• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

NV555

I use it off road mostly. Works great for mowing down sage brush. The LED lights put out very well and i live in a small town 3 stop lights.IMG_20170221_145720547_HDR.jpg

Above is the rear bumper I have been working on.

Last edited:

NV555

Nice work on the rear bumper, too. :beer:

The hole(s) at the bumper returns on the ends is a fine detail; is there also a working reason for them?
They were on there from BAE. The section was from a MRAP a front rack that had connectors like you would attach a snow blade. I think it was for the bomb and mine configuration.

If you didn't notice the star on the front is steel.IMG_20170226_150823799.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

They were on there from BAE. The section was from a MRAP a front rack that had connectors like you would attach a snow blade. I think it was for the bomb and mine configuration.

If you didn't notice the star on the front is steel.
Wow. I didn't pick up on the star until you mentioned it here; excellent detail!

Ddk2001

So - over the past month I decided to deconstruct the interior, do some cleaning up, soundproofing, and then repaint. Stripped down the interior, all seats, insulation, heater core, seat belts, windshields, etc. removed all stickers and backing glue. 2 coats of LizardSkin on the interior and back bed - and 2 coats on the underside of the rear fenders. 2 coats 383 green inside and out. Then 383 Brown, then Flat Black. Picked up some new pieces of tunnel insulation, scrubbed the seat cushions - new heater boot. Reinstalled windshields, put it all back together - including replacing the heater core lines from the motor.

Felt good to get it done - took her out for a nice 50-mile ride today. Now I need to build a console for some sound and cup holders - probably some sort of locking glovebox.

Before, during, and after . . .

32323912643_06d2682128_z_d.jpg

32982795872_260d7e3d6a_z_d.jpg

32323917953_a5bdf53991_z_d.jpg

32982801902_8a9161aa76_z_d.jpg

32756839780_f340ac150f_z.jpg

32294102784_5d2fde20d7_z_d.jpg
32756840320_d365017b43_z_d.jpg

32982801352_d7bfc561cd_z.jpg

32982805362_d9666fb1fa_z.jpg

Last edited:

NV555

So - over the past month I decided to deconstruct the interior, do some cleaning up, soundproofing, and then repaint. Stripped down the interior, all seats, insulation, heater core, seat belts, windshields, etc. removed all stickers and backing glue. 2 coats of LizardSkin on the interior and back bed - and 2 coats on the underside of the rear fenders. 2 coats 383 green inside and out. Then 383 Brown, then Flat Black. Picked up some new pieces of tunnel insulation, scrubbed the seat cushions - new heater boot. Reinstalled windshields, put it all back together - including replacing the heater core lines from the motor.

Felt good to get it done - took her out for a nice 50-mile ride today. Now I need to build a console for some sound and cup holders - probably some sort of locking glovebox.

Before, during, and after . . .

Looks great I saw it on the lot before the auction in June.

ryanruck

I just spent the morning digging mine out from the wreckage of my auto shelter after my house was hit with 65-70 MPH winds this morning. Inside drying off from cleanup since it is still raining. Still have power at least...

Thankfully there was no tornado despite the tornado warning I was under (I was watching storm velocities on RadarScope). A tornado did hit just north of me where my two younger brothers live earlier overnight but they're okay.

IMG_2965.jpg

The only thing that kept it planted were the extra ground anchors I added:

IMG_2966.jpg

Took this at the height of the wind:

IMG_2963.jpg

The only other casualty. Everything else with the truck is okay.

IMG_2967.jpg

Anyone have any extra passenger mirror glass? These were fairly new mirrors since my passenger side was broken when I first got the truck. aua

tobyS

I just spent the morning digging mine out from the wreckage of my auto shelter after my house was hit with 65-70 MPH winds this morning. Inside drying off from cleanup since it is still raining. Still have power at least...

Thankfully there was no tornado despite the tornado warning I was under (I was watching storm velocities on RadarScope). A tornado did hit just north of me where my two younger brothers live earlier overnight but they're okay.

View attachment 668887

The only thing that kept it planted were the extra ground anchors I added:

View attachment 668888

Took this at the height of the wind:

View attachment 668889

The only other casualty. Everything else with the truck is okay.

View attachment 668890

Anyone have any extra passenger mirror glass? These were fairly new mirrors since my passenger side was broken when I first got the truck. aua
You're lucky!! Good to know family is safe, always!

Events tend to happen in 3's, so you might want 2 mirror glasses. Or to shorten the entire sequence, put one on, break it, and put on the second spare...all done.

NormB

So ... Now I need to build a console for some sound and cup holders - probably some sort of locking glovebox.
I sketched out a design for a locking glovebox I'm going to put in the middle of my radio deck. I put together a few mockup pieces last night made from cardboard. Basically it's about 5.5" x 10 deep (top, slightly shorter on bottom) and 10" wide, centered L-R between top/bottom decks. It'll take one piece of 1/8" Al sheet 12"x24" and that includes the front door. Back side will rivet to the two upright connections - tilted a little - but should go together like an erector set (or legos, for those of you NOT among us baby-boomers - and, at 60, I'm just at the tail end of that boom).

I'll post pictures when I get started/finished. Not sledge-proof, but suitable for keeping prying eyes/other from opening it without a lot of noise and hassle.

I need a place to keep my registration/title.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks