• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Wire Fox

Success! Carl lives! Just as I had hoped, charging the battery overnight was the last thing I needed to start. For good measure, I tidied up and installed that +28V terminal so that the alternator wasn't floating, even if it was only going to run for a few seconds...a final look over showed that things were well, so I connected the ground terminal, readied my hearing protection (no exhaust right now and the doghouse is off), switch to run, wait light for 8 seconds and out, then start...fires right up with the smallest plume of black smoke and immediately into a happy idle. I was in absolute disbelief that an engine that has sat for at least 12 months would start and run so well with no new internal parts. I've installed an S3, an alternator, and a starter. That's everything major to the engine. I had changed the oil (old was literally sludge... I'll change it again after I can run the engine for at least an hour under load), the air filter, and the glow plugs were physically inspected and metered to be in near-new condition. My girlfriend was there to witness my expression of disbelief that quite frankly, I still don't know how it started in a half second crank like it did and ran perfectly. Perhaps today was just my day? Heck, my SF-97 arrived today as well. It's really great timing.

I would have let it run longer, but I didn't trust the cooling system to hold up with the fan off (because engine is at an angle with no trans) and my cap on the fan clutch hose failed and started to leak. But it still ran and it ran great! This is definitely motivation to keep charging forward!

Last edited:

infidel got me

Wire fox-- that is great news!!! The bad news is that you will be carrying a thin or empty wallet from now on, cause you are never done working or modding these things.....

Remember a to do and a wish list are basically the same thing lol.

Wire Fox

Wire fox-- that is great news!!! The bad news is that you will be carrying a thin or empty wallet from now on, cause you are never done working or modding these things.....

Remember a to do and a wish list are basically the same thing lol.
Wallet's already empty. I put down a self-issued spending freeze to let the accounts catch back up, but somehow, I still just spent $50 at the parts store getting "little things I need" which did lead to last night's success. Next I'm looking at mounting hardware to bolt the transmission up into frame, plus the proper hose and 1/4-1/8 NPT adapter for the fan clutch QD I have. I already have the trans./t/c adapter, the proper crossmember, and the resilient mount already...so the big ticket items are already there. That will get the engine leveled back out and close up all the open connections so that the engine can run without leaking or overheating...

Another Ahab

Wallet's already empty. I put down a self-issued spending freeze to let the accounts catch back up, but somehow, I still just spent $50 at the parts store getting "little things I need" which did lead to last night's success.
You COULD try a CrowdFund campaign and call it #MVJunkie. Who knows?!

Wire Fox

You COULD try a CrowdFund campaign and call it #MVJunkie. Who knows?!
A neighbor that me and my roommate frequently help out stopped by to talk about the HMMWV while I was working on it a couple weeks ago. He wouldn't leave without giving me $10 to "go buy pizza...and give me a ride when it's done." There might be something to that crowd-funding thing...

Another Ahab

A neighbor that me and my roommate frequently help out stopped by to talk about the HMMWV while I was working on it a couple weeks ago. He wouldn't leave without giving me $10 to "go buy pizza...and give me a ride when it's done." There might be something to that crowd-funding thing...
A great idea is born....

heavyzee

finally got the batteries all charged up on HMMWV #2, and got in the upper radiator hose and thermostat. Installed, filled with water and off for a drive.

HMMWV #1 had the oil pan put back on after finding no oil pressure issues, but rather the noises were coming from a damaged flex plate shroud being ground dwon by the flexplate.... Now i just have to heave the 50lb starter back in place, and we should be driveable!!

Also just got insurance, so i can drive these on the street...

I foresee friday as being drive your HMMWV to work day... wonder if they will Valet it at lunch?

florky

1990 M998 6.2 arrived 12/22

So, here she is arriving at her new home in time for X-Mas
IMG_2212.jpg
Started off by doing the battery compartment and grounding cables
IMG_2359.jpg
Hubs Done
IMG_2436.jpg
She was rough! Missing lots of basic parts - soft top channel, door latches, head lights. Paint was horrible - probably 50% of the tan paint blew off with a general pressure wash. Window frame was almost 80% raw aluminum. Stripper her down of everything removable (except the body)
IMG_2477.jpg
Sandblaster and primed everything
IMG_2546.jpg
Cleaned and painted under body
IMG_2551.jpg
Fresh coat of 383 Green
IMG_2634.jpg
Bedliner for the interior
IMG_2655.jpgIMG_2657.jpg
Most everything was replaced with new parts
IMG_2686.jpg

Continued......................

florky

1990 M998 6.2 arrived 12/22 Part 2

Lots of LED lights
Left , Center and Right circuits from the light bar
USB charging ports
Backup LED Floods
LED Light strip for the cabin
Mini LEDs for cargo lighting
Mini LEDs in the Grill
Backup Camera

All Headlamps, Tail Lights, Marker Lights and Turn signals upgraded to LED

IMG_2749.jpgIMG_2721(1).jpgIMG_2738.jpgIMG_2739.jpgIMG_2741.jpgIMG_2743.jpgIMG_2745.jpgIMG_2757.jpgIMG_2751.jpgIMG_2706.jpg

florky

1990 M998 6.2 arrived 12/22 Part 3

Added racing seats and 4-Point seat belts
IMG_2780.jpgIMG_2760.jpgIMG_2783.jpgIMG_2781.jpgIMG_2759.jpg

She was 99% compete here

IMG_2779.jpgIMG_2772.jpgIMG_2769.jpgIMG_2770.jpgIMG_2775.jpg

New canvas all the way around

Went and picked up the rectangular state sponsored bumper ornament on Monday.

Last edited:

florky

1990 M998 6.2 arrived 12/22 Part 3b

Then these 2 showed up on Saturday.....

1 was listed as a non-runner out of Ft. Sam Houston from the auction on 2/7
Tightened the connection on the smart start and it fired right up!

IMG_2785.jpgIMG_2787.jpg

And still have these projects in my back yard. M931A2 - turning into a shorty.
2 M1101 trailers

M105A2 trailer with an S250 shelter on it
IMG_2727(1).jpgIMG_2726(1).jpg

MY POA HATES ME!!!!!!!
Screw them though - I am following the rules to the letter

More updates on the other projects to come at a later date. This last one was a 10 week non-stop project. I need a break (to work on the 5 Ton )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks