• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Another Ahab

View attachment 663437

Added these little 1/4-20 tapped inserts to the back side of the plywood in the middle of the cab. Now I have a great universal way to mount just about anything to it, without putting in screws or brackets. I also sprayed just the plywood with raptor liner. Looks nicer than the painted plywood.
I did some work as a theater carpenter years ago (non-union). We called those things "tee-nuts". They are real handy for quick assembly/disassembly (things like theater sets and all).

Videris

Well, I think I killed mine today. Went for a short drive after doing some cosmetic work and when I turned it off I could hear liquid hitting the drive way. From the pics below you can see oil with antifreeze pouring out of the flywheel cover. Same color on the dipstick. Now it won't start, starter turns and you can just hear it spinning.

~

~
That totally ****ing sucks bro. I know the feeling. I've blown up a couple motors in my day. Look at the positive. Now you got an excuse to put a new drivetrain in it. That's always fun. Good luck man.

jeffy777

Yeah that sucks. At least you were not left stranded. I have had the blown engine, stranded 100+ miles from home, glad that did not happen. But you bought a HMMWV, and you probably do not want to be as smart as some on this board but if you fix it. You will be getting there. I hope never to be so smart but life keeps doing things to me to make me a little smarter.

Good luck brother. It may not be as bad as you think

Jeff

jake-cutter

Yeah that sucks. At least you were not left stranded. I have had the blown engine, stranded 100+ miles from home, glad that did not happen. But you bought a HMMWV, and you probably do not want to be as smart as some on this board but if you fix it. You will be getting there. I hope never to be so smart but life keeps doing things to me to make me a little smarter.

Good luck brother. It may not be as bad as you think

Jeff
It will get fixed one way or another, just time consuming and may be past my ability but it will get done. I was lucky it was at home, only issue there was it was in the driveway which is at a slight angle and I had to push it up that angle and into the garage. Pretty sure the engine is done as the flywheel just free spins when trying to start it and oil coming from the rear main seal area not a good sign plus the oil/antifreeze mixture. Looking for a 6.5na as that should be a drop in for the 6.2 that died.

Jakob1944

Ordered a Differential Cover from e*** yesterday.....When I was checking fluid levels I noticed the Diff fill plug would screw all the way in...They doped the threads with something.... .I guess someone in Maint. back at Riley thought it had to go all the way in....I'll find out if threads are in the bottom of the 3rd member when I pull the cover...beans on it I'm going to change all the fluids.....also ordered a rear half-shaft because the inner boot is torn.....I can see lots of fun coming my way soon.....

Stonewall

20170124_143603.jpg20170124_143756.jpg

Added some interior dome lights. I got these from popular auction site. I believe that they come out of an armored vehicle of some sort. One is turned to the bright position and the other is turned to the dimmed blue position. I wired them into the horn circuit. Made the mounting brackets out of some flat stock.

avlon01

View attachment 663586View attachment 663587

Added some interior dome lights. I got these from popular auction site. I believe that they come out of an armored vehicle of some sort. One is turned to the bright position and the other is turned to the dimmed blue position. I wired them into the horn circuit. Made the mounting brackets out of some flat stock.
What type of electrical hookups do they need? Any pictures of the connections you made to the horn switch?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Stonewall

I just used standard splice connectors that you can pick up from any home store. The horn circuit is interesting in that when the service drive light switch is on, there is 24vdc available at one of the wires going into the actual horn (up under the bumper). Pressing the horn button connects this circuit to ground. You just tap into that 24 v wire going into the horn with a splice connector. I then used shrink over the splice and wires to provide a relatively tight connection. I ran a ground wire up from the ground connection on the starter, but you could grab a good ground from any number of points.

splice.JPG

What type of electrical hookups do they need? Any pictures of the connections you made to the horn switch?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NormB

Got the heater working.

BEAUTIFUL weather today, figured, hey, couple hours and I'll go for a ride.

Um... yeah, five hours later, including a quick trip to ACE hdwr for new rubber grommets and some hose clamps (went ahead and replaced all the 5/8 hose while I was doing it), replacing the motor (the original intent as the sealed unit was toast), the air intake plenum/big rubber thing, flushing the heater core (which I'll do again formally in a few days as I intend to run some prestone flush in the system, drain it, and replace all the other hoses), and replacing the 3" pipe from the fan housing to the exchange unit (or whatever it's called)...

WOW does this throw out a lot of heat. But it was also around 55 View attachment windshield_142.pdfdegrees outside. Next week will be winter again. Put some cardboard up in the windshields to block the defroster vents, double checked fittings for torque, leaking, buttoned everything up and do plan on a road trip tomorrow.

But as long as the weather's nice, I just might rebuild the steering wheel lock (ACE has cable, aluminum pieces, I have a swaging tool), replace the steering wheel shaft boot, put dynamat insulation on the driver's side firewall, replace the little plastic doo-dads inside the gas pedal bracket so it's more solid/less wobbly, and...

so it goes.

Last edited:

infidel got me

They did exactly that (body work by forklift) I think this Humvee will be a good project for us. It needs a engine and who knows what else, but if it keeps him off of x-box on the weekends, it's worth it to me. He will learn what it takes to fix something when you tear it up or don't maintain it properly. Not to mention he will have one cool ride when were done! Trucks got good bones, just needs a little love LOL ....... I'll post pics. of progress as money and time allows.

ryanruck

You eat a plate of meat there while your rig gets greased up?!
If only! It's a regional restaurant with automotive/motorsports themes. They have cruise ins, bike nights, and best of all, all you can eat wings on Tuesdays! :mrgreen: Looks like they've got one in Bristol and one in Newport News, so not really close to you unfortunately.

I'm going to try to make a couple of the cruise ins with my truck when they start back up in the spring.

The Lube

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
would love to see pictures of the install and what you did to it. Got the delete stuff ok... (and THANKS)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks