried all kinds of 10-24, 10-32, M6 and others, even the stock bolts wouldn't fit, so what the heck, I took a 10-24 tap to it and used some black oxide panhead screws to hold it in place. Now I need to replace all the panhead screws on the dash. :?

It'll take a bit of getting used to but I like it.

I'm young enough I appreciate technology but old enough that I'm getting to resent it.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have from the seller. It is a small image. When I receive her I will post more.

HMMVV Turtleback.jpg

Stonewall

20170123_152211.jpg20170123_152157.jpg20170123_152149.jpg

Added these little 1/4-20 tapped inserts to the back side of the plywood in the middle of the cab. Now I have a great universal way to mount just about anything to it, without putting in screws or brackets. I also sprayed just the plywood with raptor liner. Looks nicer than the painted plywood.

jake-cutter

Well, I think I killed mine today. Went for a short drive after doing some cosmetic work and when I turned it off I could hear liquid hitting the drive way. From the pics below you can see oil with antifreeze pouring out of the flywheel cover. Same color on the dipstick. Now it won't start, starter turns and you can just hear it spinning.

~

~

Attachments

orgnal

Well, I think I killed mine today. Went for a short drive after doing some cosmetic work and when I turned it off I could hear liquid hitting the drive way. From the pics below you can see oil with antifreeze pouring out of the flywheel cover. Same color on the dipstick. Now it won't start, starter turns and you can just hear it spinning.

~

~
Sorry to hear that

McReddy

jdknech

~

~
Most likely a head gasket, you MIGHT get away with replacing the gaskets and flushing the engine.. but most likely it wiped out the bearings.. fortunately 6.2's are a easy engine to work on, as long as your rings can be saved, the rest of the parts are cheap, the rings are around $400 for the set though

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks